Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety after sleeve?

Hi fellow sleevers!

I am currently on day 19 post op and feel good. My main issue is anxiety. I suffered from anxiety for years prior to the surgery, but it seems to have got worse since the surgery. I think some of it stems from fear of something going randomly wrong during my recovery. I keep telling myself that everything is ok and if anything was going to go wrong, it would have already. Did anybody else experience the same thing??

Sounds like a little panic attack situation. I use to have those BIG TIME. Over the last few years I have learn to accept my issues and not panic so much. You kind of have to just settle in your own mind that you don't have control and that what happens will happen. Let go a little.

Best wishes and I know where you are coming from.

I have anxiety issues and am grateful to be able to see a therapist twice monthly. I've learned lots of techniques for dealing with my anxiety and panic attacks. My go to is called "square breathing" I breathe in for the count of four, hold it for four, breathe out for a count of four and hold it for a count of four. I do this several times, as slowly as possible and it really helps me feel better.

Thinking positively to counteract the negative thoughts really helps too. I catch myself thinking something negative, then reframe it to a positive thought.

If at all possible, I highly recommend finding a good cognitive behavioural psychologist. Rather than just talking about feelings, they actually give you tips on how to cope :D

be kind to yourself. Your body has gone through a LOT a huge major change, plus the anesthesia can do a number on you! A warm soothing cup of tea, and sitting still and breathing deeply lamenting on all that you stand to gain (which is everything good minus the pounds), should help set your mind at ease dear. God bless on your journey, you've come this far, and you'll keep on going!

Please have your doctor check your hormone levels. If you were on any kind of hormone or antidepressant meds before the surgery your doses may need to be reassessed. This is major surgery and it can take up to year for your body to fully adjust. Periods can be out of wack, you can have temporary hair loss/thinning. I had these plus my thyroid hormone were effected. It's also perfectly normal to be anxious and fearful about the future and the new you as you start seeing changes in your body and how people respond to you. For many of us, food was a best friend and coping mechanism. We now have to find other ways to cope. It can be scary.

If eating was a way to cope with preop anxiety, then post op will present more issues since that outlet is now gone.

I agree that therapy can help you target where those feelings are coming from and discover healthier outlets and coping mechanisms.

Hang in there! It does get better ????

Thanks everyone! I just called my doctor to see what he thinks. I'm hoping it goes away. I hate feeling like I'm "in a fog" all the time. I'm also hoping maybe exercise will help. I get cleared to go to the gym on the 20th and think maybe exercising will lower my anxiety. It's so great to have this support group. I remember when I first started this journey and my doctors told me about support groups and I thought...I don't need a silly support group. But it's truly helped me through every step of the way! We are all in this together :)