Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Weeks Out

Presently, I am ten weeks post op. During this whole process I have lost sixty pounds. This seems like a lot and yet not at the same time. I did not have any major complication in the hospital or since. I did have one incision that took several weeks to close. I would love to have lost 100 lbs in the first six months, but if not I know any loss is a gain. I, like many others, have started to have Hair loss as a result of my surgery. I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, it could be worse and I have not lost any locs. However, I do not like how things look. I hope the hair returns quickly rather than slowly. But one does not have control over that. I have not experienced any regret over having surgery. I still wonder from time to time if I am going to make it. Having said that I have not given up. Anytime a person has a long term goal there will be concerns about if success will happen in the end. The things I have noticed that have improved are I have less pain in my right knee (I had surgery on my left knee twice as a child, so it is by default weaker), I use my asthma medication less, I do not feel like I am going to die when I walk up stairs, I feel I can move my body much faster than before, I save money on grocery shopping, and so on. People ask me about food temptations and to be honest they are not that bad. I can bake a cake for someone's birthday and not be tempted. I can be around people eating all kinds of unhealthy things and not be concerned. Most of my head hunger does not linger and I quickly disregard it. I think it was helpful that I took the time to learn about head hunger and emotional eating before surgery. I also gave up sweets and junk food before my liquid diet and I think the practice has been helpful. Besides eating now is no longer fun, so the lost of the fun factor has helped as well. I have 45 more pounds to go before I hit 200. I am interested to see how my body will be at that time. How will I look? How will I feel? Well, I have to get ready to meet up with a friend, but I wanted to share, if even a little, about how things are going for me.

Sixty lbs. in 6 weeks is amazing. So happy that you are feeling the joy of moving through your day in an ever-shrinking body.

Except for the hair loss (mine has been receding on its own) your story is much the same as mine. I'm 4 weeks out and down 57 lbs. and 42 post surgery. We are all different sizes and eat different foods so our losses should vary. I find it totally amazing that's it has happened at all. I gave away a huge box of clothing and 15 shirts back from the cleaners. I'm down 2 1/2 pant sizes. 2 inches on the neck. Yesterday I shopped outside of the Big and Tall department for the first time in many years. Almost found a fit. Next time!

You started out about where I am now. You are losing 5+ lbs per week. Keep that up and in a year you will be at zero lbs.

My car is suffering from this. I used to use grocery points for gas. Like you, I rarely shop at the supermarket. I get most of what I need at costco.

Congratulations and keep up the great work. Your greatest reward is that you will start to love yourself and others will notice that and show you that they love you too.

Congratulations on your efforts so far. Keep up the great work.