Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone out there had these problems #1 had surgery Friday gastric bypass, got to go home yesterday, had my first bowel movement and it was very bloody, called after hours nurse said to watch it closely had three more last night same thing lots of blood dark stools bright red Water, called again she said could be nothing abnormal since I'm not experiencing any other symptoms. It's pretty scary though. #2 still in a lot of pain not very mobile, my discharge papers say I should be walking a mile everyday, huh that's not gonna happen. How long till I can get back to a reasonable life? Last thing water and food on liquid diet do I have to wait the 30 min in between? Thanks for reading and any advice.

How long till I can get back to a reasonable life?

It won't happen overnight. It was 6 months before I reach my Happy State, when all the problems big and small seemed to disappear.

As far as the bloody stool. This is not common. Here is an article about this condition. http://bariatrictimes.com/gastrointestinal-bleeding-after-roux-en-y-gastric-bypass/

Yes you must wait 30 min before and after meal to drink.

Any blood from the rectum is not "nothing". Bright red could be hemorrhoids. Are you straining to go? DARK stool could be bleed higher up in the ailmentary canal. Neither is ok and either should be explored further.

Re. waiting between food and water; yes, for now it's a good idea. You want to fill your pouch with food. There's not alot of room right now and if you fill it with Fluid, it would be hard to get the nutrition you need. Re. the pain; That will get better. Walking may actually help if it's a build up of gas. But the pain with the bleeding needs to be investigated. Give up a follow up.

I just spoke to another resident, told me to call next time and report how my bowel is, I haven't had another one since last nigh, they just don't seemed to concerned about it, it not hemorrhoids it was soft stools each time, I guess I'll have to wait and see, am I the only one that has had this happen too?

I hope this turns out to be nothing! Keep a SUPER close eye on yourself. Do you have someone with you, helping to take care of you? Or do you at least have someone that can come check on you?

As for feeling normal... on Thursday, I will be 7 months post-op, and I'm not quite there yet. I do, however, feel much, much better than I did just a month ago. So it's getting there. I envy those rare people who just bounce back and feel amazing within like two months of surgery. :P

Edited by Cervidae

So I had another bloody bowel movement this morning sent a picture to dr. Well they want me back to the hospital asap yeah this is not normal. Please pray for me I am very scared

Definitely sending you positive thoughts and prayers! Please try to update us when you can so we don't worry too much. I'm sure the doctor's will figure out what the problem is and get you fixed right up!!

Edited by pammieanne

Sorry to hear you have an ulcer. Glad to hear you are feeling better and the bleeding is controlled. Hopefully now you can get on the healing track and into your new life.

HUGS

pam

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! I'll be thinking of you!

I'm glad they got it all figured out and you're on the road to recovery!

I'm glad you figured out the stool situation. Before my surgery I read all these things about people being up and feeling fine after surgery and things. I didn't have the same experience. I felt like crap, sore, in pain, irritable, tired, all of it for about 6 weeks after my surgery. I wasn't up and walking until day 3 in the hospital. I didn't have any complications either. People heal at different rates, and I was one of the slow healers. Even though I regretted surgery for that time, I got through it and now I would not change one miserable moment and I feel SO much better! Hang in there, you'll wake up one day and not be sore- and you'll feel great.

Edited by cookarue