Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!!

I am almost 6 weeks out and I'm really missing my coffee habit...

I manage fine without it and my Premier Protein chocolate shake gives me energy for the day, but I just miss the taste and comfort of coffee.

I drink 1 shake every morning, which gets me 11 oz and 30g of Protein, which is great to start the day, but doesn't leave room for much else in my daily morning rush out the door. Usually the thing that slows me down most in the morning is making sure I finish my shake.

I've read that most people suggest not counting coffee towards your daily liquid requirements, as coffee is dehydrating.

I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing their coffee with the premier Protein shakes? The vanilla flavor?

I got a box of the strawberry flavor to drink on it's own and it was so cloyingly sweet it left me feeling sick every morning, and I ended up throwing them away.

I'm afraid the vanilla flavor will be the same way... but might be good mixed with coffee. I know that the only way to find out for sure is to try it but I'm on a budget and I can't afford to buy an 18 pack of shakes to find out I can't stand it, especially after throwing half a box away already.

I wanted to know if the vanilla Premier Protein Shakes taste good with coffee, or if they clump up when mixed with the hot coffee, or if anyone has found a way to drink coffee and still get their protein in.

Thanks!

Hi. I've used the vanilla as coffee Creamer, but not with the whole shake.

Another idea is to add instant Decaf to the shake. That's pretty tasty and you still get your whole shake in.

In time, you'll be able to do both. Don't worry!!

Hi. I've used the vanilla as coffee creamer, but not with the whole shake.

Another idea is to add instant Decaf to the shake. That's pretty tasty and you still get your whole shake in.

In time, you'll be able to do both. Don't worry!!

Does it taste good? Does it clump up? Did you have to let the coffee cool first?

Thanks so much for the reply and encouragement!

First of all, coffee/caffeine is not dehydrating, that is a myth.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

You have lots of options -- you can add a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee to your Protein Shake of choice for an iced Protein vanilla latte or iced protein mocha. You can use coffee-flavored protein powders such as Chike Iced Coffee or Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino (I recommend adding instant coffee to them as well as the coffee flavor might not be strong enough otherwise).

For hot coffee Protein Drinks, my understanding is that you need to slowly mix the Protein Powder with lukewarm coffee until it forms a slurry, then gradually stir it into hotter coffee. This is supposed to prevent clumping.

There are also specially-formulated cappuccino protein powders that are meant to be mixed with hot Water or milk without clumping -- I think the Bariatric Pal Store sells them. They use the same generic brand that you can find under different names at other online wls/protein/health supplies, so you might want to shop around for the best price. I usually found the best price at Nashua Nutrition:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/

At Nashua Nutrition it's sold under the brand name HealthSmart. When I used this protein powder, I also added instant coffee to bump up the coffee flavor.

Thank you for telling me all the options!

I'm looking for something I can use with my own coffee... I'm a tiny bit of a coffee snob and want to enjoy the Beans I love!

On a daily basis I enjoy the Beans I love.....brewed strong how I enjoy it.

I use Splenda and whatever creamer that catches my eye in the grocery store. I go with sugar free Creamers or half&half. I sometimes use Fairlife milk as creamer, too. They make some amazing milk !!!

I use BP Protein hot chocolate and mix in a small level teaspoon of coffee. I started doing that yesterday and had no problems with drinking that for my Breakfast. It gave me 12 grams of Protein and satisfied my coffee craving.

!!

Does it taste good? Does it clump up? Did you have to let the coffee cool first?

Thanks so much for the reply and encouragement!

It tasted pretty good. It didn't clump up at all. I didn't let it cool. I think because it's the premade, it is already dissolved?

I was a major coffee/caffeine drinker and now that I am coffee free I have been able to satisfy my cravings by taking the chocolate Premier Protein shake ( the entire bottle) and a cup of Decaf with a tablespoon of sugar free caramel and shaking it over ice, it is very tasty - another option is to take fair life 2% milk and heat it in a milk frothier, I use 8 oz and 8 oz of decaf along with a tablespoon of sugar free caramel- this is a hot tasty latte and it has 13 grams of Protein - hope this helps

My coffee is one of the major ways I reach my Protein goals. I could NEVER tolerate shakes. I just could not get them past my nose. I mix1/2 scoop of unflavored Protein Powder, 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder in a large mug of coffee every morning with fat free french vanilla creamer and Splenda. It is one of the best mocha beverages I have had. Even more than 2 years out, I still start my day with a cup every day. I'm already looking forward to my morning cup tomorrow just thinking about it.

I'm looking for something I can use with my own coffee... I'm a tiny bit of a coffee snob and want to enjoy the Beans I love!

The "Coffee Nazi" (that's what my daughters call me) does this:

I HAVE MY COFFEE EVERY MORNING!!!!!

I just figure it into my day's menu. That is one thing my Nut. and surgeon knew from the start. We as a team, planned around my daily coffee with half and half.

The alternative of me not having my coffee would not be pretty.

No. Not pretty at all...