Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feeling discouraged because you just cant eat better? I am about a month away from my surgery, and I keep doing the things I KNOW I shouldn't. I got to a support group a couple of times a month but it seems everyone just says how good they are doing. I am putting forth an effort, but am I supposed to change all the ways I am eating? I am not on the pre-op diet yet. I know I will do it when I HAVE to. I am rambling, maybe its just nerves since I finally have a surgery date! We had to do a six month pathway to get our dates. (April 11, 2016). Please no rudeness! Thanks yall! :wacko: :blink: :blush:

It's so hard. We all have been there or going there. The idea is practice and of course improving your health for surgery. You know about shrinking your liver for safety and all the justifications.

We all fall of the wagon, I had thoughts of I will never have this again. That is so not true, I may never have that amount again or may not want it again.

Don't beat yourself up, just do better. Be able to identify what is triggering you, nerves are normal.

Head up, march forward!!! Counseling is never a bad idea even just a few visits to work through your nerves.

Girl I'm on that boat. But talking to veteran sleevers helps. Some start it earlier then others but we are all going to end up on the same road. I've been told that the weight comes off and just the feeling of being thinner and lighter on your feet is worth staying away from the bad stuff. I've been told it's just a tool but damn I need it cause in always hungry!!! My sleeve date is April 6 [emoji123]????[emoji123]????[emoji123]????[emoji123]????

Oh...

It's not about me...

I saw "Feeling Kinda..." and thought I'd best see what was happening...

But alas, it's not as I had hoped...

Anyway, I'll go with this...

Hang around this place...

There's all sorts of support and stuff...

And please notice that, as requested - No rudeness!! :D

I ate like complete crap the couple of weeks heading into my preop liquid diet. And I've been great on it. Has it been challenging? Absolutely, but there is something about knowing it's about a safer surgery that keeps me motivated. I'm sure you will be fine!

Anyone else feeling discouraged because you just cant eat better? I am about a month away from my surgery, and I keep doing the things I KNOW I shouldn't. I got to a support group a couple of times a month but it seems everyone just says how good they are doing. I am putting forth an effort, but am I supposed to change all the ways I am eating? I am not on the pre-op diet yet. I know I will do it when I HAVE to.

Have you considered working with a therapist? It sounds as though your thinking about the entire process is going to lead you astray and it would be a shame to have surgery and then tread Water at best.

No one HAS TO, SHOULD or MUST do anything. We're at our best when we WANT TO do whatever it is. Losing weight should be joyful, making the eating changes feel natural and desirable. If it's going to be a punishment, you'll miss out.

Get pen and paper and start a list of reasons that you WANT TO lose weight. Keep them narrow and numerous. Examples, made up because I know nothing about you:

1. To improve A1C level................................}

2. Not to get out of breath when I walk.........} instead of} 1. For better health

3. To lower blood pressure............................}

4., 5., 6., etc., etc...........................................}

1. To wear corduroy pants without swishing at the thighs...}

2. To wear a strapless dress to the prom.............................} instead of} 1. To wear whatever I want

3. To wear a my shirts tucked in...........................................}

4. 5. 6. etc..............................................................................}

Motivation is essential. Motivation is merely what you want for yourself. It isn't necessarily easy, but it is that simple.

Anyone else feeling discouraged because you just cant eat better? I am about a month away from my surgery, and I keep doing the things I KNOW I shouldn't. I got to a support group a couple of times a month but it seems everyone just says how good they are doing. I am putting forth an effort, but am I supposed to change all the ways I am eating? I am not on the pre-op diet yet. I know I will do it when I HAVE to.

Have you considered working with a therapist? It sounds as though your thinking about the entire process is going to lead you astray and it would be a shame to have surgery and then tread Water at best.

No one HAS TO, SHOULD or MUST do anything. We're at our best when we WANT TO do whatever it is. Losing weight should be joyful, making the eating changes feel natural and desirable. If it's going to be a punishment, you'll miss out. That said, you don't have to change everything in a day. Start with the things that are easiest so that you're encouraged by the quick success. Then work on the others. Keep your surgery date in mind, though.

Get pen and paper and start a list of reasons that you WANT TO lose weight. Keep them narrow and numerous. Examples, made up because I know nothing about you:

1. To improve A1C level................................}

2. Not to get out of breath when I walk.........} instead of} 1. For better health

3. To lower blood pressure............................}

4., 5., 6., etc., etc...........................................}

1. To wear corduroy pants without swishing at the thighs...}

2. To wear a strapless dress to the prom.............................} instead of} 1. To wear whatever I want

3. To wear my shirts tucked in...........................................}

4. 5. 6. etc..............................................................................}

Motivation is essential. Motivation is merely what you want for yourself. It isn't necessarily easy, but it is that simple.

Instead of thinking about all the things you will have to change, try focusing on one thing at a time. For instance, focus on increasing your Water consumption this week, eating slowly next week, etc.

Over time enforce surgery I:

Increased my Water to at least 64 oz of water;

Weaned myself off of carbonation;

Weaned myself off of caffeine;

Tracked my food;

Practiced mindful eating;

Etc.

As others have mentioned you may also want to work with a therapist and/or a 12-step recovery group like OA. Marshall all the help you can get.

I also recommend reading a lot. Eat it Up! by Connie Stapelton is a good book to start with.

You can do this!

Instead of thinking about all the things you will have to change, try focusing on one thing at a time. For instance, focus on increasing your Water consumption this week, eating slowly next week, etc.

Tracked my food;

Etc.

As others have mentioned you may also want to work with a therapist and/or a 12-step recovery group like OA. Marshall all the help you can get.

I also recommend reading a lot. Eat it Up! by Connie Stapelton is a good book to start with.

You can do this!

Tracked my food;

Etc.

You can do this!

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Yes! Headed to fridge after hubby gave me grief for gaining a pound. Only ate some fruit but bad habits are hard to break. 4 pounds lost in last 8 days. 4 more before I can schedule Psych appt. Then 5 more to schedule surgery. Frustrating.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I got to a support group a couple of times a month but it seems everyone just says how good they are doing.

Someone hit "like" on my last post, so I got a chance to see the above sentence and have it sink in.

Going to a meeting where people are doing well is better than a meeting where everyone is moping, lost or feeling sorry for themselves. Just as the others at the session speak up about what's on their minds, it's up to you to speak up about your difficulties. People aren't mindreaders. Jump in to get a discussion going if you want help in figuring things out for yourself.

It's your meeting, too.

You aren't alone. I find that I can make good choices through the daytime, but when evening comes it's like a switch flips and all I want is microwave popcorn, and just about anything made with chocolate. I'm still pre op, but going to see the surgeon this Tuesday coming. I have made some good changes, but as for the rest of it, I know it's just nerves and stress getting to me. I just need to find another way to channel it. Requirements here are that you have to complete a two week trial of just full fluids before your surgeon appointment, and I did that just fine, so I know I'll be able to do my 8 day pre op diet alright. It's just the "in between" time along with nerves that is killing me. Hang in there, we can both do it. I like other peoples suggestions of choosing just one thing to work on at a time. This week I am choosing to ramp up my workouts. Next week, I'll choose something else. Good luck to you!

I totally understand! I struggle and can't wait to have this tool (sleeve) to help me! I know it is not going to be the fix all, but a tool to help. Don't get discouraged!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk