Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year after sleeve surgery can you eat a whole bagel with cream cheese?

@@Gail Ann,

I think it makes sense to be able to eat a whole bagel with cream cheese a year after getting the sleeve. A bagel is only a few ounces, so that’s a reasonable volume and weight for a single meal.

I think it really underscores the importance of food choices in addition to quantity of food. Even with eating only a few ounces at a time, it’s possible to face weight regain if those ounces are calorie-dense or high in sugars, starches, or fat. Eating a few ounces of ice cream, brownies, French fries, or pizza multiple times a day is way different than eating a few ounces of Protein and vegetables.

I would also wonder about eating one meal a day. It seems like it would be hard to get all the nutrients you need in one meal without stretching your sleeve. For example, a large bagel with, say, 2 ounces of cream cheese has only about 15 grams of Protein. Add your yogurt, and you’re still at only about 25-30 grams of protein a day. What did your nutritionist or surgeon recommend? Most suggest at least 65 grams a day.

Also, as some of the others said, I would worry about the future – is one meal a day sustainable long term? I am definitely a fan of doing whatever works for your individual case even if it’s not what the majority says, but just make sure you think it through and are honest with yourself!

Like the others said, you might want to use the internet to find some sources of protein and also some suggestions for healthy post-op Bariatric Eating. Good luck!

Quest Protein bars are very portable. There are also some salty Protein Snacks like nuts but don't overdo them. I get individual serving packs and I can take them with me ANYWHERE. I also ship premier Protein shakes to whichever conference I am going to so that I always have some on hand. I use the vanilla Premier Protein as the Creamer in my coffee every morning. I'm not sure if you are flying or driving, but you can always pick up Premier Protein shakes from any wal-mart or sam's club and then put them in a cooler in your car or in the mini-bar in your hotel room (or even an ice bucket if you don't have a mini-bar).

If you were not told what to eat. Have you had your blood levels checked? If you are only eating once per day and its a bagel you could have a nutritional deficiency and should get your levels checked. Mine are checked every three months.