Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy cow! Should I have been able to eat that much?

So I got a call from my Dr's nurse this morning on my way to the store and I informed her i was feeling a little weak and had been taken some dizzy spells, after going over what I've been eating and drinking
(mind you I haven't dropped any weight in 3 days after being on a 2lb a day loosing streak) she tells me

I need more calories and suggested maybe a little mash taters.

so Im at the store and I swing my the deli and grab the smallest container of mash taters and gravy they have (1 cup) and bright it home, seasoned it and figured Id eat out of it a few times that a few bites would fill me.

well before I knew it I was scraping the residue out of the bottom of the cup to finish it!

How on earth is this possible? I mean I'm ONLY 10 days out! Is it likely that i some super huge sleeve or is this normal? I was just starting to feel full when it was gone... Soo heart broken right now.

Edited by thomas1984

The experts will be able to explain the details, don't panic. I imagine it is due to the texture and they slide right through. I hope they help you feel better and give your body what it needs.

Yeah I think mash potatoes are what is called a slider food so they slide easily through your sleeve which is great for right after you had surgery and are struggling to get in enough calories to function but once you move on to solids you should leave those type foods behind....

Make sure you are eating slow take small breaks in between picking your spoon/fork up again..i did the same thing in beginning and still felt hungry but when i spoke with my NUT and doctor thats what they told me and now i cant even finish my food bc i take my time to eat it and i get the full feeling..also u have to remember u just had the surgery so your new stomach has to adjust. Its just like a newborn baby stomach now where u will slowly introduce new things in phases.

When I did mash potatoes on the soft food phase o would cook them and pre portion out my allotted amount. That way I wouldn't eat more than I needed.

They are a slider food. You could eat them non stop all day.

My suggestion is not to eat them, because if you like them it is a slippery slope, especially when other things are going to be hard to digest and eat, you might want to turn to them for the ease and comfort.

Always eat your allocated portion, don't push it. Weigh and measure your food. At the deli you can make them weigh and measure the food, at 10 days you probably shouldn't be eating more than 2 oz at once.

This is about how much you can eat, it is about how much you should eat. Eat what you should eat, not what you can eat, now and basically forever.

Thanks for the kind words guys, so considering the consistency of mash taters and gravy, If It would have been cottage cheese or chili I should feel ful on roughly half a cup right?

Edited by thomas1984

im a week out. be careful. my doc has us on 2 weeks just Protein Shakes (only 12 oz a day) and clear fluids. the sleeve is barely healed and needs to be babied. good luck with your recovery!

I stayed on Protein shakes for 4 weeks and was glad to avoid the "mashed potatoes" phase.

I know that slider foods would be a temptation issue. So glad I avoided them.

Now....I'm at 4.5 months and my surgeon has me on 3-4 meals a day.....each consisting of 1/2 cup of food.

"Food" for me is defined as chicken breast, tuna, salmon, steak, sandwich meat & cheese, nuts and other high Protein foods.