Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

29 years old and 2 weeks post op gastric bypass

It's been 2 weeks since my gastric bypass surgery and I'm feel down. I'm very lightheaded and tired all the time. Please someone, help me change my mind about regretting the whole thing. I need encouragement.

Chiquita Henry

Hello Chiquita, I'm two months post op and I feel great! I've lost 42 lbs. The first month was really difficult for me I felt the same way you do. I felt weak, tired, lightheaded, I wasn't taking enough Protein because I can't pass the Protein Drinks ugh they are so nasty to me now. Before surgery I could drink them all day but now they make me sick. Just keep going don't get discouraged it gets better. I used to read that all the time in forums but I didn't believe it I felt I was going to feel like that forever but it does get better. Good luck!

Being lightheaded if fairly normal. Side effects from the anesthesia, also, if you can monitor your cloud pressure, it could be doing low especially if your on bp meds. You'll feel better, for me it was week 3.

Thank u guys so much for the encouragement! I will try to sick it out! I know it will all be worth it in the end!

Chiquita Henry

Hi Chiquita,

I am just passed my 2 week post op. I was feeling down just like you. I think it's a combination of things- we are very much off of our routine and I think it's a scary time because we are tired, uncomfortable, possibly hungry. It does get better! I am 30 pounds lost and feeling well- although still tired. I went back to work last week( I have a desk job) and found it picked up my spirits to be around people again and sort of back to routine! Stay strong!

Hi Chiquita! Stay encouraged and know that you are not on this journey alone. I went through the same thing, I was ready to get out and get back to being active but my body and the fatigue wouldn't allow me to. I felt "drained" most of the time and still had a lot of gas pain up to 3 weeks post op. Things started picking up around week 3 for me. I wasn't allowed return to work for 6 weeks due to the type of work I do. I am down 40 pounds in 8 weeks! The results are worth it. Hang in there! ????

The first thing to think when feeling tired all the time is Protein. Are you getting in ALL your Protein? Next thing is are you getting in all your Iron and supplements? These are big things that can cause fatigue and important to stay on top of.

I'm 10 months out and doing really well.

I remember the tired! I'd get up in the morning and take a shower. That completely exhausted me for the rest of the day. I would walk to the dining room table and feel like I had hiked all day. Bone tired.

But at about 4-5 weeks it changed. I felt better and was able to resume my normal levels of activity and beyond.

Stay patient and enjoy the naps. It won't last long.

Hi Chiquita! Believe me, I know exactly how you feel! I am now almost five months post op and until about my sixth week I had huge regrets! I was week all the time. Exhausted. Depressed. And on top of that I only lost 8 lbs in that whole six weeks. It was insane. I literally wished I hadn't had the surgery. After the sixth week I started to feel good. Really good. Now at almost five months out I'm down 77 lbs and I feel like I am a new person. Hang in there. I promise it gets better.

It will get better. I am 2 weeks out also. My doctor told me I was feeling weak because my blood levels were low and I was dehydrated. I also stopped taking my bp meds because my bp has has gone done a lot. Please keep your head up it does get better. I am back to work already. Believe me some days I am tired but I just rest as soon as I get home. Good luck