Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat before and after a work out?

On regular days and strength training days?

I don''t vary between types of workout. My aim is Protein before and after any workout. Typically I make a Protein Shake in the nutrabullet and have that at least 30 minutes pre-work. Post workout is usually nuts like almonds or pistachios. If I am feeling really hungry, maybe a Protein Bar.< /p>

Do you find it sustains you?

I going swimming about noon, so I have a Protein bar after and call it lunch. Good? I don't know, but as my 5yr old grandson says, "That's how I roll".

I workout between 5-6am in the morning, on an empty stomach...(other than water)

This way I burn off excess stored fat as my energy source, rather than what I just ate....

After, I have a high Protein recovery shake.

Now that I have lost all excess stored fat...I think of it as burning off any excess I may have picked up the day before.

I heard a few ppl dont eat before, but how are you able to sustain after a full 8 jours or plus sleep.

Blood sugars tend to get liw for me when I exercise without eating first.

theres no reason to eat extra on a workout day when your trying to lose. that the whole point of weight loss. It sort of sounds like your looking for an excuse to eat just because you work out. DO NOT fall into that trap. you have enough stored energy in fat cells than you need. so until you hit goal and beyond, you dont have to worry about eating more.

no i dont mean eating extra. I definitly dont want to eat more.

What Im asking is what if you work out in the morning, and you havent eatened all night,

Then when i go ahead and exercise, blood sugars tend to go low. Thats why i feel there is a need to have my first meal before working out.

Edited by skp

I do fasted workouts in the morning but on days I workout later in the day, I just eat my regular meals and Snacks making sure I finish my meal at least an hour before working out. If I am hungry with less than an hour before exercise, I just have light snack like a Protein Shake.

Do you find it sustains you?

Yes it does. My typical workout day is wake 7:30, drink 8 ounce of Water. 8/8:15 ish Protein Shake. I prefer to make my own in the nutra bullet w/ unflavored Protein Powder ¼cup plain, greek yogurt and bit of fruit or sometimes a little bit of raw honey. I do water aerobics from 9 -10. I count my Protein shake as breakfast. I cannot workout on an empty stomach. My biggest meal of the day is usually lunch. dinner is often a salad or Soup. If I don't eat before a workout, not only don't have enough energy, I get ill. Post workout I'd have an ounce of nuts. It's my recovery food/snack. I then have lunch.

2 days a week I also do a low impact aerobic class at 11. On those days I typically drink water in between workouts and then have a protein bar after that.

What I have found is I don't need large quantities of food, but I do need nutritionally packed food.

I workout at about 5 p.m. after work. I usually have a Protein shake between 3:30 and 4 so that I am not starving when its time to go to the gym. That's too easy an excuse for me to skip the gym and go home instead. After the gym I go home and make supper. On nights when I have weight lifting class, supper can be as late as 8ish. This week I had support group after working out and didn't have time to eat a meal before group so I brought some beef sticks and ate them while I got ready at the gym. Otherwise, I don't eat anything but my regularly scheduled supper after working out.

pam

My workouts are usually between 11pm and 1am. If I eat before it's usually around 9pm at the latest but never any later than that as eating before a workout bogs me down. But, on my strength training days I eat a Protein bar or shake after my workouts.

I workout after work around 4:30, so I don't eat before unless I'm absolutely starving. By the time I get home after I eat dinner. That's mainly due to my schedule.

I always workout on an empty stomach, or I will get nauseous, I have always had this issue, even before surgery. I drink a Protein shake right afterwards, because I don't feel like eating right away after working out.

I really like a fasting workout in the morning. I feel like it gets you going and you are burning nothing but fat. Then you can feed your muscles with Protein afterward.