Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insulin Resistance and Gastric Sleeve

I have insulin resistance and have been on Metformin off and on for 7years. It's so hard on my stomach and have to always know where the nearest bathroom is located. . I was hoping to hear success stories of those of you who were diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and have seen results after the gastric sleeve. Does this sound like anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Here's the thing: Postop, in order to get your Protein in, by default your carb intake is practically zero, especially in the first few weeks to months. Your simple carb intake is so low that your blood sugar level stays much more even. I can't speak to metformin, but if you read posts here you will notice a real emphasis on protein and veg, which go a long, long way in handling insulin resistance, to say nothing of weight loss, which has a synergistic effect.

I've been told that if you have been diagnosed within 5 years of having the surgery then your chances are good that it will be gone. Same with high cholesterol and blood pressure. I've even heard of people who don't need to lose weight getting the surgery just for those benefits.

If you are on meds for high blood pressure they will need to be adjusted or even discontinued as blood pressure drops drastically after surgery. So if you are on these meds check with your doctor. I would check for the Meformin as well.

As an added oddity, your body temp will also drop. I think my lowest in the weeks after surgery was an average 96.0 degrees (98.6 is normal).

I was on metformin for over a year - in fact it was a diagnosis of diabetes that drove me to seek surgery. My blood sugars averaged between 130-140 on 4 metformin a day. It was AWFUL on my tummy. serious problems the whole time I was on it.

I stopped Meformin two days before surgery. after surgery my sugar went down to 120-135 on NO MEDICATION. Now 5 weeks out my fasting sugar is usually 110-115. on no medication.

All of my symptoms from the metformin are GONE and I have to manage things for having the opposite bathroom trouble (which is very common post surgery)

I am happy happy happy. the weight loss is a side effect for me, pleasant - but the being off Metformin was my #1 main goal. my complexion is brighter with normal blood sugar too. I am VERY HAPPY. :-)

I was sleeved on 3/7 and left the hospital on no metformin or blood pressure medication. My blood sugars have been in the 80's. Its the best thing i have ever done. I dont have an ache or pain. My BMI was only 35 but I had 4 co mobidities. I presently am down 27 pounds. I hope this answered your question. The Metformin was killing me!!!

Thanks everyone for sharing! I have been very blessed with no other medical issues or meds. However, I just had my lab work done and my cholesterol and triglycerides were too high that my PCP is considering putting me on Cholesterol lowering meds. I told her I'm in the process for the WLS and hoping I can hold off. I've lost 30 lbs twice while on Metformin once 7 years ago, got pregnant, stopped Metformin and gained all weight back and then I lost 30lbs on my own 2 1/2 yrs ago watching my carbs (less than 20 grams a day) and no sugar. And staying on my metformin very strictly. But, I started having other issues, like repeated bladder infections, constant diarrhea, (TMI) but results of 4 extended release Metformins a day! I found myself stopping the Metformin when I knew I was going to be on a trip or away from a bathroom during the day and slowly started adding the carbs back into my diet. Now, I'm at the exact weight I was when I gave birth, accept this time no baby excuse.

Looking forward to starting a new journey with my sleeve and not looking back!

WOW @@pppgobbi that is incredible results! Great job! I had trouble with hypoglycemia and my blood sugars being too low. I am trying to get started back on my Metformin before surgery so I can lose some weight, but it is so hard!

Yes, I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance very early on from PCOS then I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was only 23. I lost 20 lbs and reversed the diabetes but continued with IR. I had the dark ring around my neck and everything I was on Metformin for a while and it tore me up. Finally got switched to the ER version and was able to tolerate it.

I stopped all medication the day I had to fast pre-op. I've hit my goal weight a year and 3 months post op and my fasting sugar averages 70-90. I've had some issues with low sugar and low blood pressure but I've figured out I need to eat every 4-5 hours to stay level. I turned 30 recently and I'm the smallest I've ever been in my adult life.

I have insulin resistance and have been on Metformin off and on for 7years. It's so hard on my stomach and have to always know where the nearest bathroom is located. . I was hoping to hear success stories of those of you who were diagnosed with Insulin Resistance and have seen results after the gastric sleeve. Does this sound like anyone?

I can relate to this so much! I am hoping surgery will help with this. My doctor is confident that it will.

I was a type 2 diabetic from Jan of 2006 all the way up until this Jan when my A1C showed that glucose levels were well within normal range. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was on metformin for about 2 years before that was no longer affective and I had to switch to Lantus insulin pens.

I was diagnosed with pcos and insulin resistance march of 2015. This is when i started metformin and it made me so sick i could not go to work for three days because i was in the bathroom non stop. It was horrible. I stayed on it for 9 months because i was hoping to get pregnant but that never happened. I had my vgs to help regulate my pcos symptoms and insulin resistance. I stopped metformin two days before surgery and as instructed by my surgeon have not taken it. I feel so much better without it. I am taking the natural inositol crystals in Water to help my ovaries restart their normal function. Inositol helps with insulin resistance and pcos.

I was insulin resistant prior to surgery (had gestational diabetes with 3rd pregnancy). Off all meds after surgery which is great! What I found was prior to surgery, I would try to exercise and my blood sugar would drop so I never really exercised. Now, I can do HIIT training, hike, go a whole day without worrying if I will go hypoglycemic or not (cleaning my house would cause a low blood sugar attack).

I will say that I am a year out and I have found that if I cheat with carbs or sugar, it has caused me to have a low blood sugar attack (not often but has happened 3-6 times over the year). This gets me freaked out enough to watch my cards again.

Edited by akreese02