Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feb 23 Sleevers!

I'm a little late to the party but I also had surgery on the 23rd. My surgery was at 2:30 pm so I was out of the hospital 6pm on Wednesday. It would have been earlier but the pain meds had me so nauseous that I could barely move. I had to switch to Tylenol before I left and have been on that since leaving but the he pulls are too big to swallow so I have cut into pieces or crush.

So far my pain is gas pain, the incision sites aren't bad at all although it feels like something is pulling on my stomach inside.

I am drinking Protein drinks and Popsicles and occasionally broth. So far it's all working well. Water doesn't taste so good right now. I can't wait to eat real food. A deviled egg sounds like the best thing on earth right now!

Welcome to the Party! :) I had a similar experience with the pain meds making me nauseous...after a while it stopped though. The gas pain was minimal, it seems to be worse yesterday and today.

I feel the pull on my incisions too, and turning in the bed is PAINful! Wish I had a recliner.

I am doing popsicles, and Jello, juice...but my Dr. does not give Protein. That seems strange.

I am much hungrier than I thought I would be, and I would love real food right now too! Hey, at least we will appreciate it when we can eat it again! :)

Apparently my hernia was very large. So I'm sure that's what caused alot of my nausea. liquids are going down much easier today and burping is easier and not very painful. I have had to take anti nausea meds since 3am. :) I got out and walked around the grocery store today. I also have managed to get in over 60g if protien. But only about 20oz of Water. How are yall doing on your liquid I takes?

Apparently my hernia was very large. So I'm sure that's what caused alot of my nausea. liquids are going down much easier today and burping is easier and not very painful. I have had to take anti nausea meds since 3am. :) I got out and walked around the grocery store today. I also have managed to get in over 60g if protien. But only about 20oz of Water. How are yall doing on your liquid I takes?

Good news! Glad you got out. I just walked around my house today. I'm no on Protein (which is so odd to me), and I hardly got any fluids in yesterday. Today, I've gotten 27 oz of Clear Liquids (with great effort). Not sure how to get in more, when I push it and drink to fast or more, a weird sound happens, and it seems like it gets stuck in my esophagus before going down. I'm trying to pick it up though, because I know you feel worse when you're dehydrated.

Hi all, I had my sleeve down in Melbourne, Australia on Feb 22. Had a pretty easy time afterwards with minimal pain and was released from hospital Thursday 25. I don't have any minimal Protein requirements and am looking forward to puree stage

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Sweet! Glad things are going smoothly :)

It is so weird that we are getting different advice on Protein or not. I am feeling pretty good today. I think I feel stronger after having a little protein from time to time. I walked to the park with my kids today and as of 9am I even stopped taking any Tylenol which was my pain killer (although I may take some tonight to sleep better). I wouldn't say I'm starving or really even hungry but I am craving some solid foods for sure. I made some homemade broth today and by habit put a little slice of jalapeño for flavor before taking it out. Don't do that. It burned all the way down and I am going to have to create a new broth tomorrow. Yikes!

It is so weird that we are getting different advice on Protein or not. I am feeling pretty good today. I think I feel stronger after having a little Protein from time to time. I walked to the park with my kids today and as of 9am I even stopped taking any Tylenol which was my pain killer (although I may take some tonight to sleep better). I wouldn't say I'm starving or really even hungry but I am craving some solid foods for sure. I made some homemade broth today and by habit put a little slice of jalapeño for flavor before taking it out. Don't do that. It burned all the way down and I am going to have to create a new broth tomorrow. Yikes!

I seem to be the only one who isn't having the protein. My doctor is the "Director"of the Bariatric unit near me, but some of the information and direction I'm getting from her, doesn't seem very knowledgable. She told me she took about 70% of the stomach out, and that seems to be minimal compared to so many others on here. Also, I had a small hiatel hernia that she didn't repair (and the resident drs. said she doesn't repair...which is strange because it seems like a all Bariatric docs do the hernia repair).

