Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yep I totally get that. I even had a nurse on the second night I was at the hospital AFTER I had my sleeve done ask me-*so you tried all the other ways? you just had to do this??* I thought it was the drugs. I mean seriously she is questioning -a very serious decision I obviously made and just went through. Like what you couldn't do it like what everyone else does? oh wait they dont. It is annoying. That is why I didnt tell anyone except my husband. I dont need to be judged. good luck to you Lady!!

I would have complained to the charge nurse. If it was the charge nurse, then the administrator of the ward. That is awful.

Edited by HanSolo1977

This has been a good topic for me to read... I kinda bought into that "easy-out" hype for a while. I know that's not the way it is (never really did think it was that simple).

It also has confirmed my gut feeling that I shouldn't really tell too many that I'm considering/may do surgery. There's exactly 6 people that know that I'm even considering.

Edited by HanSolo1977

Those six people will tell six more HanSolo1977. Then six more will six more. Human nature. I never thought it possible not to tell until my precious husband intervened. Quiet about our business and thankful.

HanSolo -- you can always tell them later. But you can't untell anyone. And you sure can't untell the people they told. Remember, you don't have a deadline about telling anyone. Wait and see how you really feel about this issue. Then do what you really want to do -- either way.

Also, I think reading the posts might make you think twice about sharing with others. I remember a post way back where a HR person was told at the poster's job, and the HR person told people. Nothing seems sacred.

@ I'm actually pretty careful in picking who I told. My parents and wife. My boss, who I trust pretty well and two very, very close friends who I trust to stay quiet (one of which had RNY last year). Yeah, I know there's a chance they'll slip up, but I'm not being open about it (I'm typically a pretty open person about things). With any luck I can "control the narrative" as they say on West Wing.

@@VSGAnn2014 - That's a good statement: " you don't have a deadline about telling anyone" I know I'm going to get questions from co-workers when it comes time to disappear for a month, I'm practicing my polite versions of "None of your beeswax" B).

I already pretty much know what I'm going to say when people ask how I lost weight: "Clean living, exercise, and low carbs."

Since this is the internet, and, well, you know internet, I can't resist. It must be done.

*you're

:rolleyes: :lol:

Since this is the internet, and, well, you know internet, I can't resist. It must be done.

*you're

:rolleyes::lol:

You are absolutely correct ;-)

Before I had my surgery I was telling people I'm going to get it, once I released I was definitely getting it and after the surgery I wished I hadn't told anyone. Its difficult enough without all of that so do yourself a favor confide in a close family or friend only because you won't get support or applause from these people. Well done on achieving your first steps :)

I have not gotten that comment. I have been extremely open and honest with everyone about getting surgery. I also educate them on how this is a step in right direction, but it is not a cure. I share with them how people can and do gain weight. I share with them that the surgery only gives me a level playing field. That it is a "reset" for my body after all the years of diets, malnutrition, and poor choices. I let them know that I have to be even more careful than the most cautious dieter. I have to make sure I am getting nutrients and not junk or the adverse effects it can have. I also then share that I run 3 days a week, walk 3 days a week, do zumba once a week, lift at body pump 2 times a week, and never get fewer than 12,000 steps a day. I then ask what their work out regime is. I ask how much Protein they get a day. I ask if they are lacking any Vitamins or minerals. You can better believe that I am NOT!

Listing out your exercise regime is a really awesome way to combat the cheating argument!

I'm going to Florida in May. I could save money by strapping my kid to my back and dragging my suitcase behind me as I walk down the interstate, you know, to do it the "old fashioned" way but instead I'm going to pay a couple hundred bucks and fly us to Orlando in one hour and 45 minutes. Because that's the easy way out.

Just tell anyone who says that to you that weight loss surgery is the only proven way for obese individuals to lose weight and keep it off long-term. You're not taking the easy way out, you're taking the ONLY way out (for the majority of us - there are the 3-5% successful folks who manage to lose 100+ pounds without intervention).

You know, I got that same response from people and I'm sick of people saying that I am going to cheat trying to get WLS. I wish people would congratulate me that I am actually doing something to help me lose weight and take control of my life instead of dying before age 30. You think they would but no they aren't.

I am coming to realize that what WLS did for me was to give me the possibility of seeing my efforts produce results. Before WLS I put in a lot of effort for diminishing results. Now, my efforts are more effective.

EXACTLY how I feel!