Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

American Sleeved in Jordan!

I am an American living in Saudi Arabia for the past 2 years. My husband found an amazing opportunity here. So here I am after 2 years of living here and I decide to get the surgery. I have been battling alot of back pain and I was clearly overweight. I lied to myself over and over about my weight because I am 5ft 10. Everyone seems to compliment me and say how pretty I am and I shouldn't worry because I'm tall. So one day my neighbor told me her and her husband got it done but to not tell a soul. SHe is an Arab professional and she recommended her doctor and had advised me to do my own research. I made an appt with the doctor for the following month which was January 13th 2016. My husband and I talked about it and he looked at me and said,"if this will make you happier healthier and take this pressure off then let's do it" we prayed about it and then did it. We paid 6000 u.s dollars from our pocket. Can you say cheap? They were very nice people. They treated me with auch kindness. recovery was a nightmare the first 5 days but it got better. I'm having other difficulties now but maybe I should put it in a different post. I weight in at surgery at 243 I am now 221. In only 14 days!! Woohoo

Wow congratulations!

Congratulations, this is awesome!

One thing I have noticed is that many people who have surgery in countries other than the US may not have as much pre- and post-op support. Do you have a NUT? What kind of education/support have you received?

Welcome to the "losers' bench"! I had my surgery in Mexico and paid around the same price. Definitely a lot of cheaper alternatives outside the US, even though many of the surgeons are as good or better than you would find here. I hope you are doing well with your recovery and receiving the follow-up care you need.

Thanks so much guys. Yes I have a nutritionis. I went to an informative class day before surgery but I already knew alot. I didn't have to do any preop diets. So I literally had one last meal the day before. The Dr has been a surgery for 20 years with no known fatalities and he was great.

Thanks so much guys. Yes I was well informed prior to surgery and didn't have to do the preop liquid diet. So I had that one last meal as if I was on death row. It was great. I have a nutritionist and I just follow up with the doctor here. Thank god the hospital I have insurance for is the best one in saudi arabia. I just didn't do my surgery with them because it was double the price and jordan is only an hour and a half away.????

That is quite alright.

Glad to hear you have support. That is one thing I think is critical but not everyone has.

I assume you have a Protein target (mine is 100 grams) and a Fluid target of at least 64 oz.?

Yes exactly that!!!except I have Noone that checks up on me except the follow up. So the nutritionist doesn't come in unless I need to ask something. I get my Water for the most part but not my protejn (it makes me nauseas somedays) like someone else said here I'm pretty alone as far as accountability. I use all the support groups online as a crutch. Thank god and my friend and her husband since they have been sleeved 4 months ago. So far so good. Hope it gets better though.

I have an awesome support team but I have also received some awesome advice, information, and inspiration from this site so it's a win-win.

Yes exactly that!!!except I have Noone that checks up on me except the follow up. So the nutritionist doesn't come in unless I need to ask something. I get my Water for the most part but not my protejn (it makes me nauseas somedays) like someone else said here I'm pretty alone as far as accountability. I use all the support groups online as a crutch. Thank god and my friend and her husband since they have been sleeved 4 months ago. So far so good. Hope it gets better though.

I hope you can work on getting your Protein up. It's truly critical to your healing and health and long term success. Maybe once you are allowed more real foods you can work on getting it up through food and not so much from the Protein shakes. I don't know what you have available to you in Jordan in the way of Protein Shakes, but maybe you could experiment with some different brands and flavors that are available.