Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about the week after your surgery....

Little pain, besides the gas pain in my shoulder and my hip. That was just an ache, it was annoying because nothing helps with it, you just have to deal with it.

No nausea once I was out the hospital and off morphine. The morphine was the worst thing about the whole thing really, cause more pain that it solved, which was none.

I felt good once I stopped taking the pain meds. I felt good on day 3. I drove, ran errands. I felt so good I kind of over did it.

I had a lot of energy but it didn't last long, I took naps every day. I work from home so I worked and napped as needed. I live alone so even though my friend came home with me from the hospital, they left early on the 2nd day, so I was alone and easily able to care for myself.

My recovery was a breeze. If I had it to do all over again, I would have never taken any of the narcotics offered to me. I have a high pain tolerance and they do nothing for me.

If you aren't on narcotics, you shouldn't need laxatives. You are on an all liquid diet, liquids in, liquids out.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I was sleeved on 3/8 @ 2pm and was on the morphine drip thing until that evening when I stopped pushing the button because I knew from my previous c-secs that it made me feel worse than any pain, the nurses told me that if I didn't get the morphine for a certain amount of time they could start me on the every 4 hr pain medicine, that was much better it just made me tired.... I walked at the hospital but didn't have any gas pains really and was able to tolerate my clears, just very slowly. They gave me a patch behind my ear for nausea and meds too, luckily I didn't puke. I felt better around day 5 and have not felt week or too tired.

(Both the surgeries I've had ended with a baby also, it's still a hospital so sleeping was difficult but without the new baby made it easier!)

OK, you said you wanted the good or bad, so my personal experience the first week was not so great. the pain was horrible. I didn't have gas pain mine was more at the incision. I could not meet the walking goal my surgeon set for me, so I had to spend two days in the hospital. I was never nauseous.

They also sent me home with blood thinners for two weeks! So I had to give myself shots every morning and night for two weeks and to be honest that may have been the WORST part of my experience. Thankfully, my husband took the first week off with me and he gave me the shots but nonetheless it was still very painful. Fortunately, not many people have to do that.

Here's the good news, by day four or five I no longer need the pain meds and things started getting better. I NEVER threw up or had any complications after that.

The thing to remember is no matter what you experience, it will get better. I remained positive because I knew it was a temporary setback. I would do the surgery over again in a heartbeat

Wishing you an easy breezy experience.

Edited by Kathy812

Following the surgery the first 24 hours I was in the hospital and honestly only felt bad the first six or eight. The next day I was released and felt much better. The following day we drove home six hours I drove all the way with no problems and felt fine. I really had no complications either- no nausea, no gas and was drinking broth and Isopure Protein drinks right away for the first couple weeks. The biggest problem I had was one thing to eat, to chew, to have something other than Protein shakes and broth but I became a big broth fan

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, if nausea is your main concern, I can put that to rest. They can give you an injection through your IV which works almost immediately.

I just had mine March 21, so I'm at the end of my first week now. I was anticipating much worse discomfort and/or pain. Having had a c-section, I thought it wouldn't be quite that bad, but still, I was nervous for sure.

Well, it wasn't anywhere near that!

I woke up with some nausea, but the shot took care of that right away. I had told my daughter to ask for it if I needed it and she remembered. Thank goodness. I breathed slow and deep and tried to just control it until it passed. A few minutes later, all better.

Same with the pain. I had mostly the type of pain called pleurisy. It felt like gas/air was trapped between the layers of my muscles in my chest and shoulders and neck. Getting up and moving helped with that, but I didn't push myself right away. I rested as soon as the pain meds kicked in and slept until I woke up. I'm sure they were probably taking blood pressure, etc...but it didn't bother me in the least. I got some good sleep in, about 6 hours.

Since I hadn't slept well for several nights running, this was welcome relief.

From then on, I just let them give me the meds as they wanted to. I never had to request anything. I felt a little sore and could feel the drain hose making me feel bloated, but other than that, really no big deal.

I went in on Monday, at noon and came home Thursday, early, on a plane, arriving home mid-afternoon.

I did not do any lifting, but felt good enough to catch up on mail and do the dishes.

Please don't let fear of the unknown stop you or make you nervous. Within a few days, you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. :)

My first week wasn't too bad. I took liquid lortab and sip sip sip. Walking made me feel much better. I did have some heart burn but it wasn't too bad. I bought a ice pack and used it a lot for the discomfort. It sucked sleeping in a recliner for the first week or so though... I think that was the worst part for me.

Breezy, thanks for asking this and thanks to all who replied. Im on 4th april and was getting the jitters big time. Am going through the 'do i really need it'stage and my pre-op diet has shown that i do. Losing weight but had a couple of extra sqlads and Soups but nothing 'bad'. On the final run up now, busy doing all the house work. Good luck breezy.

First week....

Friday -surgery day. Woke up with no pain or nausea. I was very excited because I'd never woken up from anesthesia not nauseous before. This anesthesiologist obviously knew his stuff!

Saturday - discharged at 9am. Walked 2 mikes, went shopping for Decaf tea bags and Isopure. The tea was awesome. The Isopure was the worst thing I ever tasted. Sipped on tea, pedialyte and chicken broth all day. Watched a movie and napped.

Sunday - went shopping and sightseeing in TJ. More sipping and napping. Still no pain. Just a little cramping from the drain and felt like I'd done a hundred sit-ups.

Monday - had drain removed, flouroscopy performed and flew back to the States (long day) stayed in a hotel that night because it was a blizzard outside and not safe to drive. Picked up some drinkable yogurt at Walmart and that was tasty!

Tuesday - drove home 5 hours and plowed the driveway when I got here....had a friend shovel the walk, doorways and a path to the barn. Wishing I was back in sunny Mexico!

Wednesday - Christmas Day. Went to grandmas for dinner and sat on the couch sipping Protein shakes most of the day. The first day I could actually relax since surgery.

Thursday - got my nails done, got a hair cut and worked from home in the afternoon.

Friday- back to work full time

Needless to say I had a very easy recovery....never needed any pain Meds and I was meeting Protein and Fluid goals by Day 5......Good luck to you!

Holy mackerial Kindle! Good for you.

I was sleeved on 2/16, and I had no complications after surgery. I was able to walk almost immediately after I got in my room, I am sure that the pretty nurse and nursing student helped a little. Lol I was a little sore, and I had a prescription for pain medication for home which I never took. I tolerated the clear protien, but couldn't wait to get onto regular liquids. And let me tell you, sugar free Jello was my best friend!

4 months post-op---never a single problem while in the hospital for 2 days.

My surgeon put a Scopolamine patch on me in recovery, so that headed off ANY nausea before it had a chance to even begin & I kept that on for 72 hours.

I was fortunate enough not to have need for a post-op drain.

I went home with Zofran to use if nausea was an issue, but never needed to take it.

No issue with Constipation. -- As a nurse, I already knew to be vigilant with my incentive spirometry & to walk-walk-walk once I was home.

I have never once regretted having VSG =)

One thing I will stress as being important post-op is: STICK to your diet schedule. Don't advance to the next phase of foods "on your own because you feel ready"....those phases are in place for a reason...to allow your staple line to heal without offending textures irritating it. (I cringe each time I read about people 'skipping ahead', then complaining about how awful they felt afterwards.

Do what your surgeon instructs you to do....do your best to consistently meet your Fluid and Protein goals...and CALL your surgeon and/or nutritionist if you have problems or questions....they know what is best for each of us.

Best of luck to you! You're getting ready to embark on a life-changing journey!

Suzyquzy how was it when your drain was removed? I have one too and is it gonna hurt when it's taken out. Sleeved on the 30th