Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I finally at the age of 62 admitted that I was not going to get my weight under control by myself and after 8 months of insurance requirements and medical issues I managed to have my surgery on March 1st.

During my pre op dieting I was vigilant and lost 41 pounds on my own.

My surgery went perfectly and I had no nausea, no vomiting and in general what I hated the most was the darn IV in the back of my hand.

I was able to drink right away and have had no problems talking pills, my throat didn't hurt so I was happy.

My one issue I had was that there must have been a misunderstanding by the nurses and cafeteria because my first meal was red Jello, chicken broth and cranberry juice. I did well with this and over a period of time was able to finish the jello, juice and some broth. The next day my blood suger was up and climbed,and at some point they were going to give me some insulin. I asked how high the sugar level was and they said 158 . I told them I was not diabetic and never had been and I refused the insulin. That was the right move because the next morning my sugar was normal and as I was about to eat Breakfast the nurse and I were kidding about my luscious food and we noticed that it was clear diet but NOT sugarfree! Voila -that's what had happened to my blood sugar. Thankfully I didn't eat that second meal or take the insulin. Moral there is listen to your body and be your own advocate.

I went into the hospital at 278, left the hospital at 285 GO FIGURE.

Anyway I am home now for several days, still doing well. My main issue is forcing myself to drink when I don't feel hungry or thirsty. It doesn't hurt to drink but anything that resembles food Like Soup etc fills me up quickly (2 or 3 teaspoons) so that's a little frustrating. I am not really hungry but I do want salty crunchy which I can't have right now. I have already gone through a little mourning when I realized I will never again be able to eat a Whataburger! Not that I can't try but I can't see it ever being possible, but I think I have made peace with that for now.

This morning is 9 days out for me and I am already down to 271 which is 14 pounds since surgery.

I worry that I might lose weight too fast and that's not my goal. I prefer slow and steady.

I have my follow up appt on the 17th and I am look forward to that and getting input from the NUT.

I just wanted to post this for all the older sleevers on here to see how things have gone for me.

All in all I think my surgeon did a great job the hospital staff were super friendly and helpful.

This so far, is my journey, and it continues!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by MIMISAN

@@MIMISAN sounds to me like you are doing like most of us did post-op. Welcome to the losers bench! I am also a granny sleever of 10!

Sounds like you are doing great! Don't stress about losing too fast just yet. A rapid loss in the first week or two is common and then there is typically a stall around week 3, and then a more gradual loss after that. This 14 pounds in 9 days thing is only temporary. It won't continue on that trajectory, I promise!

Definitely drink and eat on a timer for now. You aren't going to be feeling thirst and hunger in any normal, reliable way right now. Try to get in an ounce of Water every 15 minutes.

How are you doing on walking? Are you getting up and moving around a little every hour or two?

I am a sleeved meemaw! The big 60 looms in June. I had surgery 12/30 and am down 55lbs. I have had a couple uncomfortable side effects - but I worked right thru them. I was afraid I was too old. I feel like I can tackle anything now and look forward to a great summer with my 5 grandsons!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cherri2082

Congratulations! Sounds like you are off to a great start. I too am a grandma of 7. I was similar to you in that I did not have any problem with the surgery and healed very fast. Each day gets better and better and before you know it you won't even thing about things.

I had almost 9 months of pre-op counseling and diet so this I am eating just like I have been now for the past year. I made my 100 pound loss and am slowly whittling away the last 50.

What a wonderful way for each of us to spend our time as healthy Grannies!

Great work there. I was62 when I had my surgery July 2015 I'm down 85 pounds and I am so glad I did this. Let us know how you get on

Glad to see there are other Grannies out there having or had the sleeve. I'm 64 and will be having the sleeve in June. I keep asking myself if I'm too old to be doing this. I wish I had started this process 10 yrs ago. I feel I've missed a good part of my life because of my weight. I now want to be thin and healthy so I can sit on the floor with my granddaughter. I know if I did sit down I'd never be able to get back up. Time to make changes and enjoy the grandkids!!!

To weightisover. Great name by the by! You are never too old to get fitter and healthier. I looked into the band 5 years ago and let neighsayers put me off. Last year when I reached 252 and got the news that I was to be a grandma I knew I could not carry on as I was. I'm so glad I had the sleeve and I think all of us grannies are too. I have no regrets at all. Let us know how you get on and don't be too nervous we are all waiting for you on the losers bench !9

Thanks chrisredjeep! I am so impatient. I want this done now!!! This next three months will drag until I have the surgery done.

