Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your barometer for reaching goal ? May have found mine........

Obviously many of us focus on the scale measurement as our barometer for reaching our goal. I was wondering if you had certain pieces of clothing from the past that were representative of your new goal weight.

Scale tells me that I'm 80 lbs out from that point.

80 lbs. I'm not even sure I know what that looks like anymore. It's been a fast paced roller coaster since this bariatric bidness began for me last June.....and faster still since October's surgery.

My post-op goal weight is to settle in somewhere in between what I weighed in high school junior and senior years. Surgeon agrees it's a reasonable weight to maintain.

What will it look like ? It's been so long ago that I can't remember.

Unfortunately I no longer have any of my old jeans from those days. Lol. They never made it through the 90's. Metallica, Iron Maiden & Ozzy concerts. Ripped and shredded to the point of no repair.

Up until yesterday, I figured I'd just stay the course and find out when I get there.

Was going through the closet yet again and pulling out stuff that didn't fit and getting it into the hands of someone who could use it. I ran across a relic. A perfect example of what being at goal will look like for me.

I found my high school letterman's jacket.

I tossed it aside for later consideration.

This morning I saw it as I was getting my gym clothes on. Sitting there. Grabbed and took it into the kitchen where coffee was made ready.

A trip back for a refill and I couldn't stand it anymore......I had to know........would this thing fit? More accurately, I suppose, the thought was ....how far off is it from fitting?

i found out.

I'll say this....there will come a day when it fits. Today is not that day......but soon. Soon it will. Well before my 30th class reunion later this year. LMAO at this old coat. It will be staying around....returning to the closet.......waiting for a few more months.

Had some good laughs this morning over my coffee.

Forgive my ramblings and my nostalgia. It's good to be reconnected with sources of great memories.

26EhlkE.jpg?1

FtOTXSg.jpg?1

See..... @@OKCPirate .....I told you I was a Viking before I became a Pirate.

znLYhjM.jpg?1

10 lbs of sausage in a 5 lb casing........LMAO.

as7Cvg8.jpg?1

27HQ8T7.jpg?1

Today is not that day......but I have the confidence in my sleeve that it will help me see that day. So dang grateful to be getting this weight off.

So, please jump in and tell about your old clothes that are you new goal barometer......or maybe you have recently bought something new that you are looking forward to fitting in.

Let's hear about it.

Congratulations! You look terrific! I was in the military for 8 years so all of my "older" clothing and jackets are long gone but I do have a pair of boots that would be awesome to fit in again (they don't zip past my calves). I'm so ready for this surgery!

About three sweaters that date to 9th grade, circa 1962. Also a wonderful raincoat bought during freshman year of college. And the finest-quality suede-front dress purchased in early 20's, worn once because I deliberately bought it snug -- the old "I'll lose weight for it" gambit. I know where the dress and coat are and they are not outdated. The sweaters, I expect, have remained cardigans, one hooded and the color of coffee ice cream.

Dub, you can get your jacket closed. It'llll be a good fit before you know it.

I blew past my favorite jeans I couldn't wait to wear after week two. But I do have a weird goal, My sister and her wife cleaned out their closet and passed everything to me. They pulled out a pair of capri pants they had their first fight over. My sister like me is cheap, My sister in law was brought up name brand. They cost $150, they look and feel like capris that are $19 but they are my new goal. They also gave me a jacket that my SIL had since college I love, so capris and that jacket are my new goal.

@@Dub that jacket looks great already, can't wait to see you make your goal for the reunion,

Mine was how I looked in clothing. My goal weight was initially 150 then I moved it down to 135 and now I am 130. I was aiming for a size 12 I got down into a size 8. So basically the numbers meant very little to me in the end. It was mainly about how I looked in my clothes.

@@Dub - OKCPirate .....I told you I was a Viking before I became a Pirate...I was too (DH Conley HS - http://wp.pittschools.org/dhc/).

I was glad I had my old Army uniform. It was a nice affirmation when it fit again. I went to one veteran event, and while I could get my arms in it, I couldn't button it up ;-(. Can now ;-)

Congrats in getting into your old jacket. I was a strong dude back in HS, but I know I could kick his butt today...age and cunning beat youth and speed.

@@Dub - OKCPirate .....I told you I was a Viking before I became a Pirate...I was too (DH Conley HS - http://wp.pittschools.org/dhc/).

I was glad I had my old Army uniform. It was a nice affirmation when it fit again. I went to one veteran event, and while I could get my arms in it, I couldn't button it up ;-(. Can now ;-)

Congrats in getting into your old jacket. I was a strong dude back in HS, but I know I could kick his butt today...age and cunning beat youth and speed.

Thank you for your service.

@@Katnroyal - thank you and all the others who paid for it. I think I accomplished my mission...the commies were a problem, and after 12 years of service, the Soviet Empire crumbled, so I was done ;-)

I used to have a pair of "goal" pants that fit me for a brief moment at the beginning of my sophomore year of college. Nothing special, just ones that I really liked from Old Navy. I almost made it in them after doing Weight Watchers about 8 years ago, but then I gained the weight back, and then a lot more. I held onto them until about a year and a half ago, when I had kinda given up and figured that it was pointless to hold onto them, that there was no way I'd ever fit into them again. I'm still kicking myself that I got rid of them! Of course, they'd be too big on me now. :D

Now my clothing motivation for maintenance is--of all things--a British Army women's Auxiliary Territorial Service uniform from 1942. My husband and I recently started doing WWII reenacting (yes, we're nerds!), and I'm able to fit into an original issue uniform for my portrayal. Obviously it's not something you can just pick up in any size at your local Target, so I have to stay small enough to wear it!

med_gallery_248928_22543_15901.jpg

Edited by lauraellen80

@@Dub

Love the pictures :D lol

Mine is my pre-weight gain clothes. Right now I have a closet full of stuff that doesn't look like anything I could possibly ever wear :( but I'm less then a month post-op, so it's going to be a while.

