Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks today, on a 4 week STALL! HELP!

Ok, so, I'm 6 weeks today. I was prepared for the dreaded 3 week stall, so when I didn't lose week in week 3, I was ok. then it went on...and on... Now, 6 weeks out and I've only lost weight in the first 2 weeks post op. I lost 16 pounds in those two weeks, but COME ON! My clothes are looser, however what's going on? I know our bodies freak out because we're in starvation mode, but it's got to let go of some of this sooner or later! I'm following all the rules: Water, Protein, eat slowly, Protein first, low carbs etc. Also, I walk every day. Has anyone gone through this and any good suggestions? Thanks!

Oh Yes we all go through it. Your doing everything you should do. Some people have many stalls which last for weeks on end. Others hardly have them. It all depends on your body. I was sleeved 9 weeks ago and have had 2 stalls for a total of 5 weeks. It is very frustrating to not see the scale go done so soon out of surgery. Perhaps this thread will help get you through this stall.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

How many calories a day are you eating? Perhaps you should increase them a little bit and see if that helps. I know it sounds like it would be counteractive to do that, but it really does work.

tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery, I only lost my first week (24 lbs), but haven't lost since. It's very frustrating, but my dr and nutritionist say it's completely normal. Keep up the good work.

I'm having the same issue. 5 weeks out today and down 30 since surgery, 27 of that was the first week. My surgeon says he's never seen it before and wants me to lose 10lbs within the next two weeks. (Now week and a half)... Basically if I don't lose 10 by next Thursday I have to call him and find out what the problem is.

I was 325 to start, 303 the day of surgery, and 273 now. My clothes are falling off and people notice which makes me feel good... Except I'm stalled and have been. I'd like to and need to lose 80lbs before the end of August... I go to the gym, meet my Water and Protein goals, and finally stopped throwing everything I ate up. (Doc said I should have lost more than 3lbs in 3 weeks because of the puking too.)

And today the scale at work read 275... I'm kinda scared I did this for nothing and that I'll be genetically predispositioned to be this size forever.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm having the same issue. 5 weeks out today and down 30 since surgery, 27 of that was the first week. My surgeon says he's never seen it before and wants me to lose 10lbs within the next two weeks. (Now week and a half)... Basically if I don't lose 10 by next Thursday I have to call him and find out what the problem is.

I was 325 to start, 303 the day of surgery, and 273 now. My clothes are falling off and people notice which makes me feel good... Except I'm stalled and have been. I'd like to and need to lose 80lbs before the end of August... I go to the gym, meet my Water and Protein goals, and finally stopped throwing everything I ate up. (Doc said I should have lost more than 3lbs in 3 weeks because of the puking too.)

And today the scale at work read 275... I'm kinda scared I did this for nothing and that I'll be genetically predispositioned to be this size forever.

Sent from my iPhone

For me it is very dangerous territory to set a timeline on the number of pounds lost. That can lead to some really destructive and counterproductive behavior.

Are you tracking your food?

Are you getting in all of your Protein and fluids? What is your protein target?

Are you avoiding starches, added sugars, and fried foods?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Are you exercising?

It sounds to me like you are doing fine, especially if you have noticed that you are losing inches.

Please resist the urge to restrict your protein, it won't help you lose the weight your surgeon expects and will slow things down even more.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Sent from my iPhone

For me it is very dangerous territory to set a timeline on the number of pounds lost. That can lead to some really destructive and counterproductive behavior.

Are you tracking your food?

Are you getting in all of your Protein and fluids? What is your protein target?

Are you avoiding starches, added sugars, and fried foods?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Are you exercising?

It sounds to me like you are doing fine, especially if you have noticed that you are losing inches.

Please resist the urge to restrict your protein, it won't help you lose the weight your surgeon expects and will slow things down even more.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'm meeting a minimum of 64 oz Water, 65 g protein, and have been tracking my food. I take Snacks of a cheese stick and deli meat to work and have a 4oz meal prepared for lunch or dinner and am lucky to get get half of it down before I'm full. (Experienced that "one bite too much" too often now)... I refuse to eat anything fried and no bread. The only starch I'll have are these protein enriched mashed potatoes which my NUT gave me the recipe for and I do keep track of everything. Even the accidental bite of ranch dressing yesterday at my second job as I filled the salad dressings. (Immediately felt awful and knew it was a bad habit that had to be broken)

Vitamins, Calcium, and hair-skin-nails, all of them are being taken as they should daily. Getting to the gym isn't always easy but I do go at least 4 times per week and walk another 7 miles a day. (4 at work, 3 at home).

It's driving me nuts that I'm at this stall and the scale is going up even just a little.

