Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I had my gastric sleeve done on Tuesday and today was tough! I've been craving solid foods and I feel hungry. I thought that the removal of the hunger hormone (gherlin) was suppose to end that feeling of hunger or craving. I also had a hiatal hernia that got fixed while having the sleeve done. I guess I feel confused and a bit worried that I'm not going to lose weight or stretch my stomach out because I'm feeling hungry. My doctor told me to drink a liter of liquids to avoid dehydration, but it's been difficult to drink that much because I feel restriction.

I had the lap band done back in 2010 and had it removed in 2015 because it was a complete nightmare and did not work for me at all!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you're feeling such restriction that getting your fluids in is a challenge, then the hunger you've got is "head hunger".

Believe me when I tell you, your sleeve wouldn't let you eat enough to harm yourself at this point. You might take a bite or two, and likely it would could come right back up again.

I felt the same the third day I wanted to eat a piece of watermelon since my mom and daughter we eating it, I did and I was like just the juice and man that was a bad idea I felt so sick after that! Lol lesson learn, I also couldn't get all that liquid in even now I still have issues with drinking that much Water but do try with my protein! Is a learning process so don't get discourage and trust me when I say our hormones will play tricky games too! After a week I felt like I made the worst mistake of my life and came here and I was not alone! We all go thru different emotions hang in there and try to not give in the food so u don't get sick!

Best of luck!

Thank you for your encouragement! I've never joint a group before (even with the lap band) and I know I'm going to need as much support as possible in this journey.

You are absolutely right about the hormones playing tricks on us! I'm feeling really emotional and ashamed about having this surgery done. I really don't know why, but I know I have to take it a day at a time. Thank you

Just keep coming back in here @@carolina07

There's support and such everywhere here...

All you gotta do is ask...

@@carolina07 -- I had the lapband back in 2006 and had it removed in 2010. It was a disaster--sick all the time and never any weight loss. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to the updates of your success. I know a lot of sleeve success stories that started with lapband nightmares so perhaps it is head hunger. I hope for your sake it is. Speedy recovery!

Forgot to say that I am scheduled for the sleeve next month and have the same fears that you do regarding my hunger.

I had the same thing right after surgery and I was "WTF?" and angry that I had this surgery and was hungry. For me it was a combination of head hunger and stomach acid. Took a stronger PPI for a month and it helped a lot.

The hunger never really did go away though. I just learned that it took A LOT less food to satiate it. For me it is the power of the sleeve as I know that eating a little goes a long way. I still after a year though, sometimes order too much food at a restaurant, or fix myself too big of a plate of food. Still learning!

Hi! I had my gastric sleeve done on Tuesday and today was tough! I've been craving solid foods and I feel hungry. I thought that the removal of the hunger hormone (gherlin) was suppose to end that feeling of hunger or craving. I also had a hiatal hernia that got fixed while having the sleeve done. I guess I feel confused and a bit worried that I'm not going to lose weight or stretch my stomach out because I'm feeling hungry. My doctor told me to drink a liter of liquids to avoid dehydration, but it's been difficult to drink that much because I feel restriction.

I had the lap band done back in 2010 and had it removed in 2015 because it was a complete nightmare and did not work for me at all!

Thanks in advance for any advice

But how are u feeling? I am getting the sleeve done and they r going to fix my hernia .

Sent from my SM-G928P using the BariatricPal App

@@koddie I've been doing a lot of research on "head hunger" but for some reason I'm getting hunger pains or so I thought they were hunger pains. I'm leaning to listen to my body and what it's doing. My surgery is so new and all the changes are happening so quickly I'm trying to catch up, but I know I have to be patient and take it a day at a time.

@@leahhindi the lap band was such a terrible experience for me physically, mentally and emotionally I didn't want to hear anything about the sleeve or any other form of weight loss surgery for a very long time! The aftermath of the lab band put me on a terrible downward spiral of depression that I ended gaining the 60lbs that I lost from it (vomiting all day of course) and then some. I was and I'm still very nervous about the sleeve surgery because of my experience with the lap band, but I have faith that this time around is going to be different and I'm going to be successful with my weight loss goals. Good luck on your surgery!

@@slvarltx what's PPI? I'm kinda pissed about feeling hungry, but I know I have to be patient and let my body heal. Thank you for your advice

@@wasa9575 I'm on day 5 and I'm still very soar, but my doctor said it's mostly because of the hiatal hernia (it was pretty big). I'm glad she fixed it though! Good luck on your surgery!

I remember those days I used to try to eat sugar free Popsicle they became my best friends for the first few weeks and it will help the hunger feeling... After a few weeks I didn't feel hungry at all and I will eat and drink Protein because I knew u had to and taste buds are so different too!

@@carolina07 -- When I went back to my surgeon, I wanted the lapband removed -- PERIOD! This was after 4 years of suffering with non-stop vomiting. The reason I never lost any weight is because I figured out that the only foods I could eat that I would not vomit from was crackers, and other carby junk foods. My dr very quickly tried to talk me into the sleeve instead of having the lapband removed. I felt it was a very drastic measure and not one I was ready for so I outright refused his advice. Can't believe 5+ years later this is back on the table :-) You just never know where life will take you.

Edited by leahhindi

The hunger feeling that you are feeling is actually dehydration..increase your fluids and you will be feeling better soon. I even had to drink some Gatorade..I am now almost 6 months out and I am 7 pounds from goal weight..I feel fantastic..if I can help let me know

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the BariatricPal App