Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dad is thinking of getting sleeved, any advice I should give him

I was sleeved 19/10/15 and I've bee absolutely dropping the weight with some pretty troubling side effects, but mostly doing ok.

My dad is now made up that he's finally going to bite the bullet and also be sleeved. We've talked about it a fair bit and he's been put off by issues I've had.

I've stuck on the path of this has really changed my life in so many ways and I don't regret it at all, although there's been negatives it's better than dying of a heart attack, and that it gives me the restriction I need to succeed.

Dad hasn't been well. He's 170+ kgs and has had a few heart attacks. I'm not sure he'll make 60. He has lost up to 20kgs before on his own and is happy to exercise, but finds food restriction the hardest. We are both terrible coke drinkers. And fast food addicts.

My surgeon operates locally but is mainly at another hospital 50 mins away. I went to him because originally I was considering bypass and the local one didn't do bypass.

Do you think it's better to stick to someone we know or try another person? I didn't like that he wasn't contactable when I had a problem with my sutures, another thing that put dad off.

Also I'm young, Dad isn't. For me it's been about getting to enjoy my life before it passes me by and to be healthy for my daughter. Dad doesn't mind being fat. He does love food though. Any over 45's have anything to offer?

Any help I can get would be appreciated. I don't want to loose my Dad, and Idont want him to be scared.

Have a talk with your Dad and tell him how you feel.

Research information about WLS with him.

Go to a WLS information session at a bariatric hospital and attend some WLS support group meetings with him.

He is very fortunate to have a caring child like yourself.

When selecting the type of surgery, it is important to assess the co-morbidities that your father has. For example if he has severe acid reflux, then RNY is much better way to go than sleeve. The surgical team should be able to help you with this decision.

I drank Cokes for many decades. As part of the requirements for undergoing weigh loss surgery I had to give up caffeine and carbonated beverages. At the beginning of the medically monitored weight loss and exercise program that was a prerequisite for the health insurance, I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit. I lost 20 pounds based on that change alone.

I wrote a couple short articles about my experience with RNY gastric bypass surgery. Here are the links.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

And here is a photograph at 6 month post-op compared to pre-surgery.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg

I am 67 years old and 32 months post-op RNY surgery. And I consider this surgery to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

Your dad is very lucky to have you by his side and caring about his health. Go with him to some seminars and ask questions. Try and find out how common the side effects you have are . They may be something he is unlikely to get.Make enquiries and see how many other Drs in your area do the surgery and try and find out which ones offer consults or seminars before you decide on who to go to. Your Dr or another choice.

You say your dad loves food . Is he really ready to commit to this? You know it is a huge commitment. As for age I had my surgery at 64 and am so glad I did. I feel so much more ready to enjoy they rest of my in comfort and in better health.Good luck to you both in traveling this road.

Your Dad is very young yet and has a lot of life yet to live. He is lucky to have someone like you to love and care about him.

I am 52 years old and had a slew of comorbitities including severe Gerd, type 2 diabetes, anemia, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and stage 3 kidney disease. I also had sleep apnea.

I had RNY bypass because of the Gerd. I have had no complications and all of my comorbitities were resolved.

I am down 139lbs with 6 left to lose to reach my ideal weight.

This surgery is the best thing that ever happened to me.

The biggest thing for your dad is, he has to be ready. If not, he may struggle with following the plan.

I got my sleeve at the age of 62. In the first three months alone, my health changed dramatically for the better. Now at two years out, I am healthier and happier now at the age of 64 than I was in my 30's before I was heavy.

Although I have orthopedic and post-stoke issues that will never go away, at least I can get past them every day with healthier organs and less weight to carry around. If you dad is around 100 pounds overweight, that is like wearing a newborn calf for a belt.

He is so blessed to have someone close to him who would be supportive through this process. Sixty is not too old to get healthier and have a better quality of life.

What troubling side effects have you experienced? Just curious.

I have not had surgery yet.

