Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure why these comments bother me

yea the you dont look like yourself, I get a lot but I can completely see that. I look at pictures of me from a year ago and now and I dont recognize myself. there have been people Ive met before, lost touch, then met them again and they dont know I met them before...and I kept it that way lol, never brought up meeting them previously.

You are beautiful and I think we need to help others along with our changes. Lipstick lady is right, a kind education so they know what dummies they are being is the way to go.

How about this one....I am single, at goal, had plastics, look pretty good for my age and have actually been told, more than once "You are so hot, I don't know why you aren't taken" while I treat it as a compliment and am gracious, what I really want to say is "no shortage of men who want to get me naked, but that isn't actually a relationship" only the actual words I want to say are much less pleasant than what I just typed. People generally mean well, but it's a little bit hurtful, it makes me feel like damaged goods on some level.

I sent one of my sons a recent pic of me. He said "where did that come from?" I answered "My phone" He said "I thought it was a picture from when I was little." He is 29. I told him that he is now my favorite child.

I sent one of my sons a recent pic of me. He said "where did that come from?" I answered "My phone" He said "I thought it was a picture from when I was little." He is 29. I told him that he is now my favorite child.

Aweeee that's so cute

He's my favourite now too!

LOVE IT!

You are absolutely adorable.

Answer with a simple, "I'm sure you didn't mean to sound as rude (or offensive) as you just did." And then smile. I got all those comments, too. I truly believe most people are trying to sound supportive/complimentary and don't realize they really sound like f*ckwits. Educate them nicely.

Shut these people down immediately as they make these stupid comments.

They are jealous.You are very attractive so the haters will hate.

yea the you dont look like yourself, I get a lot but I can completely see that. I look at pictures of me from a year ago and now and I dont recognize myself. there have been people Ive met before, lost touch, then met them again and they dont know I met them before...and I kept it that way lol, never brought up meeting them previously.

You look amazing!

I really believe comments like these are meant as compliments. Try to take them as such. It makes life easier. There really is no reason to take offense when none is intended. Even if it is intended, who cares what anyone says? You are doing this for yourself, not for them.

You are absolutely adorable.

Answer with a simple, "I'm sure you didn't mean to sound as rude (or offensive) as you just did." And then smile. I got all those comments, too. I truly believe most people are trying to sound supportive/complimentary and don't realize they really sound like f*ckwits. Educate them nicely.

"F*ckwits" No, no, no...F*ckTARDs What a bunch of idiots. Geez, do people not know the cost of obesity to people's souls and to society and families. ...ok rant over, blood pressure returning to normal.

@@her1981 - some people speak BEFORE they think...ignore their remarks :P

People just don't think before they talk. Most of them are not trying to be hurtful..they just don't think.

You are awesome and you look fabulous. keep up the good work and try not to let insensitive people get to you!

One of the big reasons my boss has not had WLS is that his wife does not want him to get it. Eating and drinking is a big part of their social life. Tailgating at pro-football games- they have season tickets. They are members at an Elk Club and he is on the board. Beer is his drink of choice and the surgeon he consulted never allows his patients to have carbonated beverages again.

The question about if you are trying was probably a way to hint at if you have been sick with cancer or something without coming out and asking directly.

I have been a bad WLS patient. I had a few sessions at my gym with a personal trainer in the spring. I ran into the trainer a few times since then and have not regularly been to the gym since June. I have lost 60 pounds and have changed my hair color. I saw the trainer last week when he was helping another client. He asked if I was done with a particular machine. He absolutely did not recognize me. I don't look like I did 6 months/60 pounds ago. In particular my face/neck is much thinner. I also think as we get thinner how we make eye contact and carry ourselves is different. I think we stop trying to not be noticed. So I can understand that momentary "I didn't recognize you."

I get comments that I am getting too thin even though my BMI is still over 30. When I tell them I am still trying to lose I get, "You better not lose too much more," or "I hope you're not planning on losing any more weight!" Drives me nuts. The comments about your relationship with your husband are in poor taste. I agree. I have had people say they don't recognize me and while I think they do recognize me, I think it's their way of saying I look considerably different.

All of the above. And once more: you look beautiful!