Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So let me get this straight....I'm home....no sugar no carbs no caffeine hardly any alcohol work out five days a week....stuck at same weight for three weeks. Go out of town eat a bunch of shit all day for five times a day don't work out drink alcohol come back… Lost 3 pounds. WTF? How my supposed to keep making progress when my body is an asshole and makes no sense at all?

Only thing I can deduce from this exercise is that maybe I wasn't eating enough before or I was gaining muscle before as well…#mybodyiscray #annoyed #53lbsdown #20togo

post-255097-14559965507486_thumb.jpg

Nope, that's probably not what happened.

You are still expecting your body to operate like your car does when you drive it -- and you see the gasoline gauge needle move steadily downward during a few hours as you drive.

But our bodies don't lose weight in that kind of linear, steady, fast way. They lose weight in jagged, start-stop-(even gain) movements. Bet you never saw your gas gauge move back up 3/4 full after it was at 1/2 full.

Weirdly, our bodies hold on to "weight" (meaning mostly water) thanks to monthly cycles, sodium content, Constipation, how much we're working out (more gym work certainly makes the scales stall or even rise) or who knows why. And then suddenly it drops weight in response to nothing we ate or drank or did yesterday.

That's why you literally need to ignore the scales and focus SOLELY on what you are doing.

Who knows -- perhaps if you'd eaten better on the trip, worked out more, not drunk so much alcohol you'd have lost 5-7 pounds.

Seriously -- do not expect that what you did yesterday or this week will show up on the scale tomorrow or next week. But you will certainly see results on a month-by-month basis.

This is how weight loss happens for most WLS patients. Your body is not the only "crazy" one. ;)

changing your routine is a great idea, and that's what you did. Your body got a bit more fuel and a chance to recover from your workouts. Moving forward, you might try adding another hundred calories to your day, and taking an extra rest day every other week or so. Dong too much can be as hard on your success as too little.

I've had some similar experiences.....week of hardcore discipline w/ no scale movement.....weekend of some excess celebrating and scale drops nicely......

For me it seems it's all about what type of momentum I have going on the past several days before it shows up on the scale.

Congrats on having some fun on occasion. You aren't doing all this to live like a monk. Looking great in your pic. Keep smiling and keep moving forward !!!

Learning that it really isn't as simple as calories in/calories out has been the weirdest thing during this whole process.

Yeah I'll admit I expect if I do the right thing the right things will happen and if I do the wrong things the wrong things will happen. I don't expect it to be some guaranteed formula and I expect to have ups and downs and stalls but I don't expect to do everything wrong and lose weight that makes no sense to me. There has to be some sort of system that works and if doing all the right stuff isn't that system then what can I base it on???

Yeah I'll admit I expect if I do the right thing the right things will happen and if I do the wrong things the wrong things will happen. I don't expect it to be some guaranteed formula and I expect to have ups and downs and stalls but I don't expect to do everything wrong and lose weight that makes no sense to me. There has to be some sort of system that works and if doing all the right stuff isn't that system then what can I base it on???

I've found if I'm following my plan 90-95% of the time, it will work. That's the system to follow. Just stay the course aside from the little detours that happen. Consistency is definitely they key!

ate like crap all weekend. didn't work out. still lost weight lol. but i will get back on track this week and hopefully all will go as "planned". one thing i will say is i FEEL fatter even though i'm losing weight. working out is what gives me my shape and that tight feeling so i guess i have to sacrifice weight for muscle/shape. im willing to do that. i actually look like the smallest person in the photos of my conference in florida. that's an experience i've never had before. i want to get down 20 more lbs and really see what it's like to feel great about myself. i feel good now but i want to feel great so still some work to do! onwards and upwards! :)12715685_10208249264446557_6977843080317

worked out super hard yesterday. didn't eat well. but also didn't eat a lot of bad things. anyways body is still losing so maybe i just broke the plateau by shocking it. i'm happy it's moving and will just keep doing the right stuff. 160 here i come!

things have been tricky but 'ok'. im down to 171 now. had a bit of a stall week last week trying to figure things out but this week i seem to be 'ok'. i admit im not sure what works anymore or what my loss triggers are but im just trying to stay good. i worked out twice yesterday but my Protein intake was bad so im gonna try and make that better today :) 12042727_10208449615175200_8019320116197