Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Milk: the Reason I Look Like a Heifer?

I've been tracking my food in MyFitnessPal, and noticed that my sugar intake is much higher than I expected every single day. It comes down to milk. I drink a lot of it. When I don't drink it, my femurs ache. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyway, between the sugar and the overall calories, I'm starting to accept that I should drink a lot less of it. This article is pretty convincing: How Drinking Milk Can Help a Hardgainer Get Bigger!

Has anyone else out there dropped milk for weight loss?

Are you taking Calcium supplements? Are you tracking how much calcium you are getting per day to see if you can continue to get enough without the milk?

I didn't think that milk slowed down my weight loss. But I usually drank only one glass of skim milk each day -- rarely, I drank two glasses a day.

I also still eat / ate a lot of cheese (full-fat) and was a big fan of Greek yogurt during my weight-losing phases. As a matter of fact, I'm eating a Dannon Oikos vanilla greek yogurt right now.

I always thought heifers were very cute animals -- quite attractive!

PS: I was told to avoid drinking calories in general, no mater what their source. I was cleared to do a little Creamer in my coffee and that's it. The rest of my calories are supposed to come from solid foods.

Are you taking Calcium supplements? Are you tracking how much calcium you are getting per day to see if you can continue to get enough without the milk?

No to everything. I'll go through my tracker today and see how much calcium I've been getting, and start experimenting with supplements. I just find the whole thing depressing. I think I'm going through the five stages of grief, but I went straight from denial to depression.

No to everything. I'll go through my tracker today and see how much calcium I've been getting, and start experimenting with supplements. I just find the whole thing depressing. I think I'm going through the five stages of grief, but I went straight from denial to depression.

I take the generic store brand equivalent of Citrical Maximum +D3. Make sure that if you start taking a calcium supplement, you get calcium citrate, not calcium CARBONATE. The citrate is better absorbed by bariatric patients. Also, make sure you do not take calcium at the same time as your multi-Vitamin. Iron in your Multi-Vitamin and calcium will compete for absorption.

See now my diet requires milk, twice per day. I don't always drink it but about every other day I drink 2 cups of milk, I make a pot of chai tea out of it. It delivers 17 grams of Protein and is more filling than any other snack.< /p>

I actually feel like on the days I drink milk for my snack vs. eating some other type of snack I lose.

When I snack I will typically have a Protein Bar, cheese, lunch meat and very occasionally a pudding or crackers.

Milk does the body good!

I probably drink 6 cups a day. That's a lot of sugar and a lot of calories. It's amazing what you see when you start tracking your food. On the up side, if I cut down to 1-2 cups a day, that's a lot of sugar and calories out of my diet. And maybe that's enough Calcium too.

I probably drink 6 cups a day. That's a lot of sugar and a lot of calories. It's amazing what you see when you start tracking your food. On the up side, if I cut down to 1-2 cups a day, that's a lot of sugar and calories out of my diet. And maybe that's enough Calcium too.

Wow, that IS a lot of calories! Even if you are doing skim milk. My nutritionist would have had a fit if I DRANK anything close to that many calories! I get about 60-70 calories a day from creamer or soy milk in my coffee and she's not even thrilled about that.

@@careya123

My surgeon requires 2 doses of Calcium a day to start on top of the 2 cups of milk however after my first set of labs we reduced my calcium dose to once per day.

Now I am bypass and calcium is one of the nutrients that for sure is malabsorbed so that could be why. I noticed you are sleeved and likely the normal dose is fine.

I think different people are more sugar and carb sensitive. I was raised drinking large quantities of milk and am fairly convinced it was one of many factors leading to my heifer like weight class. Even more so if combined with Cereal or Cookies or whatever.

I do eat yogurt, cheese etc.

Just came in to say your post title made me snort/laugh.

That is all.

Have you tried the fair life brand milk? It's real (cows milk) and tastes the same as regular milk (I'm picky) lol. The difference is that fair life has 13g Protein vs 8 in regular milk and has only 6g sugar vs 12 in regular milk.

I haven't had surgery yet; I'm waiting for my insurance company's approval. They don't require an MD supervised diet before surgery, but I wanted to get a head start on my weight loss.

Oh, I've been drinking 2%! Definitely 500-700 cals per day. And 50-75 g of sugar per day. Ouch. I've since started drinking 1%, and I think that's as low as I'm willing to go as far as fat is concerned.

It's funny how certain foods are eaten together. I love cold Cereal, and baked sweets such as Cookies and brownies. By cutting back on the milk, I will be cutting back on the others too. I've tried other 'milks' and they just don't cut it for me. Water it is!