Glad to see there are other Grannies out there having or had the sleeve. I'm 64 and will be having the sleeve in June. I keep asking myself if I'm too old to be doing this. I wish I had started this process 10 yrs ago. I feel I've missed a good part of my life because of my weight. I now want to be thin and healthy so I can sit on the floor with my granddaughter. I know if I did sit down I'd never be able to get back up. Time to make changes and enjoy the grandkids!!!

Well I finally at the age of 62 admitted that I was not going to get my weight under control by myself and after 8 months of insurance requirements and medical issues I managed to have my surgery on March 1st.

My surgery went perfectly and I had no nausea, no vomiting and in general what I hated the most was the darn IV in the back of my hand.

I was able to drink right away and have had no problems talking pills, my throat didn't hurt so I was happy.

My one issue I had was that there must have been a misunderstanding by the nurses and cafeteria because my first meal was red Jello, chicken broth and cranberry juice. I did well with this and over a period of time was able to finish the Jello, juice and some broth. The next day my blood suger was up and climbed,and at some point they were going to give me some insulin. I asked how high the sugar level was and they said 158 . I told them I was not diabetic and never had been and I refused the insulin. That was the right move because the next morning my sugar was normal and as I was about to eat Breakfast the nurse and I were kidding about my luscious food and we noticed that it was clear diet but NOT sugarfree! Voila -that's what had happened to my blood sugar. Thankfully I didn't eat that second meal or take the insulin. Moral there is listen to your body and be your own advocate.

Anyway I am home now for several days, still doing well. My main issue is forcing myself to drink when I don't feel hungry or thirsty. It doesn't hurt to drink but anything that resembles food Like Soup etc fills me up quickly (2 or 3 teaspoons) so that's a little frustrating. I am not really hungry but I do want salty crunchy which I can't have right now. I have already gone through a little mourning when I realized I will never again be able to eat a Whataburger! Not that I can't try but I can't see it ever being possible, but I think I have made peace with that for now.

This morning is 9 days out for me and I am already down to 271 which is 14 pounds since surgery.

I worry that I might lose weight too fast and that's not my goal. I prefer slow and steady.

I have my follow up appt on the 17th and I am look forward to that and getting input from the NUT.

I just wanted to post this for all the older sleevers on here to see how things have gone for me.

All in all I think my surgeon did a great job the hospital staff were super friendly and helpful.

I'm not a granny, but I'm 41 and you encouraged me. I'm pre op...they're trying to figure out which surgery would be best. I prefer the sleeve, but some GI issues need more testing. Thanks for the info. Congrats on your journey!

Dawnie_doo

I was 68 when I was sleeved. I've now lost 100 pounds -- all my excess weight -- and am maintaining easily. I'm 70 years old now.

It does not matter at all to me whether I should've had this surgery when I was 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 years old. Truth is, it wasn't available then. But in those years I also wasn't a good WLS candidate for lots of reasons. By that I mean that I didn't understand my own disease well enough to know that obesity is a disease coupled with misbehaviors -- but NOT a character flaw, as I had always assumed.

Finally admitting to myself that my body and I were flawed in ways I'd never copped to allowed me to consider solutions I'd never allowed myself to explore. Once I learned about VSG it was a slam dunk decision and has been the only successful solution for my obesity I've ever implemented.

The only thing that matters now is the present and the future. The past is long gone. It's full of some good things and some bad. But it's immutable.

Onward and upward. :)

My one issue I had was that there must have been a misunderstanding by the nurses and cafeteria because my first meal was red Jello, chicken broth and cranberry juice. I did well with this and over a period of time was able to finish the Jello, juice and some broth. The next day my blood suger was up and climbed,and at some point they were going to give me some insulin. I asked how high the sugar level was and they said 158 . I told them I was not diabetic and never had been and I refused the insulin. That was the right move because the next morning my sugar was normal and as I was about to eat Breakfast the nurse and I were kidding about my luscious food and we noticed that it was clear diet but NOT sugarfree! Voila -that's what had happened to my blood sugar. Thankfully I didn't eat that second meal or take the insulin. Moral there is listen to your body and be your own advocate.

I am 60.

Sent from my SM-G920I using the BariatricPal App

It is great to see a message from someone else in their 60's. I am due to have my surgery on May 10th. It makes me feel more confident to hear that it is going well for you. I wish I had done this years ago. From everything I have read, you will be glad that you took this step. I hope ll goes well for you. Judy

I'm a 57 year old grandma of 6!!! My surgery will be in May and I can't wait!

Our bodies are amazing- at any age. I still have 42 pounds to go but in just 15 pounds I won't be considered obese any more (just overweight LOL). I have a personal trainer and am exercising and getting stronger and I am actually dating again. Who would have thought...