Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I spoke with my surgeon's office yesterday. She said, patients receiving insurance approval today were being scheduled for surgery in March. My last nutrition appointment is Feb 8th; which also happens to be my very last requirement for surgery. At that point, they will submit to insurance for approval. At that rate, I'm looking at an April surgery.

I was upset, but that gives me time to make sure I'm in a good place emotionally, mentally, physically. I'm currently 325 lbs at 5'8", so I figure even though my surgeon and insurance don't require weight loss right now, any amount will help me heal faster and get through the process a little bit healthier.

Anyone else looking at April/May surgery date? Sounds soo far away, but 3-4 months will fly by!

I think I am in the same boat as you! I will have everything done March 13 then I have to wait for approval.

Use the time in-between to make lifestyle modifications. I know the mos before my surgery I spent time making cognitive changes towards the foods I was eating, and not having in my house. There is plenty you can do while in the "holding pattern."

I think I am in the same boat as you! I will have everything done March 13 then I have to wait for approval.

That's great! We can be buddies :)

I haven't told anyone, except my husband, what my plans are. I simply don't want to hear the negative response I will get. Have/will you told anyone? I mean, it's not a huge secret, I just don't want to deal with stupid.

Use the time in-between to make lifestyle modifications. I know the mos before my surgery I spent time making cognitive changes towards the foods I was eating, and not having in my house. There is plenty you can do while in the "holding pattern."

I completely agree with you; it's so important to be ready for the lifestyle change. I had the psych eval, and even though I don't require additional psychology appts, I just started seeing one to help me with the adjustment. I'm also making healthier food choices and doing 2 Protein shakes a day. I know the surgery will just be an additional tool, so I'm really trying to wrap my mind around all of the changes I need to make.

No, I've only told my husband and my parents. Somehow my sister found out.. she gave me a lecture last night on how I just need to eat low carb and plenty of people on FB have done it without surgery. I sat there, but ignored her. She's 5'8" like me, but has been 130 lbs her entire life. She just doesn't understand the struggle.

My feeling is, it's none of their business! We want to live life, be happy, look and feel amazing! They should be excited for us and encourage us, not beat us down :) So, maybe I'll tell people after surgery, but not now, I don't want the lectures LOL

The Protein shakes aren't really necessary at this stage until you actually start the pre-op diet. Don't get bogged down and worried about all the details because you'll psych yourself out. Your weight loss team will guide your through the proper steps. Until then just start making habits of healthier food choices (cutting out the processed carbs, sugars, etc), and start a fitness routine.

You could use this short period of time to cut out caffeine,sodas and excess sugar...It take as awhile to detox.The caffeine headaches when I gave up coffee ...it took me 3 weeks to get it out of my system.I started to eliminate refined sugars and snacking.Beleve me the time goes quickly.

You could use this short period of time to cut out caffeine,sodas and excess sugar...It take as awhile to detox.The caffeine headaches when I gave up coffee ...it took me 3 weeks to get it out of my system.I started to eliminate refined sugars and snacking.Beleve me the time goes quickly.

Yes! This is what I need to do. Caffeine withdraw headaches are the worst, might as well get them out of the way now :)

Have your last bit of sinful meals and then say goodbye starting in Feb.I had to have my Pasta, favorite Desserts etc.Then I started the food caffeine detox.Oh the caffeine withdrawal headaches was the worse.I started with a sort of Dukan/Atkins approach.I cut out sugar and carbs.I had oatmeal with Greek yogurt,steamed vegetables and a small Protein with salad or steam vegetables for dinner.Lots of spinach and kale which I steamed and sautéed in garlic and a bit of chicken broth.It started to get easier and by the time my 2 week pre op I was ready.2 days before surgery I used Miralax, dieters tea and collace to clean my system out before surgery.I purchased a good ice pack and a electric heating pad which I practically live with post op.I went Soup shopping including ((Pacific foods)organic in the carton.I ordered my BariMelts Vitamins, B12, biotin,C,Calcium Citrate,liquid iron.Bariatric Pal store is a good place to start.I purchased a few bariatric books and samples of different types of protein drinks....before you know it the time will come.It all happens so fast.Prepare.

I know! This is like torture! I will be submitting to insurance on april 7th and then my surgeon requires a month long liquid diet so I will be getting it in mid may at the earliest. My first time meeting with the office for the info session was in early august so it feels like a lonnnnnng process. I am currently making some good changes in my relationship to food though and am looking for a therapist to help me with the transition. I can't seem to lose any weight but I know I am making many positive changes.

Patience is just not my strong point, I guess!

Kat

I know! This is like torture! I will be submitting to insurance on april 7th and then my surgeon requires a month long liquid diet so I will be getting it in mid may at the earliest. My first time meeting with the office for the info session was in early august so it feels like a lonnnnnng process. I am currently making some good changes in my relationship to food though and am looking for a therapist to help me with the transition. I can't seem to lose any weight but I know I am making many positive changes.

Kat

Kat

I hear you, this IS torture lol. I see shows like 'My 600 lb Life' and wonder how Dr. N can just approve them asap or whenever he wants, but I'm starting to try to slow my mind down and really work on this. My Dr. wants me exercising 30 min/ day before surgery... I will admit I can only do about 10 min at a time and then I need a break. Last night was the first time I could walk the mall (needed 2 breaks), but I did it!

I'm submitting for insurance in march and should have an April date. Thankfully I don't have a liquid diet preop just the last two days

I am looking at March/April surgery date myself . Can't wait!!!