Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever watch men shopping at Home Depot?

I just had the most curious experience. I went to Home Depot for those mega thick garbage bags. (3mm, they don't leak, ever, for all of eternity - I'm sure of it)

I was watching the differences in how people look shopping at Home Depot vs. Macys. Here is what I found:

At Macy's the women are walking in front of all the men of the family. She is in charge. She's a woman with a mission in life and she's completing her mission. The male species of the family is walking sullen, almost in tears behind the female. The female walks quickly and the men slowly follow to discover she is far ahead and she doesn't even notice they are not in sight anymore.

At Home Depot this all changes. The male species is walking in front of the female species. They know what they want and they are walking to it. They happy, perky, and have a sparkle in their eye that is without a doubt, the shopping gene showing itself. That's the gene they claim they don't have.

You see, they all say they hate shopping but have you ever seen a man in Home Depot? The ladders, the hammers, the plywood is good, and if you find a tool that plugs in, they are in tool heaven.

Then, watching men that had no females lagging behind them. These are men on a mission! They are going to fix something! They know what they want and they know where it is. They walk quickly, they realize they are in their own element at Home Depot.

I saw some of these men on a mission and I can't help but to wonder, they were going to "fix" something. Do the women here suppose there was really anything to fix? Or is it a new tool they want? The stuff that needs fixing usually needs fixing for months and months. The stuff that does NOT need fixing usually requires a new tool, something they don't already have.

As I was watching these men with a mission I realized their wives were probably at home waiting to see the new hole that would be in a wall, the cupboard door that used to close quite well... until the new dreaded tool follows the man home from Home Depot.

Do you know that if you are female you can approach ANY man in the store and ask them questions as though they are an employee? Not only will they help you with your question, they will gather all the parts and assorted things you'll need for the project. If you ask them a "shopping" question they are thrilled to answer. They know the names of all the silly things in that store. Two items can look exactly alike but one will have 1/8" longer thingy on it and it has a whole new name for it.

You can also tell who the married men are in Home Depot. You can approach ANY of them as a female and describe a tool and they know exactly what you are talking about. A wrench that opens and closes and goes up and down or the stop sign shaped screwdriver, the clerks have no clue what you are referring to. Ask a married man and he'll take you right to that thing. He knows full well what you are talking about yet the clerks stand there looking at you with a raised eyebrow.

I found the entire experience to be most interesting and entertaining. Of course, I still have no clue how to replace that stuff in the back of the toilet but I now have tools of my own. I don't know what to do with them, but by God I have 'em~

Too, Too funny and 100% CORRECT!

You know what else dawned on me today? If you take a man to Macy's and ask him where the darn floor is, he couldn't begin to tell you. He has no idea. Ask him where the front door is and he can take you on the 3 mile hike directly to the front door, shortcut included.

Ask him where the door is to Home Depot and his eyes glaze over and he's at a loss for words.

Someone should do a scientific study of this behavior.

:P I used to work with men before I retired. They love to shop, they just love to shop at hardware and DIY stores like Home Depot. :) The dudes I worked with used to scrutinize the weekly sales flyers from these stores. There was also a very popular sales catalogue on our shop floor; this was published by Princess Auto. :bounce: I have got to say that that company did have a lot of stuff that I myself lusted after. But then I have always wanted my own drill press and metal bending machine. :eyebrows:

LOL! I agree with all of your observations. I also noticed (and I just went to Home Depot yesterday!) that every time I go in there, the people that work there NEVER know what I'm talking about or have an answer for me. For example yesterday I went in looking for a product to kill drain flies. No luck. Other times I have gone looking for other basic items and can never find what I want. Even worse for this for me is Target. I swear I have gone into that store 25 times and I have never, ever, ever once come out with what I wanted. How can these stores be so big and yet have so little?

I also noticed several women in Home Depot (lagging behind the men as you observed) being dressed very provocatively, as in, hoochy mama dresses and heels. Home Depot is just a weird, surreal experience overall.

The Home Depot near me used to be open 24/7. Because I worked permanent off-shift this was a weird and wonderful experience which I could enjoy on a routine basis. :) Drifting through the Depot in the early hours of the morning was very, very cool. :bounce: Now they have trimmed back to straight man's hours. Too bad, so sad. :think

LOL! I agree with all of your observations. I also noticed (and I just went to Home Depot yesterday!) that every time I go in there, the people that work there NEVER know what I'm talking about or have an answer for me. For example yesterday I went in looking for a product to kill drain flies. No luck. Other times I have gone looking for other basic items and can never find what I want. Even worse for this for me is Target. I swear I have gone into that store 25 times and I have never, ever, ever once come out with what I wanted. How can these stores be so big and yet have so little?

I also noticed several women in Home Depot (lagging behind the men as you observed) being dressed very provocatively, as in, hoochy mama dresses and heels. Home Depot is just a weird, surreal experience overall.

See, your problem is that you are asking the sales staff. You should be looking for a male customer. Just tell them the project and they will go through the store and help you gather everything you need.

One time I needed a part for a fruit picker. I have this huge lemon tree and I can't reach the fruit on top. It's a special basket with a pole. There is a little metal jigger that keeps the two hooked together. I needed one of those. I was trying to explain this to the sales guy and he did that thing, that look. Finally I found a male customer with a wedding ring... I'm not kidding! I really did. I told him what I wanted, asked what that thing is called and explained the sales guy had no clue what I was talking about. He told me right away what it was called and told me where I'd find it. He was right.

Married male customers... that's who you go to. I'm telling you, you are doing it all wrong by asking the clerks.

The Home Depot near me used to be open 24/7. Because I worked permanent off-shift this was a weird and wonderful experience which I could enjoy on a routine basis. :confused: Drifting through the Depot in the early hours of the morning was very, very cool. :bounce: Now they have trimmed back to straight man's hours. Too bad, so sad. :think

I have to admit, I enjoyed my trip yesterday as I was watching people. I do believe I'll go back when I have more time to just watch people.

Bubble you are too funny! I can't wait until my rinky dink town gets their new Home Depot.

We all have been waiting patiently for them to start building. Apparently, they bought property that belongs to Indians. There is some stupid law from many years ago, that says they can't build this Home Depot on Indian land. Believe it or not, we are all waiting for the Oregon congress to change that law so we can have our Home Depot.

Then I will start going there to watch people, especially men. I like to watch men, since I don't have a bf. I also love to people watch.