Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solid foods soon. Kinda scared

I'm about to start solid foods and I am super nervous. I'm afraid the minute I put food in my mouth I will gain weight. I don't know why I have this fear. I'm sure it steams from not succeeding in the past. Anyone have any suggestions on how to help me through this?

Work the plan and the plan will work. I don't mean to be all yoga like...but I found that I didn't need to have it all figured out and didn't even need to believe...I just needed to follow the plan my surgeon laid out. Start with small bites, stick to the prescribed foods and you will do great!

Work the plan and the plan will work. Not trying to be like Yoda....but I found that I really didn't have to believe...I just had to follow the plan. Start with really small bites, follow the surgeon's food guidelines and you will be great!

I remember having a similar fear. Once you start though, it gets easier. As @@4me4them says, just work the plan. It takes a while to get in the groove of what you can eat, how to eat and when to eat but give it time and you will succeed!

You might stall when you start the new stage, but don't panic it's completely normal. As the above poster said, just keep doing what your supposed to do.

Sent from my SM-G900H using BariatricPal

Measure your portions and know how much volume you are supposed to have.

Stick to that and only that amount.

Do not eat until you are full.

3 meals a day. No snacking.

Eat the right types of food.....high proteins: meat, chicken, seafood, cheeses.......

Avoid any and all junk food and sweets.

Be very careful of calories that you drink, too. It is amazing what damage you can do with simple beverages. I stick to Water, coffee & tea (with splenda and Fairlife milk). If I'm having an adult drink on the weekends.....then it's mixed with low calorie mixer, too.

You've got this.

So I don't eat until full? Now I'm more confused. My handbook says 4 to 8 oz. per meal. Right now I'm lucky if I can eat a quarter of a scrambled egg before I'm full. That's nowhere near 4 oz.

So I don't eat until full? Now I'm more confused. My handbook says 4 to 8 oz. per meal. Right now I'm lucky if I can eat a quarter of a scrambled egg before I'm full. That's nowhere near 4 oz.

Early out, eat what you can. You can put the rest in the refrigerator and come back to it later,

@@Dub usually gives excellent advice but I am going to have to disagree with him about the three meals, no snacking. You need to follow your program.

Mine is 100 grams of Protein a day. If I didn't eat more than three times a day I would never get in my Protein.< /p>

Also, I don't eat until I'm "full". I eat 1) either my planned portion or 2) part of my planned portion (saving the rest for later) whichever comes first. Eat until you are "satisfied", not full.

Track everything so you KNOW that you reached your protein goal, don't guess.

Eat slowly. Take small bites and chew slowly. This is really important, especially as you transition to soft and more solid foods so you can learn what it feels like to be satisfied. There is a fine line between just enough and one bite too many.

Also, even though it is common to feel fearful about gaining weight when you transition between stages, that is really the last thing to be worried about. As a matter of fact, this is an excellent time to just stay off the scale,

If you want to obsess about anything, obsess about reaching your protein and Fluid target every day. That was more than enough to keep me busy in the first few weeks.

You will be fine. Just go slow and try one new food at a time. If something doesn't work, then try it at a later date.

It will take time to work up to that amount. You are doing just fine with quarter of scrambled egg. You will be able to eat a little more each week. My best advice is don't sit with your food forever waiting to get full. Eat for 30 minutes Max and then put it away.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal

Those are probably "final numbers". I'm over two years out and I can't eat an 8oz meal. Like others said, don't eat until you're full. It's a bad habit to have because later on you WILL be able to eat more and you will be able to "out eat" your calorie requirement. Get used to being just satisfied, not full.

And just cause you are allowed to eat X amount, you don't have to. I couldn't eat more than a couple tablespoons of anything solid until at least 4 months out. Meet Protein and Fluid goals and don't worry about amounts of food at this point. Get you Protein from shakes if that's what it takes.... I still do.

Not sure how to respond other than to listen to your body and follow the program at the current time period you are in.

My instructions now....at 4 months are 1/2 cup of food per meal....three times per day....and to add a Protein shake if needed on really active gym days.

This is being done.

All is well and the scale is moving and I feel great.

Surgeon said by a year out.....I should be at a cup if desired.

Yesterday was day 4 on solids. I had half to three quarters a 5 oz yogurt for Breakfast a quarter to a thrid of a veggie patty (no bun) for lunch and 6 cubes of chicken for dinner. Each time I ate until I felt full but not stuffed. Maybe I am overeating? I'm just really nervous about screwing up and going through all this for nothing.

My instructions for when I go into solid food is 80-100g per serving, stop eating after 20 minutes.