Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm Failing...Miserably :(

I wanted this badly! All this time I've been so concerned about insurance requirements and whatnots but I've already failed at loosing the measly 10lbs my surgeon asked me to loose before surgery....For 3 months now Ive been through NUT visits. The 2nd visit I was down 5lbs. Tomorrow should be my last NUT visit and Im still at the same weight I was before less 1 stinkin lb!!!...why? well trust me...I've been getting in my Protein, Water, and veggies. But after doing that for 5 days straight, I tend to head towards the junk side of food on day 6, then back to 5-6 days of clean eating....then another day of junk. I cant seem to stop this pattern/cycle.

When I last visited my surgeons office, the NP told me I needed to go strictly on liquid now and said "Its time to get serious" (Mind you, I was told to do this when I don't even have a surgery date) I'm sure she was thinking "YOU'VE ONLY LOST 1 LB???" Needless to say for the past week ive been drinking Protein shakes, Water and tea, with little steam or grill veggies...and yet, Im only down 1lb since my last NUT appt. Ive also began walking during my breaks at work (30 mins, 3 days).

The Dr didn't seem concerned with my slow weight loss and actually gave me hope, but the nurse practitioner was...Plus I am afraid that my Nutritionist will be too on tomorrow. Im so embarrassed to even go in there tomorrow. I was hoping to have this surgery approved and by end of Spring, but by the looks of my lack of success I don't think I'll get that far.

Ive completed all of my insurance and surgery requirements, have had all testing and required procedures done...yet Im feeling like a total failure and wondering if I should just give it up.

Edited by reachbree

The reason we all need this surgery is we can't do it on our own. Don't beat yourself up! Just because you are having difficulty now doesn't mean you'll have this trouble post surgery. You're not a failure!!!! Keep your head up. Maybe you'll be surprised and they'll actually give you a date! Positive thoughts coming your way!!!

Every Dr and insurance Co has a different protocol. They do need to know you are serious and committed. The weight loss is one indicator. I would not worry about it now. There is nothing else you can do before a pending appointment. Tell them in person how hard this has been and see why they say. If you passed the psych evaluation I don't think you will be precluded. Keep your chin up. Post surgery the sleeve helps but you can still mess it up if you don't follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It kind of sounds like you may be hitting the 3rd week stall before you even get the surgery. It is the same concept, you lost some weight fast and now your body is trying to catch up. You will start loosing again if you stick with the diet long-term. Also stress creates cortisol which will also slow down weight loss. Just hang in there and stop worrying. You will do fine. I'm sure this is not the first time they have seen this in your Doc's office.

You're not failing anything or anyone. It's an emotional roller-coaster. Do your best because you deserve your best and make sure to be compassion towards yourself. You need help which the surgery will give you. No worries. You're All good.

Update:

Thanks so much for the responses!

I had my NUT appointment earlier today and it went rather well. Despite only being down 1 more pound the RD assured me that I was doing well and that she and my surgeons office focus is really that I not gain any weight during this period and so far I've managed to go down, instead of up. She said she was putting in good notes for me and clearing me as a last appt and ready for surgery! I am going to take every tool and tip that she has given me and shoot for success! She has given me yet, more hope so Im hanging in there and looking forward to this.

Now it's time to submit that pile of paperwork! (is it really all that much?)

I wanted this badly! All this time I've been so concerned about insurance requirements and whatnots but I've already failed at loosing the measly 10lbs my surgeon asked me to loose before surgery....For 3 months now Ive been through NUT visits. The 2nd visit I was down 5lbs. Tomorrow should be my last NUT visit and Im still at the same weight I was before less 1 stinkin lb!!!...why? well trust me...I've been getting in my Protein, Water, and veggies. But after doing that for 5 days straight, I tend to head towards the junk side of food on day 6, then back to 5-6 days of clean eating....then another day of junk. I cant seem to stop this pattern/cycle.

When I last visited my surgeons office, the NP told me I needed to go strictly on liquid now and said "Its time to get serious" (Mind you, I was told to do this when I don't even have a surgery date) I'm sure she was thinking "YOU'VE ONLY LOST 1 LB???" Needless to say for the past week ive been drinking Protein shakes, Water and tea, with little steam or grill veggies...and yet, Im only down 1lb since my last NUT appt. Ive also began walking during my breaks at work (30 mins, 3 days).

The Dr didn't seem concerned with my slow weight loss and actually gave me hope, but the nurse practitioner was...Plus I am afraid that my Nutritionist will be too on tomorrow. Im so embarrassed to even go in there tomorrow. I was hoping to have this surgery approved and by end of Spring, but by the looks of my lack of success I don't think I'll get that far.

Ive completed all of my insurance and surgery requirements, have had all testing and required procedures done...yet Im feeling like a total failure and wondering if I should just give it up.

You can do this!! Just keep your head up and remember you are in control not the food and if you are religious then pray for the strength to keep going on this journey you have worked hard to get to this point.

Sent from my Z812 using the BariatricPal App