Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else already dreading the loose skin?

I have my reasons for wanting this surgery. My main concerns are developing all of the health issues my father and his mother has and are struggling with. Im currently not suffering with any health issues but im 36 and if the weight keeps up i feel like its only a matter of short time. I dont want to wait..

On a less concerning note....Im really not looking forward to having a ton of loose skin...I have about 75lbs to loose. I carry alot of weight in my tummy...the rest of course is spread evenly between arms, thighs.

I feel like I will go from one insecurity (being overweight) to another (hiding lbs of saggy skin...dreading to wear short sleeves, be clothless around dh....)

I seriously doubt that I would have any cosmetic surgery because I simply do not make that kind of $

Just wondering if anyone else worries about this.....

I will be out two years from surgery this may and have lost 79 lbs. with about 15 lbs to go. My first year out I had very saggy skin on my legs, belly and arms. But things have drastically slowed, and my skin appears to be tighter. Now, not 25 yr old tight but really quite acceptable. I was convinced I would need a Tummy Tuck etc, but now my boobs are fine, my tummy is decent, my arms and legs have lose skin but in watching skin tight I think I look better than some of these people do after their plastics. This last 15 might make things worse. We'll have to see but overall. I wouldn't worry about it until your are at least a year out from surgery and get to see what your body has done for itself. I am 51 yrs old thought and am not as self conscious anymore but do feel I look pretty darn good now. I'm the short one

post-185079-14546464722306_thumb.jpg

Yes I do! However I do not know what I will be able to do if anything about it. I started this process at 497 pounds and have lost 200 pounds. I still have another 142 to lose and decided to do it with the sleeve. I just had my surgery Jan 26th and am concentrating on getting off the remaining weight. Once I do I will then look into what can be done with all the loose skin as I will have tons of it. I did this for my health and if I can't do anything about the loose skin at least I will be alive.

I used to dread it.....but a friend really put things into perspective for me.

Now.....not a worry. Gonna get the weight off and then address the excess skin with whatever plastics are needed and move on in life.

@@reachbree

Yep, I worried.

I think its normal to fear an unknown outcome. I looked up photos and videos of loose skin posted by brave bariatric patients. It prepared me.

I understand the insecurity.That feeling is not solved by weight loss. I'm much more confident. Big or small I'm good with my flaws. If I could afford it, I could see myself getting plastics. until then I'm loving my loose skin bad ass self.

I worry about loose skin too, and will not be able to afford plastics. My other concern is that my chest is going to completely disappear. My chest is definitely not proportionate to my stomach!

BUT I'd rather be 75lbs lighter with some loose skin and small chest.... Clothes and a good bra can make that look decent.... Whereas there is not a lot that makes me feel like I look decent as I am currently.

I will probably get my arms done, but I kinda don't care about my tummy and chest. So far, they are not terrible and a good bra and spanx's can make them manageable. However, these arms must go!

post-255522-14546661934193_thumb.jpg

Yes!! Oh my gosh, yes.

The thought keeps me up at night, researching loose skin and surgery options... I'm actually questioning whether I want to lose the weight at all because of it! I know that doesn't make sense, and it's much more important to be HEALTHY, and I know I would still be slim...

BUT I'm still scared. I'm saving up for surgery now... you know, the Tummy Tuck doesn't worry me as much as the reconstructive breast surgery...

Is it a question of trading nice firm breasts (accompanied with a 300 lb body and all its very real woes) for surgical scars and pain (and a new identity as someone with fake breasts)? Or would I keep the loose skin and sagging breasts and just enjoy being a healthier size?

I don't think it's simply a question of vanity... I think it's possibly an unwillingness to accept and live with the consequences of my letting myself get to this weight. Emotionally I want to erase the damage I did to myself, and the loose skin seems to me like it will be a painful reminder.

Fundamentally, it's a question of identity. I think that's what I'm wrestling with. Who am I now, who will I be after weight loss, and who do I want to be?

Now.....not a worry. Gonna get the weight off and then address the excess skin with whatever plastics are needed and move on in life.

Dub, how did you do it?

I'm wrestling with this issue now, and it's really throwing off my motivation. I would love to learn how to shift my own perspective.

Most of us had to work on adjusting to our new physical appearance. Inside you are yourself. With the weight loss your confidence will. increase. I would gladly take how I look now. I look health and athletic. Don't beat yourself down for any reason. It's all about your body image. You are beautiful inside and out.

post-216224-14548708971919_thumb.jpg

Dub, how did you do it?

I'm wrestling with this issue now, and it's really throwing off my motivation. I would love to learn how to shift my own perspective.

It was a natural order of things for me, I suppose.

The real struggle was finally getting my head wrapped around simply having the wls. Tossed the idea around for a few years.

Even that was a simple & easy decision once I injured my back. Knowing that it'd not likely heal at the weight I was....and if I proceeded with surgery....it wouldn't be much fun trying to recover at the weight I was.

Was consulting with another surgeon over another matter at the time. Both the spine guy and the other surgeon said the same thing......if you have wls you will not need our services.......SOLD !

Now that the weight is coming off I can see where there may be a need for further plastic surgery to deal with a couple areas. No biggie. I'll get 'r done and go from there. It'll be like slamming the door on my heavy past and enjoying what comes next.

Fun times.

Honestly, I never really thought about the excess skin. Now that I have spent time - lying awake at night - worrying about the excess skin, I feel some anxiety rising. My goal is to lose 180-200 pounds, which will leave me with a lot of extra skin. Yikes! I'm pretty sure that plastic surgery is not financially an option but I'm trying to tell myself that extra skin is better than extra weight.

Loose Skin Worrier

This is a very real concern and once Weightloss has begun loose skin can cause pain. From what I know, research and my support group, the best cute for that is to remain active and exercise is you can. Exercise will help you tighten and firm up. Many individuals I know who are going through this say they wished they had started exercising. Follow your doctors orders and do what you can but it definitely will help.