Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I am 3.5 mo post sleeve surgery and lost 37 lb.

I eat almost anything but i noticed that Proteins seem to get stuck in my stomach.

Meaning i can eat Cookies and chocolate (I try to not over indulge) and feel ok, also fruits and veggies pass ok.

But proteins like meat and eggs make me feel like the food is stuck.

After an hour or so it gets better.

Also bread, pizza etc is horrible.

Nuts, muesli seem yo irtitate my stomach so I avoid them.

Also I am still on PPIs.

When were you able to eat anything but in small quantities?

When did u leave PPIs?

Thanks.

Proteins seem to get stuck in my stomach.

@@denisa

dense Protein (chicken et al)

must be chewed slllllowly and thoroughly eaten slow

teeny pieces only

(of course all food should be eaten, chewed in small pieces)

these foods can "feel" stuck

I THINK that's a fallacy

nothing actually, literally gets/is stuck

just a bad uncomfortable feeling :wacko:

Cookies, chocolate, Protein Bars, popcorn? ?

all those yummy things that are sliders

they unfortunately go down the system way too easy

don't, won't feel stuck

we need to avoid them

you can eat too much too easily

calories, calories, and more calories :blink:

i don't really remember when i was able to eat bits of all foods

at your time period of 3.5 months i was eating more variety,

many people (newbies et al) are scared/upset they will never eat certain yummy stuff again

Not true - you will be able to eat a teeny bite of all foods

(but it should be calculated in MFP or wherever you are recording foods)

in my case, i choose to abstain at times from my favorite foods

it can be tooo hard for me to be teased with a small amount of something i love

rather not have any

Prilosec - i have taken since day 1

doc has no intention of taken me off them

no prob with that

good luck

keep up the good work

20 lbs down!!!

can we say WooHoo!!!

kathy

Hi

I am 3.5 mo post sleeve surgery and lost 37 lb.

I eat almost anything but i noticed that Proteins seem to get stuck in my stomach.

Meaning i can eat Cookies and chocolate (I try to not over indulge) and feel ok, also fruits and veggies pass ok.

But Proteins like meat and eggs make me feel like the food is stuck.

After an hour or so it gets better.

Also bread, pizza etc is horrible.

Nuts, muesli seem yo irtitate my stomach so I avoid them.

Also I am still on PPIs.

When were you able to eat anything but in small quantities?

When did u leave PPIs?

Thanks.

Just want to say this, because I am shocked (and sad) that you're eating things like bread, Cookies, pizza and other horrible things just 3.5 months out.

You should not be eating any of that. You should be eating healthy proteins, veggies and complex carbs. You can eat anything sure, and eventually could reincorporate things like a slice of pizza or a cookie for special occasions... but right now? All you are doing is ruining the time right after the sleeve to throw out all of the bad-for-you food and eating habits and relearn how to eat healthy foods.

All patients just about can lose weight for the first year or so even eating total crap like that. But the real reason to have the surgery is to give yourself time to start over - remove the aching hunger and the lack of Portion Control (the sleeve does this) and you can rebuild healthy eating habits from the ground up. If you don't do this, and continue to eat crap foods more often than not, then eventually your body adjusts to the small portions and the hunger comes back (especially since you've already introduced all those carby/sugary bad-for-you foods this early) and you will regain the weight. And you'll bemoan the fact that the sleeve failed you. But it didn't fail. YOU will, by not taking this time to stop eating crap foods and get a healthy eating pattern installed when you had the chance. Don't let that happen to you after all the hard work and major surgery!!

As far as food getting stuck? You're either eating too fast, not chewing it up enough, or eating too much. Measure/weight your food, chew until it is mush, and take some time doing it.

And I was off PPI within 3 ish months. I think most docs I've read want you off of them by 6 months at the longest. You should not be taking them long-term (especially with studies coming out showing an increase in Alzheimer's and kidney damage with long-term usage).

Please take my comments as wanting you to enjoy maximum success. I failed with a lapband..partly not understanding how to eat. I found much success with the sleeve, losing 150# in 14 months (and maintaining for years now), but I had to understand how to do this. In the early months I strongly encourage you to eat dense,lean protein(fish, chicken, beef, other seafood etc.) As your main food each meal. Eat it slowly, chew carefully. You will get full really fast! It takes a small quantity! Then have a few bites of healthy veggies. My program called for doing that 5x a day. If you are mostly compliant with that you will have long term success.

I am now four years out and I do sometimes"splurge" but it is in a controlled, not daily kind of thing. During the losing phase, following the bariatric recommendations most of the time is really important.

Good luck, I do know it's difficult and most of us aren't perfect...but being consistently compliant is key.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I am 8 mos out and I eat everything. popcorn and nuts. I eat Beans, Pasta and bread sparingly. It fills me up too quickly. I've posted before and I've received negative comments about my eating habits. But it works for me. I started at 200 and I now weigh 133...and I don't fluctuate much. I eat many times a day, but 4 or 5 bites. I don't log my food or count anything. Maybe I'm being naive or getting cocky...but I've done that my whole life and I feel free now. I can definitely eat more now. I don't think I've stretched out my stomach. I can eat very little in the morning, but as the day goes on I can eat more. I never drink alcohol, carbonated drinks, or juice. I eat chips, tacos, English muffins and Peanut Butter, turkey Jerky, nuts, cheese, pizza, etc. Sweets aren't my thing, and if I do eat them, it's a few bites. Don't eat ice cream. I love cheeseburgers (half with one bun). A taquito. Half a piece of chicken and four bites of salad with ranch. A few fries. Sweet potato. No fruit really. I eat what I want when I want...just four or five bites. I would really have to work at it all day and make myself uncomfortable to gain weight. I don't know if this is bad advice, but it works for me. I never took PPI's. You'll do what works for you. To be honest, I will always be a food addict. My bad cravings really never went away, but I can't indulge now. If I had to eat chicken and veggies the rest of my life I'd be very unhappy. I want to eat healthy now to feel good...not just be skinny. I'm only 8 months out. I might be changing my tune if I put on weight in the years to come. ????

