Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing very slowly - can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Hi. I'm new here. I had my sleeve the beginning of December. My weight at the time of surgery was 262. Here I am 2-1/2 months out and I've only lost 36 pounds. I went to the support meeting and the nut said I should be losing faster and told me we'll talk at my next appointment -- the end of next month! It's close to impossible to get an appointment. I would like to correct whatever I'm doing wrong before that. I am looking around for a bariatric nut but that's not going well either.

In a typical day I will have a yogurt with GENEPRO, cottage cheese, a Syntrax Nectar drink, and a shake. I always go over 60g of Protein and a minimum of 50 ounces of Water. I have been exercising 30 minutes a day and I switch it around, even doing the steepest incline on the treadmill.

I do not eat meat. I haven't cheated on any kind of food I'm not supposed to have.

If anyone can tell what I'm doing wrong, I'd be so thankful.

My nut told me to not drink a lot of shakes. He called them artificial Protein and once you are starting to eat solid food, to just have one once in a while but not everyday. How are you getting your Protein in? Is it only shakes? Are you vegetarian, is that why you don't eat meat? Will you eat eggs? I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge and have one for Breakfast, sometimes with a piece of bacon, and I am also a big cottage cheese eater and usually have it for lunch, with pears or berries. For dinner, I usually have some sort of meat or fish and a small salad or a side veggie. For Snacks, I eat almonds, pieces of cheese, prunes (yes, prunes, I LOVE them and they are like candy to me) and I treat myself to a small piece of dark chocolate (one of the little squares) from Trader Joes once in a while. Do you keep a food diary? You maybe eating too many carbs or sugars in your shakes. You also may not be eating ENOUGH. Did your nut go over your diary with you, and give you some changes or suggestions? That is what their job is!

When you do your treadmill, are you getting up a sweat? You maybe need to pump it up a little.

I also think you are doing well, I don't think loosing 36 pounds in 2 or so months is bad at all! What did he expect you to loose? Dont be discourage, we all loose at different paces.

In the meantime, in your shoes I'd keep a detailed food diary of everything you eat and drink (and how much -- measure, don't estimate, if you need to do that) -- so that you and the NUT both know exactly what and how much you're eating.

And don't forget the bites between meals.

BTW, at 2.5 months post-op I'd lost 26 pounds. I don't think you're doing so bad. :)

Good luck!

You think 36 pounds in two months is a slow lost? I'm almost five months out and have only lost 50

Thank you everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I usually figure this is the way it is but for some reason, today I'm a little down about it. Thanks so much.

There are a few posts in this forum talking about slow losers and the benefits of slow losing (skin bounces back easier/less loose skin). Browsing through those may be helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using BariatricPal

1) your nut is an idiot by setting too high of expectations. I was down 17 pounds at 2 1/2 months and I never considered myself a slow loser.

2) drink more Water. You should shoot for 64 oz but more is better....I get closer to 100oz most days.

3)as for loriemoms nut saying shakes are artificial Protein, she, too, is an idiot. whey Protein is simply the liquid portion of milk that settles to the top during the cheese making process....just like what settles out of yogurt or cottage cheese. There's nothing artificial about it. In fact, it is the number one, fastest, best absorbed form of protein available. Better than meat, eggs, tofu, fish, etc.

GENEPRO, however IS artificial. It is a chemically modified molecule that started out as protein but no longer is. The company is a quack and cannot provide any amino acid profile for their product and has absolutely no science based studies supporting their claims or even show if our bodies can absorb it. Anyone with a basic understanding of biochemistry can look at their product and see it's not really protein.

Good luck, you are doing great!

You're losing at a pace of 3.5 pounds a week. That's not slow. It's completely on track unless you started with a much higher BMI. You're doing fine. I had lost less at that point.

The day I stopped comparing my losses to others was a turning point for me. It helped me stay more focused on what I could do, not what others were doing.

As long as I was losing (whether it was inches or pounds) it was a win in my book! I'm at almost 95 pounds lost now and maintaining. It took me about 15 months, but none of that matters anymore. You'll get there, too.

Control what you can, let go of what you can't.

You are not a slow loser. You start at 262, you are not going to lose 50 pounds in a month. I lost about the same as you and I started 100lbs heavier.

You probably could use more Protein, 60 is the minimu, 80 or 90 would be a better goal.

Your weight loss isn't slow though, that NUT is an idiot.

There is nothing wrong with Protein shakes as long as you get high quality. @@Kindle is totally right.

Do not be so hard on yourself

You have received excellent advice. Track, up Protein and Water and keep carbs in check.

I also think your rate of loss seems reasonable. We are all different but steady wins the race..just keep at it!

I have been maintaining 150# loss for 3 years, have a high quality low carb Protein Drink daily so I disagree that it slows weight loss. Most Protein Bars however are carb laden and high calorie... and for me, too easy to eat too often so that did slow me down until I got rid of them.

I swear to God! Sometimes I think NUTs are f**king idiots. After my experiences with a couple of NUTs and after reading so much off-kilter NUT advice for WLS patients on these boards, I have come to regard them as the dumb blonde Barbies and Kens of the medical field.

shakes are "artificial protein"?

36 pounds isn't enough weight loss in 2.5 months post-op?

What crap.

P.S. The above rant comes with my usual caveat that, yes, some of your NUTs are wonderful. Congratulations, but I don't think they're typical of most NUTs who advise WLS patients.

I think your weight loss is awesome! Your NUT sounds like a nut! Lol! Sorry. Anyway I'd say keep doing what you're doing. I think you are doing everything correctly.

I swear to God! Sometimes I think NUTs are f**king idiots. After my experiences with a couple of NUTs and after reading so much off-kilter NUT advice for WLS patients on these boards, I have come to regard them as the dumb blonde Barbies and Kens of the medical field.

shakes are "artificial protein"?

36 pounds isn't enough weight loss in 2.5 months post-op?

What crap.

P.S. The above rant comes with my usual caveat that, yes, some of your NUTs are wonderful. Congratulations, but I don't think they're typical of most NUTs who advise WLS patients.

When you read how low the qualifications to be one is, it all makes sense.

All good advice especially unreal expectations by NUTS..

Always remember that it requires the right intake to loose weight & starving has the opposite effect..

Good real fresh food including fish meat & eggs is better than any package powders & processed stuff.

Chewing is GOOD!

When you read how low the qualifications to be one is, it all makes sense.

This is why there needs to be a distinction made between "nutritionist" and "Registered Dietician". Anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist". A Registered Dietician often has a Master's Degree and and believe me, they know their stuff - though like anyone else, they have their particular points of view. Here is a link to the requirements to become a Registered Dietician: http://www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442485467