Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, it happens to all of us. We let ourselves take “just a bite,” and it turns into half a pan of brownies. Or we sleep in for one day, and all of a sudden a month goes by without going to the gym. Or there’s a little party a week before surgery, during the liquid pre-op diet, and we sneak in some solid foods.

There are all kinds of ways to get off track. Sometimes it lasts only for a few days. Other times it can last for longer, and lead to a serious stall or even regain. I know it has happened to me: I have seen the scale climb up and realized that it’s not an accident – it’s because I wasn’t eating as strictly as before.

So, when have you gotten off track? How long did it last, what caused it, and how did you get back on? Your stories can help us all be more watchful so we can stay on track!

I'm still pretty much a "straight and narrow" kind of WLS patient (am only 19.5 months post-op).

But several months ago, over a period of several months, I did let my deep affection for dark chocolate with sea salt gradually get the better of me. My portion progressed slowly from 1 square after dinner to 6 squares. Erk!

I had to go cold turkey on chocolate for about 6 weeks. Now I don't crave it anymore. I do eat a square every once in a while, but not every day.

I figure that won't be the last time dark chocolate tries to make me her bitch. I figure this is real life now -- eat what's healthy, don't get over-hungry, stay hydrated, be mindful and observe what's happening and adjust as needed.

BTW, I once said that I thought it ought to be "required" of all WLS patients after they reached goal to regain 10 pounds and then successfully re-lose it. I still think that's not a bad idea -- re-losing skills seem consonant with and necessary for weight maintenance. :)

I did with bread last few months banana muffins to be exact :( ... When I saw I had gained 5lbs I got so scare! Came here and ask a few people and they gave me some advice on how to get back on track..

I went back to Protein Shakes replace meals with it and just fish or chicken and still working on dropping the extra lbs I put on! I do a lot of cardio with dancing so I got that to help me out too!

Edited by agalindo17

I've been in a bit of a 'holding pattern' for a few weeks.

I think it started at a bit of a stall, but that developed into something more..

Nothing dramatic of course..

But you know how we can get when there's no scale movement...

There's also been some stuff going on in my life...

Some really good...

Some not so good..

Nothing as dramatic or confronting as many of the people here...

But it's stuff nonetheless..

And I think I've laid some blame on said stuff...

I know it's no excuse of course...

But as hard as it may be to believe sometimes - I'm only human...

Anyway, i've recently had an upswing in positives...

Partly due to a purge (on a couple of levels)...

But also due to a bit or a return of my "f**k you" attitude...

I've decided that my tolerance for fools and ignorance is right for me...

I don't have to pretend I'm nice...

I'm me and I'm ok with that...

I'm not sure how all the changes fit together, but the result has been positive..

I'm back to tracking my Protein and Water...

(Yesterday, I actually cooked for the first time in a LOOOONG time...

Prawn, lentil and peas... High Protein, a few carbs and VERY tasty)

I'm back to twice a day at the gym...

I'm looking at some things in a new light...

And it's good...

Perhaps now the scale might move again...

I guess time will tell...

At five months after VSG I was clicking along, well on track for my weight loss target. Then came almost two months of extensive travel, being on the road almost every week. This included a week-long sales meeting, a week of vacation and a week of training plus some other trips. I got completely off track from my diet and also consumed way more alcohol than I should have.

Long and short, my weight loss stopped in its tracks. I think I lost two pounds over two months. The good news was that despite all of this I didn't gain anything.

Getting back on track meant going back to basics. A return to tracking all of my intake, with a focus on Protein and limiting carbs. Plus a re-dedication to physical activity and exercise. The combination of these has gotten my weight loss moving again.

Edited by shriner37

Thanks for sharing these stories! I think it is really important to take an honest look at what went wrong and how to fix it to be able to prevent it or at least handle it sooner in the future. @@VSGAnn2014, I love it! That is definitely a skill we could all use! @@shriner37, yes, back to basics is often what it comes down to!

Usually when I get off track it's at the gym. If I skip a day, then I say well I go tomorrow and that turns into next week and y'all know the rest.

The last few weeks I have been eating more food (nut recommended) I still track everything to give me an idea, but I have incorporated more normal food. bread here and there (unfortunately I haven't found a good my pouch doesn't still love). I just make sure it's in moderation, that way I don't get too of track.

Yes I am way off track. So much that I have gained 40 lb! Not sure when it started. Two or three years ago? Gradually gaining and not doing anything about it. So I am reading lots here and gaining motivation and ideas to change my eating habits. I see I have been eating way too much carb, not drinking enough and not enough Protein. I have not seen one support person, ie nut or psyc since pre op.

BTW I had a lap band in 2008.

Things are done very differently over there, and I am finding these discussions very helpful. Thanks for bringing up all these topics Alex.

Last year I got off track due to hip pain and a bad relationship experience..and maybe a certain maintenance fatigue? I got about 10-12# over goal and said " enough!" Been back at goal since last fall!

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App