Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I normal?

I'm just shy of 4 months post op. I'm still struggling to get my Protein in and as still relying on mostly soft foods.

I still struggle with eggs. Nutritionist says try all foods each week and see if i can grow into tolerating them.

I'm eating only canned fruit, or applesauce Ive tried apples sliced super thin and chew chew chew but I seem to have developed a fear of fresh fruits & veggies.

I can kind of eat cucumber, but in extremely small quantities and no skin. I'm living on Soup and cheese Peanut Butter crackers.

I can eat cheddar cheese but cannot tolerate string cheese (violent ejection)

Lettuce I can do if its iceberg only.

NO raw green peppers, carrots, cabbage, etc.

So the question is.....is this normal and will I be able to ever eat a salad again? eggs? Ever be able to chomp into a crisp apple? Rice? Pasta?

Ever be able to eat white meat chicken and get it to stay down without being covered in broth or gravy.

I gained 1 pound last week, This is a real wake up call for me to get real about what I'm eating. I need to expand my menu. My lack of Protein has lead me to be very sedentary...just have no energy. I developed a sensitivity to whey protein shortly before my surgery. I'm going to try and reintroduce it today in smaller doses and hope that works. I can't seem to digest the thick Protein Bars, did manage to get a crisp bar down yesterday.

I'm a work in progress i guess....trying to cut myself some slack but at the same time need to get real with myself. I've been coasting on cheese/peanut butter crackers to get me out of the hunger zone (quick and easy).

Have you tried refried Beans, veggie burgers?

That's a lot of carby things. How do you do with meat?

That canned fruit is just sugar, disguised as fruit.

I don't eat eggs, they are just a pain in the ass to eat. I will sometimes have one egg over easy or a one egg omelette but that is maybe once a month. I don't know what it is about them that makes them so hard to eat but I'm not really willing to keep trying.

White meat chicken is dry, don't eat it.

Do you eat fish or seafood? Do you eat ground beef? Deli ham? Deli chicken or turkey?

How many grams of Protein are you eating a a day? Carbs? How many total calories?

Protein shakes. 2 a day will give you all the Protein you need. Skip the fruit and applesauce as well as all other sugars and carbs.

Talk to your doctor. By 4 months you should be on regular food. The quantities would still be very small but you should still be eating regular food no less. Perhaps you are trying to eat too much? Overeat and you will vomit.

At 4 months post op I was still living on cheese, yogurt, Soup, and Protein Shakes. Even at 7 months post op now, eggs are still hit or miss for not coming back up. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that chicken and I are through. Occasionally I tolerate a very small amount of a chicken thigh (never breast meat), but generally slow cooker beef or fish are better tolerated for me. I also find chili tolerable, but cannot eat a hamburger (even without the bun).

I guess I am fortunate. I can eat almost anything. I have a hard time with tuna fish salad because early on, I tried to eat a double portion. I brought it to work and didn't want to waste it (old thinking). So other than overdosing on that, I can tolerate anything in moderation. If anything, I find myself eating too fast. I need to learn to SLOW DOWN, chew 20 times, and then swallow. I have felt really stuffed, but haven't thrown up since week 1. I am almost 3 months out.

What did you eat/like pre-opt? Anything healthy?

Thanks all for your input....Its made me feel that yes I'm normal.

I have been resisting calorie counting because I just wanted to do EVERYTHING different this time. I've really got to focus and put the time in and prepare good food. I will continue to try and eat eggs like someone said...I'm at about 1 a month. I have a new stomach, I need to have new thinking.

I too need to slow down and chew better.

As i sit here I am eating persian cucumber (i seem to tolerate these ok) green olives and cheddar cheese. I have also started to journal my food.

Maybe tomorrow I will try and see if I can tolerate a Protein Shake.< /p>

I have been resisting calorie counting because I just wanted to do EVERYTHING different this time. I've really got to focus and put the time in and prepare good food. I will continue to try and eat eggs like someone said...I'm at about 1 a month. I have a new stomach, I need to have new thinking.

As i sit here I am eating persian cucumber (i seem to tolerate these ok) green olives and cheddar cheese. I have also started to journal my food.

Maybe tomorrow I will try and see if I can tolerate a Protein Shake.< /p>

I don't think it's calories that you need to count right now, so much as macro nutrients: Protein, carb, and fat. Your lack of energy is perhaps not just that you aren't getting enough protein, but enough calories overall. Let us know how you're doing!

I guess I am fortunate. I can eat almost anything. I have a hard time with tuna fish salad because early on, I tried to eat a double portion. I brought it to work and didn't want to waste it (old thinking). So other than overdosing on that, I can tolerate anything in moderation. If anything, I find myself eating too fast. I need to learn to SLOW DOWN, chew 20 times, and then swallow. I have felt really stuffed, but haven't thrown up since week 1. I am almost 3 months out.

This is me EXACTLY. Every word of that.

As i sit here I am eating persian cucumber (i seem to tolerate these ok) green olives and cheddar cheese. I have also started to journal my food.< /p>

Maybe tomorrow I will try and see if I can tolerate a Protein shake.

The reason I asked what you liked pre-opt was to suggest that you add those flavors to your eggs. I loved mexican and BBQ. I added those seasonings to my eggs and refried Beans (along with cheese). I also added asian sauces to chicken. Made it all taste good and the low-carb sauces made them go down easier!

Its not the taste of the egg that I can't eat.....its the texture. It actually hurts my sleeve and causes a bit of the dumping syndrome.

I eat all real foods, mostly soft stuff but a few things just hurt :

rice, Pasta, ground beef, white meat chicken (i can get a bit of this down with soupy meals) raw veggies & fruits, eggs, string cheese, white potatoes if mashed, anything greasy or super sweet like orange juice. and where some of these things aren't good for my weight loss some (like eggs) are a good source of Vitamins & Protein. I am eating a lot of sugar free pudding made with skim milk which i fortify with powdered milk but I have never been a fan of asparatime and would like to work that out of my diet.