Congrats on your progress!

Congratulations! You look terrific! I was in the military for 8 years so all of my "older" clothing and jackets are long gone but I do have a pair of boots that would be awesome to fit in again (they don't zip past my calves). I'm so ready for this surgery!

First and foremost.....Thank you for your service.

Boots & calves. I completely understand that dilemma. Trust me on that.

This surgery has been a true life saver for me. I can't begin to describe how much better I now feel.....and will continue to feel in the days ahead.

Life is good.

Brother, you gotta be kidding me. The irony here.....unreal.

Being able to get back into your Army uniform is super. Your return to fitness has been very impressive.

Thank you so much for your service to our country and to your ongoing support and wisdom. I am very grateful.

About three sweaters that date to 9th grade, circa 1962. Also a wonderful raincoat bought during freshman year of college. And the finest-quality suede-front dress purchased in early 20's, worn once because I deliberately bought it snug -- the old "I'll lose weight for it" gambit. I know where the dress and coat are and they are not outdated. The sweaters, I expect, have remained cardigans, one hooded and the color of coffee ice cream.

Dub, you can get your jacket closed. It'llll be a good fit before you know it.

9th grade sweaters.......simply awesome right there.

Wearing that dress will be quite an achievement and you'll feel like a queen in it. So much win in this. Fun stuff.

I blew past my favorite jeans I couldn't wait to wear after week two. But I do have a weird goal, My sister and her wife cleaned out their closet and passed everything to me. They pulled out a pair of capri pants they had their first fight over. My sister like me is cheap, My sister in law was brought up name brand. They cost $150, they look and feel like capris that are $19 but they are my new goal. They also gave me a jacket that my SIL had since college I love, so capris and that jacket are my new goal.

@@Dub that jacket looks great already, can't wait to see you make your goal for the reunion,

Outstanding. Blew past your favorite jeans. That's what I mean about this surgery. It's allowed me to far surpass my prior losses and no end in sight.

Rock that jacket and those capri pants !!!!!

Mine was how I looked in clothing. My goal weight was initially 150 then I moved it down to 135 and now I am 130. I was aiming for a size 12 I got down into a size 8. So basically the numbers meant very little to me in the end. It was mainly about how I looked in my clothes.

Amazing right there......moved well past your goal and are streamlining things to your satisfaction. Powerful.

Thank you for your service.

Well said. Much respect for both of them serving our country.

@@Katnroyal - thank you and all the others who paid for it. I think I accomplished my mission...the commies were a problem, and after 12 years of service, the Soviet Empire crumbled, so I was done ;-)

I hear ya....and agree.

I used to have a pair of "goal" pants that fit me for a brief moment at the beginning of my sophomore year of college. Nothing special, just ones that I really liked from Old Navy. I almost made it in them after doing Weight Watchers about 8 years ago, but then I gained the weight back, and then a lot more. I held onto them until about a year and a half ago, when I had kinda given up and figured that it was pointless to hold onto them, that there was no way I'd ever fit into them again. I'm still kicking myself that I got rid of them! Of course, they'd be too big on me now. :D

Now my clothing motivation for maintenance is--of all things--a British Army women's Auxiliary Territorial Service uniform from 1942. My husband and I recently started doing WWII reenacting (yes, we're nerds!), and I'm able to fit into an original issue uniform for my portrayal. Obviously it's not something you can just pick up in any size at your local Target, so I have to stay small enough to wear it!

med_gallery_248928_22543_15901.jpg

Very cool hobby. Great way to keep things in check as I imagine the costumes truly are not easily replaced. Sort of a built in strategy with your hobby.

@@Dub

Love the pictures :D lol

Mine is my pre-weight gain clothes. Right now I have a closet full of stuff that doesn't look like anything I could possibly ever wear :( but I'm less then a month post-op, so it's going to be a while.

Congrats on your progress!

Thanks......was in a goofball mood this morning. I tend to get that way much more often these days. No firm agenda.....a day off work with my son out of school. Just some gym time and fun with the grill later on.

You will be amazed at how well things will progress for you if you stick with the plan and get in some exercise when you are able to. You can easily find yourself feeling like it's not real......feels so good to get leaner.

@@Dub , that jacket is a great find. And you really are not far from wearing it comfortably.

Also, @@lauraellen80 ... your WWII military outfit rocks!

While losing weight post-op I shopped out of my closet down to size 12. After that, I shopped in high-end consignment shops, since I hadn't weighed my current weight since 1980.

I admit that the clothes I wore in the late 1970s / early 1980 wouldn't be appropriate today, since they didn't cover nearly as much as my current wardrobe does.

Think "American Hustle." ;)

@@lauraellen80, gorgeous photo. You remind me of Vivien Leigh in one of those Second World War movies.

Ooh, I'll take it! I do have the raised-eyebrow, "resting b***h face" down pat.

vivien_leigh.jpg

The 21" waist... not so much...

Not my goals, specifically. But my mother still has: my bat mitzvah dress, the dress I wore to my 8th grade graduation dance, and my junior and senior prom dresses. Mind you I was somewhere between chubby and fat for all of these. But methinks I might dig them out and try them on come thanksgiving. (I'm not quite 2 weeks post op now. Goal is a long way off.)