Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if you don't return to your doctor visits after post-op?

So, I went to see my NUT today and left very upset!

She is not the supportive type but more of a robot. She has a check list of what she needs to cover and doesn't wait to hear answers nor questions brought on by her "check list". I was very upset that when I asked certain questions that it appears she wasn't listening as she asked me the same questions a few minutes later.

I stated that we don't click and she informed me that that was ok, she wasn't going to see me anymore..... who says that to a patient???

I called into the program coordinator and shared my experience but I don't know if she really will do anything. I don't want to go back.... what can they do to me??? NOTHING!!!!!

And I woke up so happy today too :-(

Your doc probably won't do anything.

Last year my surgical team asked me how helpful the NUTs on their team had been to me, and I said: "Not much. They offer only elementary nutritional advice, which everyone who's ever dieted before knows already. Plus, they don't show much actual interest in bariatric patients." (the NUTs also advise diabetic patients).

Then I was told, "That's what other WLS patients say. We need to find some new NUTs, but it's hard -- there aren't a lot of good ones out there."

As a result, I have come to regard most NUTs as the bimbos of the bariatric industry.

(My apologies to the good NUTs and their WLS patients who are on this board. And I have heard of a few of them out there.)

Both programs I've been to have stellar nuts they really like what they do

Both programs I've been to have stellar nuts they really like what they do

I didn't think they could do much.... put back my stomach? LOL

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with nutty NUTS!!

If you're not going to see your nut or surgeon anymore, (with good reason) I would suggest joining a bariatric support group. These follow up appointments are designed to help us stay on track.

Also, be sure you keep up with your blood tests. Your PCP may be able to order them for you as long as he or she knows what to look for in a bariatric patient.

Our dietician was just for the bariatric program, but I only had to see her once before surgery and once, after. Thank goodness, because she and I didn't see eye to eye. They had already given us a big book, what some termed the bariatric bible, on each phase of their program, diet included. It had each phase, along with recommended foods for each meal. We also received a recipe book. I like my bariatric nurse practitioner, which is the only person I have been able to see. I have to get a ride, from my husband, so I go by his schedule and it never coincided with my surgeon's. I liked my surgeon, too, though. I had to go at certain intervals, since it was required by Medicare.

Sent from my SM-G860P using BariatricPal

I understand being upset with the nutritionist but you need to let your surgeon's office know about this. If this is someone on their team they want to know you aren't happy. And your surgeon's visits are an important part of your recovery and staying on track.

I looked into what It would take to get my Registered Dietician qualifications because I really thought I would be a great addition to my bariatric surgeons office! Sadly it was way to extensive a process... Basically two years of undergrad classes (I already have a masters in psych) and then a year of full time internships in all kinds of unrelated settings... Hospitals, geriatrics, etc. dang!

Man I'm so sorry to hear that. My surgical office has two dedicated nutritionist and they only deal with bariatric patients in the practice. I will see him throughout the next next year he's also available to me via email. Before I was discharged from the hospital he came to see me to make sure I understood what my diet would entail since it would be a week until I would see him again. I think all WLS programs should run this way. I never feel alone.

Edited by MSDiggs

I never talked to my nut once after surgery. I never attended a support group. I tell my PCP when my bloodwork needs to be done and what tests to run, based on the info packet my surgeon gave me. I take my supplements and adjust them according to the lab results. I meet my Protein and fluid goals every day. I make healthy food choices. I lost over 100% of my excess weight and have maintained for over 1 1/2 years. It really isn't rocket science.

I work nights and my surgeon is only available on days I work, so I need the earliest appointment. After him not showing and seeing a lady doctor I don't like twice, I've transferred followup to my PCP. I did my medically supervised weightloss with him, and we have a great raport. He respects my knowledge about the process and is willing to listen to my issues and help resolve them.

I went to my NUT one time pre-op. She knew nothing about bariatrics and tried her hardest to sell me her MLM Vitamin line which I found pretty shady.

I loved and depending on my surgeon's NP. She guided me nutritionally, though my issues with dumping, the stricture and stalls. She is a big reason for my success and I look forward to seeing her.

My Nut visit fulfilled an insurance requirement. That's it. I was told to schedule with one of the grocery store dieticians so I did. Listened to her schpeel, didn't learn anything new, (I'd been well educated in support group meetings), got my form signed paid her and was on my way. In my experience you have to jump through some hoops (most of them valuable) to get this done. If you want it. Do it. If you have concerns about the advice you're getting, get another opinion. As far as post op monitoring, I saw my surgeon at 1 month, 3 and 6. Labs at 3 and 6. Subsequent labs are done yearly with my pcp as my surgeon left the city.

I had to see the NUT for 6 months. She's nice enough, but pretty much useless IMO. Doctor must think the same thing because they sent the case manager rather than the NUT to go over my post-surgery diet plan before hospital release. Like others have said, it's just hoops.