Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose this surgery vs others?

jj7481 you are very right with much of what your stating. I agree with it. I am not crazy about things being all scrambled around in there. It's good to hear the recovery seems to be the same timing. I'm glad about that. I have 7 family members who have had bypass also and they all are just fine also other than the dumping issues. They all gained a good bit of their weight loss back also. They seem to be able to eat more than a sleeved person. That's concerning. Although they had much more to lose than I do it still makes me question it. I was glad to learn my doctor does not use a drain tube! That would be a total deal braker for me!

Do you have any family members who have had sleeve? I guess I'm trying to clarify who your comparing your family members to when saying they eat more than sleeved patients?

Dumping is a possibility, but mostly avoidable as long as you stick to your diet and plan. Both pouches and sleeves will stretch after time due to a term call "compliance." Neither RNY nor sleeves will stretch to the original size of the stomach, but they will be able to fit more food after about the first year.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you your family? Do YOU want this to succeed? Success isn't dependent on anything or anyone else but yourself. If you follow the diet set forth by your bariatric team and keep an open line of communication with them...you'll do well.

I don't know why, but I also read that in patients who got the sleeve they had a 76% higher success rate of keeping the weight off compared to the bypass, but patients with bypass did lose 8-15% of their weight loss faster.

I think with some research and time you'll make the right decision for your body. Follow your gut ❤️ & hey, go over it with your surgeon if you wanna. Mine wanted me to get the bypass and I told him my research and concerns and he agreed that the sleeve would be safer and everything long term but it have to gamble on the whole reflux thing, & I have no regrets ????

jj7481 you are very right with much of what your stating. I agree with it. I am not crazy about things being all scrambled around in there. It's good to hear the recovery seems to be the same timing. I'm glad about that. I have 7 family members who have had bypass also and they all are just fine also other than the dumping issues. They all gained a good bit of their weight loss back also. They seem to be able to eat more than a sleeved person. That's concerning. Although they had much more to lose than I do it still makes me question it. I was glad to learn my doctor does not use a drain tube! That would be a total deal braker for me!

Do you have any family members who have had sleeve? I guess I'm trying to clarify who your comparing your family members to when saying they eat more than sleeved patients?

Dumping is a possibility, but mostly avoidable as long as you stick to your diet and plan. Both pouches and sleeves will stretch after time due to a term call "compliance." Neither RNY nor sleeves will stretch to the original size of the stomach, but they will be able to fit more food after about the first year.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you your family? Do YOU want this to succeed? Success isn't dependent on anything or anyone else but yourself. If you follow the diet set forth by your bariatric team and keep an open line of communication with them...you'll do well.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT. The bottom line is this: compliance and vigilance with your daily calories and carbs, and Portion Control. You answer to yourself only. You have to believe in what your doing and give it 100% for it to work. Unless there is a mechanical (surgical and-or physical) issue, bypass and sleeve surgeries work. They are TOOLS you use to help you. Not silver bullets that keep you fat free for life without work and effort. I'm glad you only have 75 to lose! Listen to your Dr and Weightloss team. Do what they ask you to do and you will be successful. It's all about the desire to make it work. Compliance to the diet and caloric intake, daily exercise to burn excess calories and increase weightloss, life long passion to make it stick.

BTW.. I love your username, it's very charming as i, myself, love the meaning and loyalty behind that ancient sign. Be your own best friend, and be loyal to your new life your embarking on. All that truth lies inside you ????

I watched someone I know die a slow miserable death because their intestines were nicked during a surgery for something else. It let to complications and part of their intestines dying. They ended up with a bag and over the course of a year slowly starved to death. All the medical interventions just extended their life but it was a painful terrible life.

I would never take the chance of someone cutting my intestines because if it goes wrong and you live it is a fate worse than death.

That is my life experience and my opinion. Long term they end up the same.

Everyone does not dump. Everyone does not dump a year or 2 out if they dump in the beginning. Your body can adjust to malaborption. If those are a deciding factor in choosing the bypass it is a real role of the dice that you will have these tools for the time you want or at all.

I have an associate that had the bypass at over 2 years out, no dumping at all. Eats anything they want and is regaining. Never hit goal.

It can happen to anyone regardless of surgery type. Meeting goal and maintaining more about the person than the procedure. I'm glad the sleeves exists because the bypass terrified me and I would still be almost 400 lbs if that was the only option for WLS, because there is no way I would let someone cut my healthy intestines.

My doctor said because I was young, active and motivated. The sleeve was a good choice for me. He only suggests the sleeve for older or immobile people.

Also as a single person sleeve was less risky with an easy recovery. I was able to take care of myself day 2, drive on day 3.

