Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing this thing all alone, any suggestions?

does your bariatric center have a support group? Do you have a therapist, and one that understands and knows how to help you?

So my center combines info seminars with support groups which makes it kind of odd. I do like the therapist who did evaluation but was kind of wanting support from someone who has been there done that. Especially being a type 2 diabetic "pumper" for eight years going into DS surgery.

You're not alone--you have us!! lol. I would suggest support groups. You might try a few out--try the ones within your center but also try some that are not related to your center at all. I think OA is out there and pretty good, though I have heard varying degrees of info about how some people at these feel about weight loss surgery. Doesn't mean don't go, just a heads up.

Local support groups can be a great resource as can online forums such as this. If you don't like your current support group try to search out another on close by. Until then, you've got plenty of support here.

You have us dear. Keep posting. We will read and support!

jjcason, I have not "been there done that" yet, but I am close. I have one more appointment with NUT and 1 more appointment with Psychology. Once they both sign off, it goes to insurance for final approval. Then surgery schedule date! I'm nervous, excited, scared, and worried. I'm anxious to get the ball rolling already, but of course like anyone else, a bit scared of the unknown at this point. Reading through the threads here has helped me to realize I'm not the only one to have these emotions/feelings, and that pretty much everyone here would have done this sooner had they known.

Like you, I am a T2 Diabetic on a pump. I've been pumping for almost 4 years now. In the beginning, the pump really helped me to get control of my blood sugar numbers and to lower my A1C. However, just like everything else in my life, my numbers starting rising and back out of control and I've not been able to get them back down since. Now they tend to yo-yo, and I don't understand why. I have not changed my eating habits (I eat low carb; actually very low carb). I continue to gain weight because of the amount of insulin I have to continue upping to even keep my numbers in a somewhat better place, and when I do have a good blood sugar day, I sit and wonder what I did different? The answer is a usual frustrating nothing different.

I totally understand your need to know if this is going to help. I myself am curious as well. It is my last hope however since I've been on pretty much every drug out there, tried different diets, exercise, etc. My endo doctor has nothing more to offer other than WLS.

I'm here to hold hands through this with you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Hugs.

I am also a type two diabetic. I had the GS because my insulin kept going up as well as my BG. I am two weeks postop and have stopped taking my basal all together. I am sliding scale over 160. Huge change. For me it was not about weight loss but a way to get this diabetes under better control the weight loss is a plus. Seems to be working ????

MSDiggs, that is wonderful news! I've been T2 for at least the past 20 years. Mine began gestationally, but after my youngest daughter was born it did not go away. Fast-forward to today and it is just a bear trying to get below 200 anymore. I'm so happy to see that you have had success to date, and only 2 weeks postop.

I, like you, am doing this for my health. The weight loss will be a plus, but that is not the reason I'm doing this. I have no other options and my kidney's are beginning to show slight damage. I can't have that. I try so darn hard to keep my health in check, and to not have control of this is literally killing me.

Now I'm more anxious than ever!!!

Good to hear @renkoss. Our stories are very similar mine started with first pregnancy back in 1985 so thirty years in. My decision was made because every new med that I tried had its own set of side effects. I am so fortunate that to date I have had now signs of complications from my diabetes and decided that now was the time to keep that from happening.

????????your almost there!

You guys are kindred to me !!! Been a diabetic for 8 years, we progressed very quickly from meds to all kinds and combos of insulin, almost 15/16 shots a day. Still with moderate control. Been on a pump almost 5 years just recently have had better control but I'm miserable. My carb to insulin ratio is 1/1. That's right. Insulin makes me feel horrible. So here we are flash forward and I am waiting to hear clearance for wls ! Very excited for the chance at a second chance !! ????

Hi there ????! That's right, you are not alone here. I saw how many other diabetic posts popped up to greet you and share their story. See!?!? Welcome, and wishing you nothing but success!!

Thats whats good about this site......none of us are alone and Im so grateful!

Soexcited, glad you are going for the bypass. I seem to be seeing and reading people who had the gastric band would lose weight, but had either problems or had it removed, and then had either bypass or sleeve. Those who had problems or had removed seemed to begin gaining weight back relatively quick. Perhaps they will stop that procedure all together.

We are all in this thing called life together, and let's face it, we want to be healthy, active, and be able to grow old! I have two more visits toward the end of February. After that it's final approval time and scheduling time. I cannot wait to just do this already.

Congrats to all of us for choosing this for ourselves. Good Luck to one and all!