Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dental problems post-op?

Has anyone had any dental issues since surgery? I know way back in the beginning of the bypass craze, dental issues were significant, but now that things have improved have the dental issues improved also? thanks!

I've seen a few people complain that they feel the bypass caused or worsened tooth decay. I'm not sold that it can so easily be traced to the surgery. A lifetime of brushing/flossing habits, heredity and keeping up with post op supplements are factors that will affect tooth gum health.

This is all about follow up to ensure you are getting proper macronutrients. Many do not realize when you choose to have weight loss surgery it comes with lifetime of Vitamins and annual blood tests to ensure your levels are correct.

Many have the surgery and at some point think they don't need to continue to take Calcium and other Vitamins and they stop following up with their Bariatric teams. Many general doctors have no idea how to follow a post Bariatric patient so it's important that you have proper follow up.

I would also add that what is interesting is understanding how many obese people are actually malnourished! I was shocked to learn this but the reality is many are eating the wrong things even though they are eating a lot.

I know I myself had big issues with macronutrients even when I weighed 310lbs. I had more dental issues at that time, I was anemic as well and severe arthritis which could be related to the crap I ate. I did not eat a lot and what I was eating was not providing good nutrition. My family could not understand how I could possible weigh 310lbs because I did not eat a lot. What I did eat was definately not healthy.

If I have learned anything through this journey, you really are what you eat.

Not to discount any ones previous research, but I have made notes in my Pre op diary to reming myself that my teeth already were in a poor state of repair which I attribute to long periods do drastic dieting, poor food choices when I was not. Also the bolemiaI suffered as a adolescent, vomiting through morning sickness in pregnancy and I must also add my like for champagne on a regular basis until 3 years ago, the failed lap band of 7 years and associated vomiting, " E I E I O" The list goes on.

Also our teeth are naturally going to deteriorate along with the rest of us as we get older and for women going through menopause.

I wrote these things down as a reference point as I have of my many pre op discomforts to look back on when I start scratching for answers. All I can do is take my supplements and look after them the best I can from here on in.

The other people who may talk about teeth problems are those who perpetually vomit. Digestive acids are not kind on enamel and dentation.

I haven't had any real dental issues,but I have a constant dry mouth and what I think is horrible breath. So embarrassing! ????

I talked to my dentist before I had surgery because I was really concerned about this. He said he hasn't seen this problem, but for all I know, he may only have 3 or 4 bariatric patients, and decay may not be all that common a problem. But he told me to keep up on my Calcium and Vitamin D, and he also wrote me a prescription for a high-fluoride toothpaste in case the problem is due to acid/vomiting. So far no problems - but then, I'm only nine months out.

I haven't had any real dental issues,but I have a constant dry mouth and what I think is horrible breath. So embarrassing!

have you tried biotene mouthwash? It's amazing!! helps with dry mouth and bad breath!

and thanks everyone for your feedback. I've always had healthy teeth (2 cavities my whole life) and I go to the dentist on a regular basis... I've seen people with dental issues after bypass but I figured it was due to poor hygiene and not taking Vitamins after like they're supposed to.

i have super mutant teeth i can go months without brushing and never get a cavity i produce excess flouride which is why i cant drink tap Water makes me nauseous but i will never need anything from a dentist besides an occasional cleaning because even though my teeth are epic my gums are thin

I am also concerned about this. The research I have done indicates that this problem is not so much one of not getting the right nutrients, but frequent vomiting and also changes in the composition of saliva. The best advice I have seen is to add more fluoride through trays or specialized toothpastes, and to really keep up with cleanings/exams so that any problems can be caught early.One dentist who posted on an ObesityHelp board recommended three cleanings a year.

I am also concerned about this. The research I have done indicates that this problem is not so much one of not getting the right nutrients, but frequent vomiting and also changes in the composition of saliva. The best advice I have seen is to add more fluoride through trays or specialized toothpastes, and to really keep up with cleanings/exams so that any problems can be caught early.One dentist who posted on an ObesityHelp board recommended three cleanings a year.

as I mentioned earlier, my dentist also said it could be due to acid/vomit, and he did prescribe one of those specialized toothpastes as a precaution (it's really high in fluoride - I use it before going to bed to give my teeth a fluoride bath all night). But your comment made me think of something ... I used to have a *ton* of tartar every time I went to the dentist. I really don't anymore - even my hygienist noticed. I'd been thinking maybe it was because I've been eating a lot fewer carbs since surgery - but could it be that my saliva is more acidic now? Interesting thought.

I've been researching this today as well. A lot of people - including some dentists - do think that overly acidic saliva could definitely be a culprit. In fact, I read a list of symptoms of having too much acid in your system in general - dry skin, dry hair, brittle nails, tooth decay - yikes! I have all that right now except for tooth decay. I thought it was due to not eating much fat, but maybe it's too much acid.

Anyway, some people suggested (in addition to regular dental cleanings) brushing your teeth with baking soda once a day, or chewing Xylitol gum. I noticed Walgreens also has Xylitol toothpaste. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and start using that in the morning and my aforementioned prescription toothpaste at night. I definitely do not want tooth problems!!

All -

I had a dentist appt yesterday, so I asked him about this. When we talked at my last appt, he did say acid was the most likely culprit, but calcium/vit D deficiency could cause problems as well.

He put me on that prescription toothpaste awhile ago (super high fluoride stuff that I use before bed). He said that, going to the dentist 3-4 times a year rather than 2 (so they can catch things early), and having a fluoride varnish applied to your teeth twice a year is really the best prevention there is.

I asked him about brushing with baking soda - he said it's too abrasive to use regularly. Also asked him about Xylitol products (mints, gum, toothpaste). He said they might help a bit - but that prescription fluoride toothpaste and the twice-yearly fluoride varnish are much better and those alone should be enough (oh - and regular cleanings - I have to go four times a year *anyway* because I have periodontal disease, so I'm already set on that one....)