Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relying on feeling full or amount you can eat versus portions

I eat 1/4 cup and feel full right after it. Great now I am in a panic attack mode thinking I am going to stretch my stomach at 4 weeks out. :(

At 4 weeks out, things are VERY different than at 4 years out. Don't panic. I weighed/measured all my food in the beginning, always eating 2 ounces at a time as my nutritionist instructed. I felt overfull A LOT in those early days, because my stomach was still swollen and healing. So the full feeling you are having right now is not the same thing we are talking about in this thread. You need to be measuring your food and eating on a schedule in your early weeks, otherwise you won't eat enough food to sustain you.

OMG!! Thank You!!

I think it's perfectly acceptable and healthy to explore (experientially and in conversation here and other forums) what "acceptably full" feels like. And I certainly don't think the topic is inappropriate to raise.

Yes, many of us have relied on the signal of "overly full" to equate to other things -- a number of other things. So much so that post-op many of us struggle to understand what the physical and emotional sensations of being "satiated" are really like.

Speaking for myself, a bright light that flashes "DONE" doesn't come on when it's time for me to quit eating. For me, satiety and fullness are an issue of degrees. That's why eating smaller bites, chewing well, and eating slower are very helpful to me. Those behaviors give me a chance to recognize when I'm nearing the border of "done eating."

I know some people have learned to recognize "done eating" time when they feel a certain "plop" in some portion of their bodies. Others have other signals. I'd be interested in hearing what the physical and other signals are of when you've reached that threshold.

What about drinking how many sips do you take at one time?

Just another perspective: I'm only 2 weeks out. I do not feel hungry. I essentially do not feel anything related to my stomach. I DO measure out my portions but sometimes I cannot eat that entire portion. I do not feel full or stuffed even when I cannot continue eating. My "hiccup" identifier is the only thing that signifies this to me at this point. I think that may be what some people are referring to when they are trying to figure out when they're full. Not because they're looking to be full or looking to eat more. If I ate my entire portion id probably be in serious trouble sometimes.

What about drinking how many sips do you take at one time?

In my first few weeks, even the teeniest, tiniest sip was a huge ordeal. I struggled to get in the recommended 1 oz. per 15 minutes. Now, at 17 months post-op, I can drink Water like a normal person, taking several large gulps at a time. What you need to understand is, liquid moves through your stomach immediately. It doesn't sit there for any period of time. So once the swelling goes down from the surgery (what made it so hard to sip in the beginning) and your stomach is fully healed, there is no restriction for fluids at all. Some people seem to have some sensitivity to different temperatures of Water or be able to get flavored water down easier even months post-op, but that's not to do with restriction.

The only time drinking liquids will bump up against your restriction is if you are eating and drinking at the same time or drinking immediately after eating.

Just another perspective: I'm only 2 weeks out. I do not feel hungry. I essentially do not feel anything related to my stomach. I DO measure out my portions but sometimes I cannot eat that entire portion. I do not feel full or stuffed even when I cannot continue eating. My "hiccup" identifier is the only thing that signifies this to me at this point. I think that may be what some people are referring to when they are trying to figure out when they're full. Not because they're looking to be full or looking to eat more. If I ate my entire portion id probably be in serious trouble sometimes.

You are doing what you should be. This thread is not about immediately post-op when you are still swollen and healing. This is about months and months post-op, once you are fully healed and learning how to eat long term.

I am 6 months out , and have been thinking I need to go back to measuring.

For me I feel empty and not hungry. I need something every few hours .

I need warm to room temp foods. I can't do cold shakes

I also can't do any spices or acidly foods with any tomatoes because of reflux

Most days I have a shake and eat some Jerky peanuts As Snacks but now lately crackers are now a big hit for me as they don't bother the tummy

I eat probably 6 bites each sitting 4-6 times a day unless it's easy sliders ( like crackers) they are creeping in I think cause I am so bored and need some snack ideas or something small for when I am at work ( biggest issue) and guess what before w l s I was never a cracker fan - loved bread but it sure doesn't like me anymore. And I have slimmed or felt gross over it I don't ever eat

I tried to eat a half of a sandwich last week and slimmed until I threw up. And for some reason chicken nuggets don't do well either ( tried three times in last 3 months while on road trips - no go and full on slime

I hate the full feeling as I feel it's stuck on my chest as someone mentioned. But I also don't like the empty feeling either

I do try and have meat daily (chicken,roast, hamburger , steak etc) obviously I can eat more oz of nuts than meat I just try to stop at a handful

I am worried I am going to become a grazer and eat nothing but sliders . I have a few more pounds left till I am goal , but am worried how to maintain for ever

And I hope one day I can and drink cold again - not that I can't it just makes me uncomfortable and spices and sauces would be great - I think I need some new ideas for foods that will agree with me

Edited by smallbmi

I did not read all of this thread so if what I'm saying has been said before mea culpa..

Nothing to do with feeling full or measuring anything.

It is all in the mind IMO....If you are not actually hungry, don't open your mouth.

Listen to the professionals & remember what you used to do got you to the point of the knife.

[& some have not changed their mindset unfortunately]

Nothing will change in the medium to long term unless some revise their priorities permanently!

@@smallbmi Are you taking anything for your acid issues? I am on a PPI twice a day and that keeps my acid in check. Though it's not ideal, it's better than carrying around 100 extra pounds, so a small price to pay.

@@smallbmi - crackers (carbs) have crept back into my diet and so have nuts(more than a handful)! I have been at the same weight +/- 3lbs for the past 2months. I have started measuring stuff out diligently and taking to work ONLY what I portion out. Grazing is a staring me in the face and I am about 25lbs from my goal and almost 9months out (the 6th). I should be there (goal) or pretty darn close by now.....

"We got this, right?"

My nut just called me and said I should be eating every 3 hours!!

My nut just called me and said I should be eating every 3 hours!!

You should be. How often were you eating?

Only 3 1/4 cup meals and drinking thought out the day with a Protein Drink and crystal light.

Big protip: Eating too much sugar just makes me feel crave more food in general. Weird!

This is absolutely true for me.

For the months before surgery, I only allowed any sweets once a week or less. And it was a small amount even if that. I was shocked at how easy it became after a month or so.

Now, almost two months post op, if I allow myself something with refined sugar (dessert, candy, etc) the next hours and days are miserable because I crave MORE and MORE. It's very challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@smallbmi - crackers (carbs) have crept back into my diet and so have nuts(more than a handful)! I have been at the same weight +/- 3lbs for the past 2months. I have started measuring stuff out diligently and taking to work ONLY what I portion out. Grazing is a staring me in the face and I am about 25lbs from my goal and almost 9months out (the 6th). I should be there (goal) or pretty darn close by now.....

"We got this, right?"

I hope so ! I went grocery shopping today and bought the same stuff I have been eating ???? I think I need to kick my own butt and get into a proper gear I am not counting I am not taking all my Vitamins etc I need to get my act together

Only 3 1/4 cup meals and drinking thought out the day with a Protein drink and crystal light.

Are you meeting your Protein goals like that?