Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have my first informational meeting on Friday! Question on timing.

I've signed up with two local hospitals to get information on their programs and I have my first meeting on Friday. This one says that in addition to the doc appts/labs/tests, they require three support meetings (offered once per month) plus a 10lb weight loss.

So onto my question. If I stick to the schedule and go once per month I could feasibly be done the requirements by mid-July. How soon after you completed all the "stuff" did you get a surgery date (presuming the insurance was quick - I have Harvard Pilgrim and read they are pretty quick)? And how much help did you need at home, i.e. how limited was your activity? I was aiming for a Sept/Oct date but if they offer me an earlier one I'm not sure if I could take it with two kids home during the summer (hence the Sept/Oct plan). Granted they are 8 and 10 so they aren't fully reliant on me, but they do like to keep active :D

Just looking for some feedback. I know I'll get a lot of information over the next few months and it'll likely end up being better to wait until Fall, but I figured I'd see what you guys thought of the process :)

Thank you!! :)

I had no required supervised diet, I started in January the entire process with doctors and testing. They submitted in March, and I was approved 4 or 5 days later. And my surgery date was 5 weeks later (scheduled for May 9th)! So I say for everything to fall into place it takes 4-6 months.

@CJ'sready - everyone is different at recovery times. I really had no 'down time' per se. I was home 36 hrs after surgery and was getting up and down, walking, etc. But - - I also am a Mom and I know an 8 & 10 are still going to need to be watched. Are you a single parent? That may make a difference....

I went to my first appointment in August of 2013. By the time I jumped through all the insurance hoops, program requirements, and medical testing, it was the Thursday before Thanksgiving. My program packet was submitted to my insurance (BCBS Federal Employee) and I was approved that next Monday!

Everybody in the office was on Thanksgiving shutdown, but I got a call for my appointment the Monday after Thanksgiving and was given the next available date which was December 23rd. All in all, it took about five months.

I only remember that I wasn't required to do a period of supervised diet.

The reason that I'm stopping by here is to say I like that one of your hospital programs requires prospective patients to attend support groups. They are an invaluable opportunity for you to ask and learn from the people who've been through it and are at all stages of the process, pre- and post-op. The discussions in the meetings will also raise questions that may not have occurred to you and should be asked of the surgeon and other professionals you'll be speaking with. Take advantage of it.

@CJ'sready - everyone is different at recovery times. I really had no 'down time' per se. I was home 36 hrs after surgery and was getting up and down, walking, etc. But - - I also am a Mom and I know an 8 & 10 are still going to need to be watched. Are you a single parent? That may make a difference....

Nope, married for many years now :) Plus my Mom lives in the same town as me and plans to come over daily to assist as needed.

I only remember that I wasn't required to do a period of supervised diet.

The reason that I'm stopping by here is to say I like that one of your hospital programs requires prospective patients to attend support groups. They are an invaluable opportunity for you to ask and learn from the people who've been through it and are at all stages of the process, pre- and post-op. The discussions in the meetings will also raise questions that may not have occurred to you and should be asked of the surgeon and other professionals you'll be speaking with. Take advantage of it.

I intend to, thank you :) I'm sure there will definitely be stuff that comes up I never considered, even with all the reading/researching I've been doing.