Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've started the process to be approved for surgery, I meet with my nutritionist Monday and Tuesday I set my appointment for the psych evaluation. What are the pros and cons of either option? Personal results/preferences/experiences? What no one ever told you. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

You really need to read and research yourself.

My opinion is this. You can lose with either. You can regain and never meet goal with either. People with bypass regain all the time and lots never meet goal. They are both tools and you can eat around them.

I know someone through professional work connections who had bypass. Did great the first 1.5 years. Met a guy started eating more then stopped working out. Never got to goal and started regaining.

Don't choose bypass just because of dumping as an incentive not to eat wrong because everyone doesn't dump and even those that do, your intestines can adapt over time and it won't be as effective.

I chose sleeve because I was already active and Portion Control was my issue. I didn't want my intestines touched. The sleeve has been performed for around 100 years for stomach issues not related to weight loss. It has the longest track record as a safe surgery that people can a long time with. Since I am still a young person, it made the most sense to me.

Read research and decide for yourself. Short term the bypass has better results but long term the results end up being the same and the reason why is it depends on the person really changing their life and their habits.

Generally if you have severe acid reflux (GERD), then RNY is preferred over sleeve.

They are both good procedures. I thknk I have weighed in on this question twice this week. One of the threads had alot of good comments, might be worth looking for.

I was sleeved 4 years ago, maintaining at half my former weight, couldn't be happier with results.

The sleeve has been performed for around 100 years for stomach issues not related to weight loss. It has the longest track record as a safe surgery that people can a long time with.

Mind if I ask where you got this info from? It's actually gastric bypass that has the earliest roots in surgery dating back to the 1960's and has evolved to the safest track record. The first sleeve wasn't performed until 1988 and has evolved since then.

Not trying to nit-pick, just seeing what information is being published that I may not be aware of.

https://asmbs.org/resources/story-of-obesity-surgery

http://bariatrictimes.com/the-history-of-sleeve-gastrectomy/

My opinion is this. You can lose with either. You can regain and never meet goal with either. People with bypass regain all the time and lots never meet goal. They are both tools and you can eat around them.

I know someone through professional work connections who had bypass. Did great the first 1.5 years. Met a guy started eating more then stopped working out. Never got to goal and started regaining.

Don't choose bypass just because of dumping as an incentive not to eat wrong because everyone doesn't dump and even those that do, your intestines can adapt over time and it won't be as effective.

I chose sleeve because I was already active and Portion Control was my issue. I didn't want my intestines touched. The sleeve has been performed for around 100 years for stomach issues not related to weight loss. It has the longest track record as a safe surgery that people can a long time with. Since I am still a young person, it made the most sense to me.

Read research and decide for yourself. Short term the bypass has better results but long term the results end up being the same and the reason why is it depends on the person really changing their life and their habits.

My issue is also portion control. Whether it's brownies or broccoli, I eat till I'm full. I've been leaning towards the sleeve because it is less evasive. I have a friend whose had each one and they both swear by their procedure. The appeal to bypass was the dumping which I was hoping may help with eating the wrong things but I don't like the risk of becoming malnourished because my body can't absorb all the nutrients it needs.

Yes, this issue comes up often from my limited experience on this forum. My reasons for bypass:

1. My stomach remains whole and if RNY needs be...it can be reversed as God originally plumbed it. Gastric sleeve removes more than half of your stomach which cannot be replaced.

2. Gastric bypass has shown to return ghrelin levels to normal regulation within several months post op.

3. My BMI was >50 which makes gastric bypass the gold standard for faster weight loss.

The sleeve has been performed for around 100 years for stomach issues not related to weight loss. It has the longest track record as a safe surgery that people can a long time with.

Mind if I ask where you got this info from? It's actually gastric bypass that has the earliest roots in surgery dating back to the 1960's and has evolved to the safest track record. The first sleeve wasn't performed until 1988 and has evolved since then.

Not trying to nit-pick, just seeing what information is being published that I may not be aware of.

Look up gastrectomy. They have been doing them on ulcer, cancer patients and wounded war vets long before weight loss surgery. You can live without a stomach entirely. Removing part it all of the stomach and people still living long lives was known long before they decided to do it for weight loss. The surgery concept itself is not new at all. Large numbers of people being so fat that they need surgical intervention is.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Look up gastrectomy. They have been doing them on ulser, cancer patients and wounded war vets long before weight loss surgery. You can live without a stomach entirely. Removing part of the stomach and people still living long lives was known long before they decided to do it for weight loss.

Yes, and that's where RNY got it's birth. Actual sleeve gastrectomy wasn't developed until almost 30 years later.

Cutting off the stomach and calling it something different for fat people doesn't make it a new invention. That is like saying taking asprin for your heart instead of for a fever is a new invention. It is just different marketing. This is an old surgery repurposed.

just so you know a nissen fundoplication is not a gastric sleeve. the sleeve has not been used for 100 years.

Yes, this issue comes up often from my limited experience on this forum. My reasons for bypass:

1. My stomach remains whole and if RNY needs be...it can be reversed as God originally plumbed it. Gastric sleeve removes more than half of your stomach which cannot be replaced.

2. Gastric bypass has shown to return ghrelin levels to normal regulation within several months post op.

3. My BMI was >50 which makes gastric bypass the gold standard for faster weight loss.

Your stomach does NOT remain whole. You have a little pouch that is made. The difference between GB and the sleeve is with GB they leave the remaining larger part of your stomach attached while with the sleeve it is removed(normally 85% is removed). I wouldn't want any newbies to miss understand what you are saying.

Your stomach does NOT remain whole. You have a little pouch that is made. The difference between GB and the sleeve is with GB they leave the remaining larger part of your stomach attached while with the sleeve it is removed(normally 85% is removed). I wouldn't want any newbies to miss understand what you are saying.

Thanks for the information. I think I'm still a few months away from getting it done, I want to know all I can so when the time comes I am well informed. I was curious about the pain. I've had three c section in 4 years, all of which were very easy to recover from. Is it similar? Worse or better?

@@kennen08 This is really a discussion for you to have with your surgeon, who can review all of your specific medical requirements and help you make a decision as to which procedure is best. I had friends who had completed both procedures and did very well. I also work with someone who has had all three procedures (lap band, sleeve and RNY) and has failed with each of them.

I opted for VSG because at my weight and medical status it seemed to be the best option. My surgeon agreed.

At the end of the day it is really about changing your eating habits and lifestyle. Any surgery is only a tool to help you make that change and become healthier.

Yes, indeed. Nevertheless, your whole stomach remains inside your body. Albeit, divided in two. Unlike having more than half removed from your body.