Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Change Did You Make that You Never Thought You Could?

Some of the biggest barriers to getting weight loss surgery are the changes you’ll need to make. They can be enough to make you think twice, especially if you think you can’t make those changes and won’t be able to succeed with the surgery.

It could be something like giving up caffeinated coffee for a few months, or committing to a post-op diet that included a stage called “Mushies” – blech! You may even hate the thought of processed shakes, but realized you had to choke them down on the pre-op and post-op liquid diets if you wanted to have a chance of succeeding.

For me, one of the toughest changes was separating liquids from solid foods. Before surgery, I never ate without having some to drink with it! I didn’t know if I could do it. But, since I had to if I wanted to get the lap-band and lose weight, there was no choice. I did.

What change did you find very difficult to make, but eventually you were able to do?

It's hard to imagine but I am proud I made it through the pre op and post op. It was difficult all around, but worth it. I could never imagine myself being able to to any of it in the beginning,

I never thought that I would be able to "get back on track" after 4 years. It was like an overnight decision this past Jan.

My whole mindset woke up and----here I am, working with my sleeve , not against it.

and---

I have this site and the people who post here to thank for any weight loss success I have. Without their (your) support, I would still be in a dark place alone.

Instead, I look forward to each and every day becoming healthier, happier, and motivated to keep on keep'n on!

The deal breaker for me was whether or not I could give up my diet pop habit.

I felt such a sense of accomplishment and of hope after I successfully weaned myself off of carbonation and caffeine. That is when I really started to believe I could do this!

I agree with Alex, not drinking with my meals was a hard thing for me to get used to. Also learning to eat mindfully. In the beginning it was so hard to have to sit down and make my meals last for 30 minutes while just focusing on what I was eating. Before surgery I was a very fast eater and usually ate while watching tv or being on my phone. As hard as it was to get used to some of the new ways, I am proud of myself and I feel so much more In control for being able to do it!

It's a longer list than I care to admit.

Giving up carbs, in general, is huge for me.

Getting active in my gym.......another huge even.

I was an alcoholic. Never thought I could deal with the stress of work, my grief and depression and life in general without drinking every day. I still have those things in my life, but now I face them sober. Turns out the alcohol wasn't really making anything better anyways.

I've made many big changes, but the most unbelievable to me was fried foods. Even after LapBand I was eating fried foods all the time. A typical daily meal was Popeye's fried chicken strips. My weight loss had basically stopped after 10 months post op.

I finally gave up my deep fried everything 20 months post op. It has totally changed how I eat now and I am not craving lousy foods anymore. Slowly my weight has started to go down again.

No liquids with meals was something I did not think I could manage, but I've been great about it so far. Also, working physical activity into most days in the week is an amazing accomplishment for me! Now I don't feel complete if I haven't gotten some exercise in!

Giving up beer was probably the thing for me. A typical night for me would involve some takeout and a six pack of beer. I know I could change the diet, but was unsure on the beer. I stopped drinking the day I start my pre-op diet. I have had a couple beers since then, but they are rare they don't come home. I think having the surgery is a line in the sand moment for me. I keep saying to myself "How can you gut yourself open and have all the risks involved with surgery and not commit to this". May not be the best logic, but it works for me. I keep looking at beer as just dead calories between me an my goal. I am also stubborn, so once I decided to do this, there was no going back...

I had a pretty major Diet Coke habit. I even have a Diet coke iPhone cover, a Diet Coke shower curtain, and a Diet Coke can and bottle collection from all over the world. I have given up Diet Coke so many times only to start back up again. I had my last Diet Coke on July 31st, 2015. The thought of going through surgery recovery and caffeine withdrawal at the same time scared the crap out of me and I started weaning myself off Diet Coke the day I decided to get surgery. It took me nearly a month to wean myself off, but it was worth it. I dont' miss it.

I also have signed myself up for a super sprint Triathlon. I've always thought it would be fun, but until I had surgery it never seemed like a possibility. I haven't completed this one yet, but when I do, I am pretty sure I will cry happy tears and then sign up for a longer one in the future! B)

pam

Edited by mngreeneyes

The deal breaker for me was whether or not I could give up my diet pop habit.

I felt such a sense of accomplishment and of hope after I successfully weaned myself off of carbonation and caffeine. That is when I really started to believe I could do this!

I'm working on this right now... I made it all the way to lunch without any caffeine today. I've switched to caffeine free diet soda and hope to remove that soon too (I've cut way back on that too).

One year ago, even thinking about surgery wasn't possible. I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my doc saying "Have you considered weight loss surgery? You'd be a good candidate" If everything goes to plan, I'll be getting surgery in July.

Sugar. I was never a OMG I'm going to eat that entire chocolate cake type. Or even someone who had sweets daily.

I was however addicted to my coffee with sugar and cream. As a nurse I drank 5-6 cups a day...with sugar and cream.

That I thought would be the hardest to give up. Turns out, after 2 weeks of being completely sugar free and putting vanilla premier Protein in my coffee I was able to transition to Splenda. And I love it! Funny part is if I put in more than one packet of Splenda I think my coffee is too sweet!

My, how things change.....

I never ever thought I could be a sugar free person and enjoy it!

Thanks for all of your answers! It’s inspiring to learn about each of your struggles and triumphs to succeed at WLS since you wanted it badly enough. It’s also need to see what little things hold us back, and how conquering them can help push us forward.