Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have to do the 14 day liquid diet? I have to start mine Thursday and can only have 900 calories a day. How do I stick to this?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Anyone have to do the 14 day liquid diet? I have to start mine Thursday and can only have 900 calories a day. How do I stick to this?

900 is pretty tight. I used the Slim-Fast High Protein Advanced Nutrition shakes. One each for Breakfast and lunch was only 360 calories. The Protein helps to stave off hunger. For dinner, have a pre-portioned green salad with chicken or fish, or a frozen dinner that is mainly lean meat and veggies, and around 400 calories. Then you can still have a piece of fruit and some baby carrots or celery for Snacks (the last 150 calories). Stay away from carbs and it will help to control cravings. If you get hungry, have a cup of tea, or just wait. In an hour or so, that will probably pass.

If it's a liquid diet - which I did too - no chicken or salad - food of any kind! The point is to shrink your liver to make getting to your stomach & intestines easier & safer! Try Greek yogurt (look at sugar & Protein content, will need to strain!), talk to nutrition stores about high Protein low sugar liquids they have, skim milk, broths, sugar free pudding & Jello, cream Soups w/ skim milk, high protein Meal Replacement drinks. Look at the Vitamin & diabetic sections of your grocery store & read those nutrition labels for protein & sugar numbers! it's vital it be liquid only to shrink your liver!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by txtemperance

One day at a time.

In addition to shakes, drink lots of Water, crystal light, Herb tea, etc.

Focus on what you CAN have instead of what you CAN'T, and keep reminding yourself that this isn't forever. You can do anything for two weeks.

It is definitely worth it!

What Inner Surfer Girl said. Between pre and postop I was on liquids for 34 days. 2 years and 100 pounds later it is a faraway memory and well worth it.

......Although actually it's not such a faraway memory. I've put myself on the liquid Protein diet a couple times in the last several months in order to drop a few excess pounds when they creep on (as pounds will do when you are in maintenance). Turns out it's just one more effective weapon in our never ending war against obesity. So in @@Inner Surfer Girl 's words, "Embrace the Liquid Preop Diet" ;)

This was/is a big concern for me, too.

But hearing it said as what we CAN have vs. what we CAN'T have is far more positive. I don't know specifically what my surgeon will limit me to for the liquid diet, but I hope I can have a few of the things mentioned to at least have it be more than just Water and Protein shakes. HA!

If it's a liquid diet - which I did too - no chicken or salad - food of any kind! The point is to shrink your liver to make getting to your stomach & intestines easier & safer! Try Greek yogurt (look at sugar & Protein content, will need to strain!), talk to nutrition stores about high Protein low sugar liquids they have, skim milk, broths, sugar free pudding & Jello, cream Soups w/ skim milk, high protein Meal Replacement drinks. Look at the Vitamin & diabetic sections of your grocery store & read those nutrition labels for protein & sugar numbers! it's vital it be liquid only to shrink your liver!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Its not the liquid bit that shrinks your liver. Its the high protein and low calories. Thats why you will see some surgeons allow free vegies and others a high protein lean carb meal etc

Well, day 4 of my liquid diet, this is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I know it will be worth the struggle. It is not too bad during the day, but tuff at night.

Can't wait until March 10th. ????????????

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Last fall I did a medically supervised weight loss program....protein shakes and a very lean dinner. It was so hard. I lasted 3 weeks. I have no idea what my surgeon will require. But hang in there. Thinking good thoughts for you!