I'm pre-op and every bit of information I have gathered says that bypass patients have just as much opportunity to keep the weight off as those that get the sleeve. I'm choosing bypass because I have LPRD (laryngopharyngeal reflux disease), which is worse than GERD because the reflux goes higher in the throat and can irritate the vocal cords. I'm also choosing bypass because not only is it a restriction and malabsorption surgery, but it is also a metabolic surgery, as it changes your brain's weight threshold to the lower, healthier weight. The surgery also changes the chemical balances in the brain to make you less hungry or not hungry at all, up to six months, depending on the individual. The surgery is reversible. And it is the "gold standard" of all weight loss surgeries, and will remain as such. I also wanted to get as few surgeries as possible, and with over a hundred pounds that I need to lose, I'm excited to get the bypass.

Everyone is different and you have to do what is going to work for you. Best wishes. ????

Thank you everyone who commented! I will make what decision my doctor and I feel is right for me. I've done a ton of research on both. I'm not going in blindly. Just with what I know about both I feel more comfortable with the sleeve. Who knows what I'll end up getting until I get all results back and meet with my surgeon in 5 weeks! That's a lot of time between now and then. I just want to feel comfortable with the decision I make. Ive been exposed to the band, bypass and yes the sleeve in both family friends and coworkers. I understand completely that any of them are tools to work with. I guess time shall tell. Thanks everyone!????

I don't know why, but I also read that in patients who got the sleeve they had a 76% higher success rate of keeping the weight off compared to the bypass, but patients with bypass did lose 8-15% of their weight loss faster.

I think with some research and time you'll make the right decision for your body. Follow your gut ❤ & hey, go over it with your surgeon if you wanna. Mine wanted me to get the bypass and I told him my research and concerns and he agreed that the sleeve would be safer and everything long term but it have to gamble on the whole reflux thing, & I have no regrets

You can't speak on bypass complications if you don't have a bypass.I had a bypass and I have no complications.

I was 280 and I got the sleeve.

Now, if we are talking you are 400 or more pounds, than the bypass probably is the best for you.

Personally, I had the sleeve almost two weeks ago & am down to 250.

My Dr pushed me towards the bypass a bit but after research I was 100% sleeve. The sleeve has soooo many less complications. With the sleeve you are 100% capable of keeping up in Vitamins and such but with the bypass you're guaranteed to be deficient- they are literally bypassing a section of your intestine, so you can't absorb as much fat, but you can't absorb as much as Protein and nutrients either. It just seems like a rough time. I feel it's an extreme surgery, & they can't undo it and re route your intestines back to normal.

my high weight is 481. So I'm worried with the sleeve I'd only be able to get down to 300. I'm really planning on working hard and getting below 200 for the first time since middle school.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would lose less with the sleeve procedure. Aren't diet and exercise with the tool that gets you to the goal you want? Not the type of procedure? Why does it matter which procedure you use if you are doing these things, shouldn't you continue to lose no matter what? I'm new at this, so I'm just wondering.

Edited by 2jonboy2

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would lose less with the sleeve procedure. Aren't diet and exercise with the tool that gets you to the goal you want? Not the type of procedure? Why does it matter which procedure you use if you are doing these things, shouldn't you continue to lose no matter what? I'm new at this, so I'm just wondering.

I would think all things equal everyone would get the sleeve. If it was a simple as just diet and exercise no surgery would be needed.

I was completely for the sleeve at my first consultation, but they recommended the bypass, because of the diabetes and gerd. So, it just made more sense after they broke it down for me. And I've been looking at how the surgery is done on youtube. I'm not scared, but I'm anxious to get it over and done with.

My reason for going Roux en Y versus sleeve is quite easy. About 4 years ago i did the lapband surgery which unfortunately failed. The gastric sleeve just like the Band are both restrictive in nature. I had a horrible time with Head hunger etc. I am also Type 2 diabetic with other issues. The Roux en Y has been performed and observed the longest and shows greater long term success. My choice was easy

I've got severe GERD and my doctor recommended RNY over sleeve because of it, since the former can aggravate GERD, while RNY seems to help get rid of it.

Easy choice for me that way.

I also have severe GERD, which has developed into Barret's Esophagus. My surgeon will not offer sleeve surgery to patients with Barret's. I'll be in surgery by the last week of April. I'm nervous but excited at the same time.

I got the bypass because it's the golden standard. Nothing else has proven results for long term weight loss like the bypass does. I got bypassed at 223 pounds, so I don't think that it's only for "super obese" people. It's just proven to work for everybody. Decision made.

I'll be starting at the same weight =) I have been talking to some friends that had the bypass, and they agree with what you've said. However, my husband started at 278 when he was sleeved Feb 1st, and he has dropped over 30 lbs already!