Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Theme Park strategies

We are heading out for Spring Break vacation and planned going to various park across Central Florida. This will be the first time in years that I might actually fit on some rides (I'm at 280 now), so I am excited about that. My concern is what to eat and bring with me into the parks for food. I don't want to sabotage my hard work by eating garbage in there. I wanted to see if you guys had any idea on what to eat in there. I was going to pack some beef Jerky and maybe nuts, but I couldn't really thing of anything. Everything I eat now for the most part requires refrigeration. I know in some of the parks I will be able to get salads, but I want to be prepared in situations where I can't.

I have been to several theme parks post-op. I usually pack peanuts and turkey sticks. But some theme parks have pretty decent options as well. I have been able to buy beef sticks or turkey sticks, cups with cheese and pepperoni, and yogurt at snack stands within the parks. I also once bought some chicken tenders and stripped all the breading off. And one time I bought a hamburger and just ate about half the patty/cheese without the bun.

Beef Jerky is definitely my favorite. Protein bars? Single serve packages of Peanut Butter or almond butter and then hopefully they will have an apple somewhere that you could eat with the PB? How about a big turkey leg that some fairs have? If all else fails, I think I would order a burger with no cheese and no mayo and then just eat the meat (with some pickles or onions, etc. for a little veggie). On vacation, I took a scoop of vanilla Protein powder (already divvied up in a small snack size plastic bag), a package of Orange Flavored Crush powder (or any of the Crystal Light flavors) and a shake cup and mixed it with Water and some ice for a Protein Shake.

Ooh also there are these Snacks called Mr cheese O's that I get at Target (or Amazon) that are great Protein snack. If you don't have that, you can get Moon Cheese (carried by the Bariatric Pal Store) but they are a little high in fat to eat too many.

Good luck! Have fun!

I will probably do the burger minus the bun in a few parks. Last time I low carb'd it at Disney I would get a burger that had a toppings bar. I would then just eat the patty with some salad fixins. We are only going to be at Disney one day, so that will work then. I bought a big bag of Jerky that I am going to break up and weigh before we leave. I suspect I will be able to find some fruit if I get in a bind. I need to find me some of those Mr. cheese O's. Those look yummy...

how about a tuna pack?.......they don't have to be refrigerated until open.....you can get chicken packaged that way as well.

how about a tuna pack?.......they don't have to be refrigerated until open.....you can get chicken packaged that way as well.

Do they have chicken in packages like the tuna? That might be a good idea.

Not sure I can eat tuna warm. I struggle with it cold... :)

Yes I've seen the chicken packaged just like tuna......

I am only 3 weeks post surgery. I have a trip planned to WDW in a few weeks time. So I've already been giving this question some thought. We are annual pass holders and go to WDW regularly throughout the year. My food habits will be similar to what they were before WLS because I've never been in love with eating the park food.

The Disney parks allow you to bring your own food. I pack our meals in a cooler-purse.

You can bring your own zip-locks for ice. Then you can get free ice Water or, in this case, a cup of ice at all the walk-up counters in the Disney parks, no purchase necessary. Just ask for a cup of ice and transfer to your ziplock for your cooler bag.

I bring picnic style food: deli meat, cheese cubes, cut up fruit, yogurt tubes, hummus and veggies, etc. Then I add crackers and/or Cookies for my non-diet guys, or they get a frozen treat after lunch. We drink the free ice Water from the parks and skip carrying drinks.

We eat our picnics on Tom Sawyer's Island in Magic Kingdom. At the other parks, we look for a shady, quiet bench. (I can get more specific, if you are interested). I find sitting outside eating our meal together more relaxing then fighting the crowds at the dining venues. I usually need a break from all the people as much as a meal. My son needs a chance to relax and I need a chance to loosen my grip. So for us the outdoor picnic suits our needs best.

As an alternative to bringing your own, there is a Starbucks in each of the Disney parks. If you already like one of their healthy Snacks or have a drink you like, you can get the same thing at the park Starbucks. I eat the Protein snack: a hard boiled egg, Peanut Butter (sweetened w/honey FYI), cheese, fruit and a little muesli biscuit.