Sent from my iPhone

I had a stall that began at 2 weeks and ran for 3 & 1/2 or 4 weeks (forget exactly). Now losing again, not quite as fast as those first two weeks (a pound per day), but it looks like maybe 3lb/week or so now.

I was sleeved on February 29, 2016. At my 2 week post op I was down 14 lbs. I thought it would have been more. I am now starting my 6 week and only lost two more pounds. Very discouraging. I am following everything on my protocol with the exception of not hitting my Protein for a few days and exercising. I have severe arthritis in both knees, so right now all I can do is stationary bike. I will be starting Water aerobics next week. I log my food and I average 500 calories a day. After reading all the posts...I'm thinking I may need to up my calories a bit. I was also diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, which I had no idea I had till I got on the operating table and was actually in A fib. I was referred to a Cardiologist and had to wear a heart monitor and it showed I had a few more episodes of afib. So now I'm on blood thinners and I'm thinking I could have a stroke at any time! (probably not likely, but it's all I can think of), guess I'm having a little pity party for myself :)

I was sleeved on February 29, 2016. At my 2 week post op I was down 14 lbs. I thought it would have been more. I am now starting my 6 week and only lost two more pounds. Very discouraging. I am following everything on my protocol with the exception of not hitting my Protein for a few days and exercising. I have severe arthritis in both knees, so right now all I can do is stationary bike. I will be starting Water aerobics next week. I log my food and I average 500 calories a day. After reading all the posts...I'm thinking I may need to up my calories a bit. I was also diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, which I had no idea I had till I got on the operating table and was actually in A fib. I was referred to a Cardiologist and had to wear a heart monitor and it showed I had a few more episodes of afib. So now I'm on blood thinners and I'm thinking I could have a stroke at any time! (probably not likely, but it's all I can think of), guess I'm having a little pity party for myself :)

I agree that upping your calories is probably a good idea. Especially if you aren't hitting your protein numbers.

Yes these stalls are very frustrating. But what makes it worse is when you have incorrect information. When I called to verify I was doing the correct things he said I was and if I am frustrated to see my psych again. My surgeon doesn't have a NUT so I was going by what he told me to do. I lost 13 pounds the first week and had a stall 10 days out that lasted almost until the end of the month when I finally dropped another 9 pounds. The second month I lost only 5 pounds and have been in a stall for over 3 weeks. I finally called a Bariatric Dietitian in my county and paid out of pocket for 2 hours of her time. She immediately upped my Protein from what the Dr had said 41 grams to 80 to 100 grams. The Dr had told me to stop drinking Protein and the NUT said to keep drinking protein. The Dr gave me no idea of what I should be eating and the NUT looked over my previous month's food meals I had tracked and told me what foods I was eating to take out of my meals as they were loaded with salt. She said within the next 2 weeks I should see a drastic change in my weight loss. I haven't weighed since I have made these changes. I do have my 3 month followup on April 20th so we shall see what results I get this month and it better be more than 5 pounds.

Best advise I can give is if you haven't been tracking what you eat start doing so. Also see a NUT.

Yes these stalls are very frustrating. But what makes it worse is when you have incorrect information. When I called to verify I was doing the correct things he said I was and if I am frustrated to see my psych again. My surgeon doesn't have a NUT so I was going by what he told me to do. I lost 13 pounds the first week and had a stall 10 days out that lasted almost until the end of the month when I finally dropped another 9 pounds. The second month I lost only 5 pounds and have been in a stall for over 3 weeks. I finally called a Bariatric Dietitian in my county and paid out of pocket for 2 hours of her time. She immediately upped my Protein from what the Dr had said 41 grams to 80 to 100 grams. The Dr had told me to stop drinking protein and the NUT said to keep drinking protein. The Dr gave me no idea of what I should be eating and the NUT looked over my previous month's food meals I had tracked and told me what foods I was eating to take out of my meals as they were loaded with salt. She said within the next 2 weeks I should see a drastic change in my weight loss. I haven't weighed since I have made these changes. I do have my 3 month followup on April 20th so we shall see what results I get this month and it better be more than 5 pounds.

Best advise I can give is if you haven't been tracking what you eat start doing so. Also see a NUT.

Glad you were able to find a good NUT. Your surgeon's 40 grams of protein guidelines were ludicrous.

I agree. 40g of Protein us not much. My surgeon told me if nothing else when stalled name sure you get 60 to 80g of protein and limit salt. I hope your NUT advice did magic for ya!! Keep us posted

I'm six weeks out having problems remembering to chew chew chew. Overfilling stomach. Now anxious to eat. Anyone having this problem.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App