Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I be a vegetarian?

Hello, I am a year post-op (gastric sleeve) and would like to start transitioning towards a plant-based diet and eventually become a vegetarian. I am wondering how any vegetarians out there get their full amount of Protein. I have started doing research about what vegetables are high in protein. My concern is that I won't be able to eat enough of them to get my daily requirements. I would love any advice, sample meal plans, etc., from anyone who has this all figured out :) Thanks!

There are plenty of us succeeding post-WLS as vegetarians! :) Please search for and join "WLS Vegetarians" on Facebook for more info...

I've seen vegetarians succeed. However, I do know of a vegan who failed miserably because he refused to eat dairy or eggs. Of course he made excuses and blamed it on other things but in reality it was because he couldn't get enough Protein in and was eating too many carbs. As long as you can drink 2 whey Protein shakes a day that will give you almost all or all of your Protein requirements for the day. Then you can just eat veggies the rest of the day.

If you are not going vegan, here are some vegetarian Protein sources:

Protein drinks/powders

Soy Products

Vegetarian Frozen Products (I really like Bocca and Amy's)

Mozzerella cheese

Cottage cheese

eggs

Yogurt (Greek yogurt is especially good)

Milk, soy milk, almond milk

Nuts

Beans

Lentils

Barley

Oats

Artichokes

Asparagus

Broccoli

Peas

Brussel Sprouts

Kale

Corn

Smaller amounts in bell peppers, carrots, green Beans, cauliflower, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes.

Most fruits have 1g per cup which isn't really anything but can help if you throw a couple in a smoothie.

Raisens have 5g per cup.

Best of luck to you!! :)

My Doc says yes! You can get plenty of Protein from buts/legumes/beans. I make a pot of refried Beans from bag to finish in my Pressure Power Pot XL in 1 hour! They are tasty, hearty and give me my protein! Talk to your Doctor about this, those interested in becoming vegan. Im choosing more and more of a plant based diet...