Currently, Epcot has the garden festival going on. This year they have added food kiosks similar to those at the food and wine festival. These food kiosks serve small portions for a relatively small price. (Last year at the wine festival from the Scotland kiosk I ate a seared scallop on top of few bites of sautéed spinach. The Austrailia kiosk had a delicious little shrimp kebab.) I don't know what they're having this year. But there is always a kiosk or two devoted heathy fresh food.

You can look up all the menus for every dining option Disney has online or with their app, in advance. So you can know what your choices are. I plan to look up all the Epcot garden show food kiosks before we go and decide what we want ahead of time. I have a five year old boy and like to plan ahead to minimize waiting around time.

Finally, if you get something to eat at the WDW parks that you don't like, for any reason, return it for something else. No questions asked. They will be so nice and quick about it.

I hope this helps. And I hope you enjoy your vacation. Happy trails.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm 2 months & 3 weeks post-sleeve & at Disney now, and had the same concerns as you! I haven't had a problem at all after 6 days of being here. We've been to all 4 parks. I so agree w/ the post about the Garden Kiosk at Epcot during the International Flower Show--the small plates are amazing & truly the best food I've had here & we've been to some pretty fab spots.

The Jerky small bites has been my saving grace b/c I'll suddenly get hungry sometimes & feel STARVING. I also keep a Luna Protein Bar in my bag. I've found that there are a good number of Mexican food spots w/ ground beef & nachos or chicken fajitas on the grounds--I just get the ground beef alone or chicken & it's flavorful. I can only eat 1/4 cup or so--sometimes only 4-5 bites. There seem to be so many healthy options available compared to yrs ago. Syntrax Nectar sample size Protein Powder packs are great for purse to mix w/ low-fat milk & milk is easy to find in single serving size in the parks. Honestly, my toughest thing is finding liquids I like & that work for me. Plain Water hits my stomach weird if I drink more than a couple of ounces. Crystal light packs are great for purse. So many drinks here are carbonated or loaded w/ sugar. A lot of spots have flavored iced tea drinks--like peach iced tea, but it's made w/ 4-6 pumps of peach Syrup. I just order plain iced tea & add Splenda. Some spots have coconut water & there are Starbucks at every park that have caffeine free Passion Tango shaken iced that is very refreshing. I will say that I've tried a bite or two of some Desserts AFTER my Protein on a couple of days (sweets were my biggest battle pre-sleeve) & I am now able to stop after a bite or two, b/c I'm already full of protein! It's weird that I don't have major sweet cravings anymore. What a life-changer. I've been extremely diligent about making healthy protein choices through the airport & parks. We walk these parks from morning til night & I can feel my pants getting looser & looser--you've got built in exercise & entertainment coming your way! YOU can do it! Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Great topic! I'm planning a Disney World/Universal trip for next spring break. At that point I hope to be about 9 months after surgery. I've been looking up the menus online and getting a feel for the best places to get something to eat that matches my limitations and my family's interests. Hope you have a good time!

I will probably do the burger minus the bun in a few parks. Last time I low carb'd it at Disney I would get a burger that had a toppings bar. I would then just eat the patty with some salad fixins. We are only going to be at Disney one day, so that will work then. I bought a big bag of Jerky that I am going to break up and weigh before we leave. I suspect I will be able to find some fruit if I get in a bind. I need to find me some of those Mr. cheese O's. Those look yummy...

RonJon - where did you find the Mr. cheese O's in your target? I walked around and found $70 of other stuff I probably didn't need but I couldn't find those -- help?

Thanks so much in advance!

Amazon carries mr cheese o's as does costco

RonJon - where did you find the Mr. cheese O's in your target? I walked around and found $70 of other stuff I probably didn't need but I couldn't find those -- help?

Thanks so much in advance!

I never found them in Target. Actually, I have never even tried them. I was saying that I needed to...

It goes great on top of a side salad!

Try some Protein Bars and try to find a turkey leg or something in the park! But you could also stop at the Vitamin shop and pick up any of the yummy Snacks packed with Protein. Lenny and Larry's Cookies with 16 g of protein, protein chips, Protein Gummies, veggies, Apple and peanut butter... Or bring an apple sauce and add a scoop of GENEPRO protein to it.