I want to tell you my experience with fast food. I was on a statin for seven years to control my cholesterol. One year ago this month I was taken off of the medication because I was having chronic muscle pains, which is a known side effect of the medication. My muscle pain never went away so the doctor wanted to put me back on the medication. I refused. I told her I would risk the heart attack.

I stopped eating fast food and I had never fried any of my foods at home either. After only 45 days after I stopped eating the fast food, all of my readings for my lipid panel were normal. I just had my blood work done again last week and my numbers dropped even more. My total cholesterol was 146 (from 172) and my triglycerides were 84 (from 147). My reading were not even that good when I was on the medication and now I have no need for the medication.

Of course everyone is different and there are other factors that can influence ones cholesterol levels like genetics. However, for ME, there was no mistaken how detrimental the fast food was to my health. The good part is that I don't miss it, I don't crave it and even if I am starving I have no desire to stop and get it. It's not as hard as I thought it would be to stop.

Edited by animallover1247

I was sleeved 19/10/15 and I've bee absolutely dropping the weight with some pretty troubling side effects, but mostly doing ok.

My dad is now made up that he's finally going to bite the bullet and also be sleeved. We've talked about it a fair bit and he's been put off by issues I've had.

I've stuck on the path of this has really changed my life in so many ways and I don't regret it at all, although there's been negatives it's better than dying of a heart attack, and that it gives me the restriction I need to succeed.

Dad hasn't been well. He's 170+ kgs and has had a few heart attacks. I'm not sure he'll make 60. He has lost up to 20kgs before on his own and is happy to exercise, but finds food restriction the hardest. We are both terrible coke drinkers. And fast food addicts.

My surgeon operates locally but is mainly at another hospital 50 mins away. I went to him because originally I was considering bypass and the local one didn't do bypass.

Do you think it's better to stick to someone we know or try another person? I didn't like that he wasn't contactable when I had a problem with my sutures, another thing that put dad off.

Also I'm young, Dad isn't. For me it's been about getting to enjoy my life before it passes me by and to be healthy for my daughter. Dad doesn't mind being fat. He does love food though. Any over 45's have anything to offer?

Any help I can get would be appreciated. I don't want to loose my Dad, and Idont want him to be scared.

Make sure dad goes to the most experienced surgeon.He needs to talk to his dr.Do the research and get it done.I had revision to bypass and I am so happy.

I'm still getting over the fact the the OP said 45 wasn't young.

*Goes in the corner and cries*

I remember when I thought 40 was old....I was of course in my teens!!:-)

I remember when I thought 40 was old....I was of course in my teens!!:-)

Exactly! Me too! Remember thinking our parents who were in their 40's were ANCIENT??

Did you say your dad was "over 40"?!? lol. That is YOUNG!!! OMG, so young! He has so much life yet to live. Trust me, that is a young age and you should not think of him as old. He may seem old to you but trust me, and you will be there some day and look back and laugh--this is not old at all. He is at the prime of his life.

You didn't say what your side effects were so I can't speak to those. I had Gastric bypass, not the sleeve and I am very happy I did it! And I was in my *gasp* 50s when I had it done! lol

Haha what I ment by not being young is he's more likely to have post operative risks at his age compared to mine.

We are in Australia and there are not a lot of bariatric surgeons near us. The way we do medical stuff is completely different to the USA. We don't really have seminars and stuff. You just have a consultation.

My dad has sleep apnoea, high blood pressure, a heart condition, osteo issues, and his health is deteriorating. I worry about him long term and I know he could do it with this. Bypass would be better for him but the risks are far higher and I couldn't bare to loose him or for my mum to be on her own.

The two surgeons I think are comparable, but WLS is not common here. People still do Banding more than anything else. Which initially is was put my dad off.

If you have no seminars look for Alex Brechers books on bariatric surgery. There is one on WLS in general and then individual ones for each surgery. They are called the "Big Book of (insert name of surgery)". They are available on line and I am sure the Bariatric Pal Store must carry them. Really great books so packed with information and support as well as realistic info on possible problems. You might even find them on ebay in Australia which would cut down on shipping costs as they are big fat books. Plenty there for your to "chew on".