Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintenance Phase

The approach to the Maintenance phase may be different for the different types of surgery.

VSGAnn mentioned something important. I am too am a religious MFP user, but it's important for me to look at my weekly average calories. I have a 1300-1400 goal, but am trying to keep it in the 1100-1200 range of late, as I am 5 pounds up at the moment. That means some days I may need to eat a little more than 1000 or 1200, or a little less, but if my weekly average stays where I need it, I am fine. If the 5 pounds sticks around, I will ramp up my weekend cardio to an hour a day, and make sure I am working out 7 days a week. Then I'll drop major calories if need be.

BTW--grapes are my new best friend. Who ever thought grapes could be filling? (I hadn't eaten them at all in 2014-2015.) A half cup keeps me filled up!

For me there is no such thing as a Maintenance Phase to this.

Since surgery, I have learned how to eat all over again, good foods, small portions, etc etc.

It is NOT a diet as was before surgery. I've been on numerous, countless diets and know all about the different phases including Maintence....THIS is something different.

Because of that, my weight slowly and consistently came off....untill my body decided it has reached what it considers normal.

Not my goal as if I can turn this on and off....I can't...it's surgery.

And because of a New Normal lifestyle, my body weight, etc, has adjusted to that new normal.....

And I will continue living this new way for the rest of my life.

I eat and exercise a certain way now, and my body adapted to that way and there it will stay...so No Maintenance....

I live and eat the same way people who have never been fat live and eat....

No you probably won't just stop losing weight if you change nothing. If you continue eating less than you are burning weight loss will continue. What I did ...

When I reached about 145 I decided to enter maintenance. This was about 10 pounds higher than my original goal but I was easily in a size 4 and my medical problems were no more. I didn't think I needed to be smaller. So I made some food swaps. Full fat cheese, real sugar (in moderation) nuts and Peanut Butter, more good fats like avocado and salmon. I continued to Protein supplement to at least 75g per day, continued my workout habit etc. I calculated my BMR on MFP and added calories to that # till I leveled off. I did lose down to about 137 but bounced back up to 143-147 where I've stayed for 2 years. If I hit 150, I cut back until I'm back in the zone. It's a balancing act for sure but one I'm managing.