Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to Start Jogging

Hi All,

I'm very interested in jogging. I've tried a little bit here and there and don't get too far. I'm wondering if there is a weight where it's just unhealthy to jog. I'm 5'4" and weight 290. Am I just too heavy right now to jog? I'm fortunate enough to have healthy joints and would like to keep them that way. I currently walk 2-3 miles every day without any problems.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Hilari

I wish I could be more help, but I'll be watching this thread. I, unfortunately have had bad joints for about 8 years now, and I'm only 24 :) It sucks.

I have dreams where I'm able to run effortlessly and it's a huge high, and it feels great. It makes me think I may have a runner inside me after all. I just tend to shut her up with Cookies.

I walked through most of my weight loss. I started with a mile then 2 3 and 4 miles. When I got to 4 miles I stayed at that distance and added speed. I waited until I was down to 225 before I started jogging. I also started taking a glucosamine/chondroitin chewable from GNC to help out with the joints.

JC

I didn't feel my body could handle it until I got to about 250. Then I started with SHORT jogging segments (like 1 minute, then walk 4 minutes). When I got to about 220, I did the Couch to 5K program linked above. It was awesome and is STILL helping me along to goal. Woohoo!

My advice is listen to your body. If you do short segments (more shuffling than running, to get your heart rate up) and feel ok, then go for it. If not, be patient and know that you'll be able to handle it soon.

I have started the couch to 5K program too - I am at week 6 now. I also have a very bad knee. I started to take the glucosamine chondroitin with MSM (my trainer told me to get the kind that has MSM in it, as it is some kind of pain reliever). Anyway it is liquid and i only have to take it once a day. I have not noticed any difference but I will give it a shot. Also since my knee is already iffy- I use my knee as my guide, I dont want to hurt myself. I stay on a week until I can master that before going to the next week. I may have to be on week 5 for a while as then next week I am to run 8 minutes straight and I know I cant do that yet.

I knew I wanted to run becuase I had the same dreams of that effortless motion and the huge high, I even had memories of doing it until I was about 24 or 25.

I hate walking for exercise, I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie. so whilst I will happily walk with my DH for a chat and cover 5 or 6km I dont consider that my day's exercise. It has to involve sweat, pain and tears, lol.

I first tried running about 2 months after banding when I was down about 14kg, I probably had a BMI of about 30 at that point. I'd had a bad ankle which made even walking impossible, but had a cortisone shot in it just before banding and it had ceased to give me so much trouble. Before that I'd been working quite hard on an elliptical trainer with only about 2 weeks off to recover from surgery.

I planned on doing Cool Runnings Couch to 5K so started out cautiously but when it came time to drop back to a walk I felt like I could keep jogging so I did. I ran 3kms that night and I never looked back, I started doing it 3 x a week (worried aobut pounding my ankle on concrete, so kept it to that number) and then bought a treadmill and started running every day. After a few months, I did my first 4km fun run, loved that, trained for a five, so took up more outside running again and did the 5. Then we went away to gorgeous Byron Bay and ran a 6km course every single day up there, and then got home and trained for a 10km event in december. Since then, I run 10km or more once a week, do a couple of 8km runs and a few hour long weights circuits.

I love the Couch to 5k! I've done it several times.

I'm getting banded in two weeks. I am currently a runner-- albeit a very, very slow one. My friends and I have an annual race we sign up to do together, the Army Ten-Miler in Washington D.C. Its the first weekend in October.

To prepare for this race, I keep to a steady mileage buildup, running 2 to 3 days during the week and a long run each weekend. How much time will I need to take off from running post-op? I assume since it is a higher-impact activity than walking that I will be need to be careful to let my stitches, etc. heal before returning to my regular schedule?

Hi Hilarious

Years ago when I was thin, I loved jogging, and thought I would start again. I started walking at least 30 minutes per day last summer, so i'm ready for a new challenge. I am 5'3 and weigh 214 pounds. I will be banded on August 15th. I asked my doc (who is also a marathon runner) and he suggested that at this weight jogging would not be good for my joints especially my knees. He suggested that I go to a gym and use the elliptical or cross trainer until I've lost at least 60 pounds before I can start jogging safely. I joined a gym tonight, I got a one year membership. This time next year (god willing) I will cancel it, in favour of jogging. I strongly suggest that you talk to your doc about this issue. Everyone is different, and you need to know what is right for you

Yes, you cant underestimate the burden the extra weight places on you. When I began jogging, I was cardiovascularly quite fit, certainly fit enough for jogging, but the fatigue in my legs after a couple of k's was unbelievable, I was staggering by the end of 3ks lest I make it sound too easy above.

And I'm trying to encourage my DH now and head out for a 3k run with him and seeing how hard he is finding it, when I know he can walk for 20kms or play 18 holes of golf on a hilly course, so he is not unfit, is a good reminder. It would be like if I went out now to run 3km carrying my 9 year old son on my back! I've lost his bodyweight. That would just about kill me and I'd fully expect to injury myself. So yes, take it slowly and carefully and it is a good idea to lose some significant weight first.

I started running at around 300 lbs. and progressed from there. I now run between 4-5 miles on the road everyday 7 days a week. I am training for a half marathon. My knees and joints are great. I love the high I get from running. Used to run all the time back in the day. Ready to take my mt bike out of retirement now as well.