If it's working, it doesn't need fixing. We each can only share our individual experiences, and mine included "how to fail with WLS without really trying" and if someone asks for feedback, I share my story.

There are too many people who don't get to their goal or regain later. I did both of those things with the band and I learned my lesson.

It sounds like I eat boring, but that isn't true at all -I eat wonderfully delish food, high quality...but not alot of Cookies and stuff like that.

I personally experienced significant increase in hunger 2-3 years post sleeve and I think those good habits helped me maintain through all that. But,I am only an expert on ME, so take all for what it's worth.

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

IMHO the "stuck" sensation from dense Protein is the behavioral feedback/modification of Portion Control (and eating slowly and taking small bites) that we get with WLS. If we eat around that, long term success is highly unlikely.

Use the tool and it will work for you.

Good luck and keep posting.

You've listed a lot of things at 3.5 months that m6 post op food stage list doesn't allow. The first 5 months are really healing and learning how to live wi th your sleeve. I'd recommend going back to documents from ur surgeon or make an appt with your NUT to review nutritional requirements and needs at the stage you are in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

And I'll add that maybe doing some Googling about the health of wls people years and years out. I don't mean regain stories. Many folks sleeve, bypass, ds eat "whatever" and lose. Years out you see increase in bone breaks, strange nerve problems in legs to name two. My hubs is a PT and sees sick wls post ops regularly. Things there are no cure for.....Maybe th is will help motivate you toward nutrition first. Good luck with your journey. I really think the stuck feeling is because ur body is not ready yet at 3.5 for dense Proteins.

6 months (autocowrong)

I was off PPI within 3 ish months. I think most docs I've read want you off of them by 6 months at the longest. You should not be taking them long-term (especially with studies coming out showing an increase in Alzheimer's and kidney damage with long-term usage).

@@FrankiesGirl

i have heard similarities on your comment about PPI's

i'm gonna give my doc/nut a call monday

check/discuss subject

thanx bud

kathy

Hi

Thank you all for the responses.

First I never said I only eat junk and no nutritional food, what I wanted to know was if you notice the same differences.

Everybody's food plan is different. Mine says that solid food means I can eat anything.

I found that nuts and dough in general makes me feel bad, so I avoid it.

I eat on a daily basis Protein, veggies and fruits and I take my vits regularly.

I eat once a day fruit or 2 dried dates, thats my sugar.

In the weekends i sometimes nibble something sweet because I enjoy food and deprivation was what brought me to 70 lbs overweight.

I was a regular semi chubby teen(now looking back at the pics I looked ok) and started dieting at 14 yo.

This cycle of deprivation and bingeing brought me here.

I dieted all my life so I am not dieting anymore, I do eat healthy because I now treat my body with kindness and bcause health and not weight loss is my primary goal.

I run and ride a bicycle 3-4 times a week and although I am still overweight and something like 30 or 40 lbs from goal, I feel better.

You all jumped and judged me preaching me about my food choices.

I just wanted you to tell me it is going to be ok. The Proteins will go down better in the future and you will feel better.

So again, my questions were for all the veterans sleevers, how long it took you to be able to eat animal Protein without it being stuck?

Is it normal?

And what about bread and pizza?

I can eat cheeses soft and hard, fruits and veggies with no prob.

eggs, fish , poultry and meat feel stuck.

I eat small quantities and I stop when the first sign of fullness comes.

Ppis solw down the acid and enzyme production in thr stimach, i tried not taking ppis and it felt awful, acid reflux, lots of liquids moviing in my stomach and burning.

I was told that the decrease in stomach enzymes dimishes the ability to digest.

So one last question:

Did u notice a difference in the food digestion after leaving the PPIs?

Thanks

D

Not a veteran but i wanted to apologize if my post felt judgey. So many on here do not seem to have nutrition guidelines and post food based questions so I think we tend to jump to guidelines guidelines! If we do not have the whole story.

I am pre op and keep forgetting how diff post op plans really are. I can't start "eating anything I want" until 6 months. So when I saw that for 3

5 months, I assumed you were rushing your sleeve and not following protocals. "My bad".

I have read here and elsewhere people do come around to dense Proteins...ofc like all things wls the when is "it depends. I have even seen some posts stating they still struggle with chicken specifically after a year.

I notice it seems to make a difference is its just a grilled chicken breast or if it's like stewed in a cockpit or ground up. So I wonder from this side of the surgery if chicken is a sleeve readiness thing, a chew thing or both.

Sounds like ur doing great hope you get the Protein piece crowd sourcing you need.

Again, sorry.

Lol crockpot!!!

Phone won't let me edit my autocowrongs