Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else out there finding themselves real, I mean real hungry, very soon after eating? I will be 3 months out on 2/23, and for the past few weeks I find that I am starving, an hour or so after eating. I know most days my Breakfast is yogurt so it's expected, but today I ate scrambled egg for breakfast with tomatoes and Protein, and right now, I feel like I haven't ate all day! I wonder, and hope, it is my metabolism moving faster, but it is scary to think I can fit more food into my little stomach. Anyone else having the same "problem"?

Thanks!

Your sleeve empties out as quickly as it fills up. That's why you continue to experience hunger. I wouldn't start grazing, but it is fine to consider four to five smaller meals instead of three larger ones. I have also found that restriction peaks when you wake up and continues to decline throughout the day until bedtime. Obviously that isn't too helpful when trying to stick with Breakfast being the biggest meal and almost no calories before bed, but it's the way it is. Breakfast has just been too tough both sleeve-wise and time-wise, so I have generally been doing two lunches and two dinners (with the food from one standard lunch and one standard dinner), at the following times: L1: 11 am, L2: 2 pm (no Snacks in afternoon) D1: 6 pm, D2: 8 pm (very small snack or whatever is left over from that food no later than 10 pm), bed at midnight.

@@Mbain

My hunger kicked in my 3rd month. I hope you find what works to keep you full.

Some things to experiment with. These are just suggestions :P

It sounds like you are already eating vegetables and fruit with each meal. The Fiber will keep you full longer. You might want to look into increasing your calories ( ask your dietitian)

Satisfy sweet and salty craving with healthy alternatives.

I agree with @@SleevyWonder - 5 to 6 mini meals.

Below is an example of how a day of meals may look.

consider keeping your meals close to the same calorie totals. Eating 85 calories on one meal may make you hungry early for your next meal

Example If you are at 900 calories Approximately eat - 230 breakfast - 230- lunch -230 dinner...healthy Snacks In between meals 210 .... its about 6 meals a day.

Wishing you the best,

Jenn

I find that I am starving, an hour or so after eating. I know most days my Breakfast is yogurt so it's expected

You are not long out & it will get easier as you get into a new way of life.

Try different things especially things you find you really like that are not disguised hand grenades.

Have you discussed your 'hunger feelings' with your psych?

We are all very different, because from the beginning of mushy stuff until now I have never been or felt hungry.

A number of times I have indicated IMO a major problem is what has been learned upstairs telling folk they should be eating not what their 'new' stomach is telling them. Should be eating, is not hunger!

Of course one must eat to continue losing weight.

I know, as not feeling hungry I cut back & actually started gaining weight, after stalling.

What seems to work well for me is a couple of multigrain breakfast wheat bix with whole lactose free milk no sweetener then about 1 hour later [even though not hungry] I'll cook an egg any style & a couple of bacon rashers & have on thin toast with butter. Sometimes homemade corn beef hash instead of bacon, other times baked Beans [not the sweetened rubbish].

Home cooked everything is best but Italian canned baked Beans are really nice, low in sugar & Protein loaded [from memory these may be Trident brand in the US. Try the 99C stores].

Feeling hungry how about 2 tablespoons of Baked beans cold from fridge & can anytime.

Throughout the day about 1 litre of whole lactose free ice Decaf coffee no sweetener & that could do for the day....but there is always fruit [apple, banana, cherries, grapes] that I eat, not because of hunger but they seem to fit in with what I like & keeps me on the straight & narrow.

Cocktail hour & a couple of beers or ciders over ice, then when finished a small garden salad with Japanese sesame dressing.

Of course there is some variety & I feel no emptiness or being famished if these are the right terms, after going to the gym or daily long bike rides....that is when Water comes in handy.

@ the end of the day between yourself, doctor, psych & nutritionist I'm sure you can get this issue sorted with a little adaptation & experimentation....it is early times & now is when it is imperative to get things sorted right for the long term. Failure is never an option!

Edited by rastus

@@rastus

I don't have a psych. My "problem" was never, binge eating, eating when sad, bored, etc. Hell, I don't like chocolate, or sweets, or cake, or ice cream or anything of the sort. My issue was with eating too much of the wrong thing twice per day only and having a very sedentary life. Now I am on mainly Protein, 4 oz max of any type of Protein per meal. I don't see my NUT and doc until 2/24 so I'll see what they say. I am supposed to be taking about 75 oz of protein per day, which is challenging. I was never hungry before the two month mark, then suddenly I am. I have no cravings, and it just seems that whatever I eat does not stay in long before it's moved along; you are right, failure is not an option. This procedure hurt too much for something/someone to sabotage it. Best of luck on your journey.

Where I currently live these weight loss type Doctor's always have a team & psych is always part of that team.

These psych folk can be very helpful before & after, even if you don't think they could make any difference. I only saw mine once before surgery & haven't since.

After Vietnam I had a psych in the US DVA who helped introduced me to CBT when I was @ a terrible cross road.

CBT was something I heard about in Psych when doing my teaching qualification, but took little notice of.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201102/lose-the-weight-change-how-you-relate-food

CBT has brought my life full circle to where I think positively & am not unlike what I was like before experiencing Vietnam both in the head & now weight, body & self image.

You are doing great so far, but why not ask your doctor, if discussing your position with a psych experienced with weight loss clients may help you ride this rough patch you are concerned about? You know what is happening may turn things around & kicking another goal in the right direction

@@rastus

In the US you aren't considered a psych unless you get a doctorate, that said, I am a masters level mental health clinician, and I love CBT; it is my preferred method of therapy for my clients/patients. I also use mindfulness and person centered therapy, whatever my client needs! Sounds like the war was difficult for you, but I am glad CBT helped you :). So many vets go untreated for mental disorders, and it is a real shame.

I did see a psych too at first. I will talk to my team definitely to see if this is normal or what; to feel hungry every two hours or so. I hope that life continues to get better for you, and keep up on the good work :)

Around 3 months it seemed like most of my swelling was down and I could eat more and I also finally felt 100% and I was more active. I randomly have days where I am hungry all day. They pass.

I upped my Protein from 75 to 90 grams and that helped a lot. I also added denser meats.

Similarly qualified Psychs here....

I have seen no one mention meds they may be taking for other conditions that can cause all kind of munchy & weight gaining effects to the brain.

Is that a possibility?

@@rastus

I know that some anxiety meds cause one to be hungry, but I am no medical doctor. I am not eating more than I have. I usually wait until it is time to eat the next meal, or drink Water or a shake.

I just wanted to add that by hungry all day I mean I want to eat all day. Even before surgery I never wanted to eat all day. I always liked to just have one meal a day really. I don't have physical hunger but some days I just feel like eating every 2 hours. I correct it with drinking lots of Water.

How much Water are you drinking each day?

@@OutsideMatchInside

I strive for 80 oz, and I have accomplished it. To me it feels like physical hunger: the noises, the hunger pangs, I don't know if it is that or what. That's why I am confused.

Is it up in your chest? Do you take anything for acid? The only noises I ever have are in my intestines.

Not on my chest, and I don't think it's acid, only because it does not hurt. I will definitely ask my doctor :)

Your stomach is basically right below your sternum and is in your chest. If the pain and noises are coming from the lower part of your rib cage, that is your intestines. Depending on what I eat, if it hits my intestines fast, my intestines don't like it.