I'm trying not to panic about these things, but it does worry me. Staying in prayer for a good outcome. :)

It is so weird that we are getting different advice on Protein or not. I am feeling pretty good today. I think I feel stronger after having a little Protein from time to time. I walked to the park with my kids today and as of 9am I even stopped taking any Tylenol which was my pain killer (although I may take some tonight to sleep better). I wouldn't say I'm starving or really even hungry but I am craving some solid foods for sure. I made some homemade broth today and by habit put a little slice of jalapeño for flavor before taking it out. Don't do that. It burned all the way down and I am going to have to create a new broth tomorrow. Yikes!

I seem to be the only one who isn't having the protein. My doctor is the "Director"of the Bariatric unit near me, but some of the information and direction I'm getting from her, doesn't seem very knowledgable. She told me she took about 70% of the stomach out, and that seems to be minimal compared to so many others on here. Also, I had a small hiatel hernia that she didn't repair (and the resident drs. said she doesn't repair...which is strange because it seems like a all Bariatric docs do the hernia repair).

I'm trying not to panic about these things, but it does worry me. Staying in prayer for a good outcome. :)

I think you might end up better off in the long run by not pushing your stomach now in the short term like we are sure to be doing. It will turn out fine either way I'm sure. We are at least on the road to recovery. Not too many more weeks before we all end up in a similar eating situation. ????

I think you might end up better off in the long run by not pushing your stomach now in the short term like we are sure to be doing. It will turn out fine either way I'm sure. We are at least on the road to recovery. Not too many more weeks before we all end up in a similar eating situation.

I SO needed to hear that. Thank you for writing it. :) Soon, this part of things will be distant memory for us.

Hi blue sky, I haven't been told to have Protein either. I'm just adding some in as a precaution....figure it couldn't hurt.

Hi blue sky, I haven't been told to have Protein either. I'm just adding some in as a precaution....figure it couldn't hurt.

Oh, OK...I thought I was the only one. It appears I couldn't get it in if I wanted to right now. After working really hard to get fluids in (and drinking for 11 hours) I only got 31 oz in. I feel really bloated and haven't had a BM since before surgery. I think that's going to be it for me tonight. I literally feel like I am going to explode. Have a great night. :)

I was ok once i was at the Hopsital on IV and their foods like teas and Jello and broth and also icy but now the biggest challenge is trying to continue the same routine that I was on at the hospital I've been drinking so much Water and today i was starving. Even when i drank tea I was still hungry. Trying to drink 2-3 ounces is so hard it was a lot easier in the hospital. Monday they put me on Proteins right now I'm struggling I get light headed and try to walk and keep active but I get tired easily I guess it's cause I'm on this liquid diet

So I had a bowel movement today. But I had to drink 2 oz of prune juice

I got a little over 40oz of fluids in today. But alot of it came from sugar free popsicles and gatorade.

I'm adding unflavored protien powder to my broths. The unflavored ones are still clear.

I had my hernia fix because that's the only way I could get this surgery done in the states. My surgeon billed my insurance for the hernia repair and then I paid out of pocket for the actual sleeve itself.

My bmi is low. It was 34 when I started and I have no comorbidities. I would've had to gain 40lbs to have my insurance cover the entire procedure.

I was sleeved on Feb 2nd and was in hospital for a week (just the standard time for my surgeon). During that first week we were focusing on hydration and getting me to sip all day, not on Protein, as hydration was really important. But when I left they told me to focus on Protein and Water, so could it simply be because you're not far out? Now you're home you should try and get protein in for sure. If you haven't been given a target you can use the formula:

Weight (in kilograms) x 0.8 = your protein needs.

Then see what your doc says when you see him again.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Edited by perforce

My NUT said for women she likes it to be 60-80grams per day. For men 80-100grams.

But since we are all still on a clear liquid diet, we can use unflavored protien powders added to drinks or broths to gets us where we need to be