Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS Orientation: The Journey Begins!

Hello Everyone!

So I'm very new to this online support forum, and I already feel as though I know a bunch of you guys already! Reading your stories and comments has been amazing. My medical coverage is through Kaiser Permanente, and I attended their general information session and my PCP placed a bariatric referral which was approved (referral only, not necessarily the surgery). I am scheduled to attend an actual orientation this week on Thursday, and I feel like I'm already counting down the days. My partner will accompany me to provide support and ask a TON of questions (she's still in that "Are you sure you haven't tried everything possible for your weight?" part of her process).

I thought I'd post and get into the habit of staying connected to this support, and in doing so, I'd like to introduce myself to you all and share a brief bit about my journey. Here goes: I am 31-years-old, I've traveled around the world, I'm educated, have a loving partner of 11 years, I'm a Mental Health Therapist, I have 2 awesome dogs (my babies), I have wonderful friends, and I come from a large family. I also happen to have a BMI of 59. Isn't it interesting how many of us look good "on paper," yet there's always that ONE thing that seems to hold us back in every other way?

My hope is that this journey will represent that second shot at life.

It's great to be here with you all.

Welcome! Orientations are pretty thorough, there really weren't any question left to be asked at mine, but be prepared. I had a starting bmi over 53, and like you, all else in the my life was going great except the weight. I'm talking it one pound at a time, finally!

Welcome and congratulations on deciding to take such a big step. That was the hardest part of the whole process for me.

I was sleeved April 20, 2015 and couldn't be happier with my decision, my surgery, my recovery, and my progress so far.

Thank you guys so much! A part of me feels as though there is going to come a day when I'll be so elated that I made this leap! I can't stop envisioning it!

Okay, quick update: I went to the Bariatric orientation, then made a consultation appointment for the following day (Friday, 2/26). I met a great doctor and we hit it off pretty good (Kaiser Doctor Eric Hahn). He recommended the bypass versus the sleeve because of my high BMI. I also met with registered dietician who put me on a 1200-calorie/day diet. I have to lose 25 pounds prior to surgery. So now, I've planned my meals for the week and plan to steam-roll it ahead.

Thanks for the support always!

Welcome and good luck! It's a long road, but SO worth it in the end!

Hi. I am going thru Kaiser also. Sounds like I was in class one week before you. Dr. Dutta is my surgeon. He recommended the sleeve for me. Need to lose 3 more pounds to get on list for Psych eval. Then 5 more pounds to get on list to schedule surgery. Good luck!!

Hey there, yes, it does. Were you always set on sleeve? I was when I went in for consultation, but Dr. Hahn recommended RNY.

Well I would have listened to Dr. But yes after researching, I had wanted sleeve. But you will lose faster with the RNY. I felt the sleeve was a better fit. So did Dr. He is going to do a hernia repair too. I have a sliding hiatal hernia. Why did Dr. Hahn recommend the RNY over the sleeve?

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Hey Laurie, good question! I went in thinking that the sleeve would be the best fit. After Dr. Hahn's initial consultation with me including: asking all the health questions, doing a brief look-over of my belly, and talking about each procedure, he highly recommended RNY because of my high BMI of 60. He also pointed out that the research shows RNY to be most effective for a person like me needing to lose more weight and maintain a higher weight loss.

A much needed update: I have been placed on Kaiser's Bariatric Eating Plan and have been exercising 2-3 days per week (I absolutely ABHOR exercise, so I'm starting out slowly with movement I like such as Water aerobics and circuit training). I weighed in for a Kaiser appointment, and according to their scale, I was down 10.6 pounds! This was after 3 weeks on this new way of living. At the end of this week, I am to call my Bariatric office with updates on how I'm doing. It feels good to have made this far thus far, so I'm keeping at it.

Thanks for all the support!

Dev

Update: I reported to my Bariatric office today during a work break to have my weight recorded. I am now only 7 pounds always from meeting my pre-op surgery weight goal (I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months on their pre-op diet guidelines). They promptly scheduled my psych eval for next Friday. I think once that is completed, I'll get a surgery date. I honestly can't believe how close I am!!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Update: I reported to my Bariatric office today during a work break to have my weight recorded. I am now only 7 pounds always from meeting my pre-op surgery weight goal (I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months on their pre-op diet guidelines). They promptly scheduled my psych eval for next Friday. I think once that is completed, I'll get a surgery date. I honestly can't believe how close I am!!!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Congrats LaDivaDev! You are really getting close to surgery and congrats on your weight loss:) I am going through Kaiser Fremont as well. I just attended their orientation yesterday. This upcoming Wednesday is my consultation with the surgeon, dietician and coordinator.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

Thanks so much; since then my scale says I'm already down another 3 pounds. I honestly can't believe I'm getting this close!

Quick update: I had my psych eval today and was told by the doctor that I'd be cleared. I stood on the scale again and I'm now only 4 lbs away from goal. The only thing left now is my EKG and final review by my surgeon prior to getting a surgery date. I'm only hoping the date works out in terms of scheduling time off from work, logistics, etc.

One day at a time...

Edited by LaDivaDev