Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My RNY was Feb 16. The first thing I noticed was how my sense of smell was greatly heightened. I hate it. I can smell ANYONE'S breath within a few yards of me, and it is horrible. It truly and literally churns my stomach and gives me the heaves.

My taste buds have changed as well, and Water tastes yucky. I have tried Propel plain with electrolytes, Polar, and am about to try Fiji. I do like Propel Grape for a flavor, but sometimes I want just plain old water. Crystal Light seems too heavy on taste now.

I am also having troubles with Protein. I get nauseous still while drinking. I still only have 1 ounce every 15 minutes. My surgeon suggested GENEPRO, which has 30 grams of protein in 1 tbsp. However, every time I've tried mixing it into a drink, I wound up vomiting later..

I'm supposed to be eating applesauce, and blended Soups, but I'm actually scared to try them, since every time I try adding a new item, I get very sick. I know I can't take new things as quickly as my surgeon's handbook says, as far as the food stages. I obviously have to go slower. This is just so nerve-wracking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I noticed the smell thing with me too, but for me it's when people are eating chocolate candy bars around me. They smell disgusting. Not sure how it smelled appetizing to me before.

Hopefully, you will find success with your Protein.

I am 34 months post op RNY and after surgery my taste buds definitely changed but I noticed no difference in my sense of smell. In time this goes away. On the other hand, many people report that after surgery, the smell of your breath changes toward the bad side. This is generally due to the fact that your body is undergoing ketosis.

Experiment with various Protein shakes until you can find one that you can tolerate. Don't be afraid to experiment with various foods. After surgery, you will undergo a variety of changes including the volume of your meals, the types of foods you are allowed to eat, changes to clothing, chemicals and hormones released into your body as your fat cells dissolve, sensitivity to various foods (for the first 2 months post op I was lactose intolerant), changes to how much you can swallow. Everything is somewhat Fluid so go with the flow. And many of these changes you will find are in the right direction, making the whole process worthwhile. It was 6 months until I reached the "happy state" when almost all the problems seemed to melt away.

Yeah taste and smells has indeed been heighten post surgery. But fluids I have no issues with at all. I'm also 15/16 months post surgery by the way. Weird how some of us have issues with certain things while others don't. Like my friends have issues with beef and pork, and I'm like totally fine with it now. Or for me I'm still having issues with body temps, yet a friend of mines who had her surgery a good 7 months before me has no issues with body temps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I just can't stand the vomiting! Last week Thursday, I was having a great day. Then, all of a sudden, I felt soo nauseous. Wound up running to the bathroom and stayed there for a while. My poor husband felt helpless. My stomach was angry all night. When I spoke to my surgeon the next day, he said I might not have done anything wrong. That worried me. What caused it, if I didn't do it?

I just can't stand the vomiting! Last week Thursday, I was having a great day. Then, all of a sudden, I felt soo nauseous. Wound up running to the bathroom and stayed there for a while. My poor husband felt helpless. My stomach was angry all night. When I spoke to my surgeon the next day, he said I might not have done anything wrong. That worried me. What caused it, if I didn't do it?

Your pouch could still be swollen from surgery. It takes a while for it to really heal up. Just take your time with eating and drinking. Also if the vomiting doesn't stop and you dind yourself throwing up everytime you eat or drink call your doctor. Too much vomiting will cause you to go into dehydration and malnutrition. And from someone that suffered from both, you want to avoid it at all cost.

Your pouch could still be swollen from surgery. It takes a while for it to really heal up. Just take your time with eating and drinking. Also if the vomiting doesn't stop and you dind yourself throwing up everytime you eat or drink call your doctor. Too much vomiting will cause you to go into dehydration and malnutrition. And from someone that suffered from both, you want to avoid it at all cost.

Yes, I think most of me is still swollen. My surgeon wanted to see me after that episode last week. When he was feeling around the outside of my belly, he asked if certain spots were sore, and they were. He said he was surprised they were still tender, so I know I'm not healing as quickly as others. I am taking it slow. He did want me to get iv fluids, as he could even smell that I was dehydrated. My lungs told him.

I had a lot of problems with smell and taste - and upset stomach after surgery. For me, two things affected these. The first was that I became lactose intolerant - the second that I could not tolerate whey Protein. Once I eliminated lactose my stomach felt a lot better. Getting off the whey Protein was harder. I tried all sorts of alternative protein source shakes and could not make myself drink them (the taste was awful - at least the whey shakes tasted good). Fortunately, I was able to wean myself off the whey based shakes and get my protein with 'real' food by time I got to the solid food stage. I have not had the smell and taste problems since. I do eat Protein Bars from time to time - but tend to have the same problems come back if I eat some of the better tasting ones that are whey protein only.

This is what it was for me; it could be something totally different for you. I hope that you discover ways to get your protein without getting sick and that this is just a phase that will pass quickly for you.