Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does hunger feel like now?

I had gastric bypass surgery on December 29th, and I can't tell when I'm hungry anymore. Before surgery, hunger used to feel like my stomach grumbling and I'd feel like a tightness in my core and I'd know, intuitively, that it's time to eat. Now, I don't know if I've felt hungry at all since the surgery. Sometimes I feel stomach pain like almost gas pain, and I eat something and feel a little better. Daily, I'm working on my fluids - and drinking my Protein. I don't really focus on food at all, and I eat like maybe 2 times a day - cottage cheese and a little Greek yogurt. I'm going to start trying soft foods next week. In your experience, what does hunger now feel like to you?

I had mine 12/21 and am in the same boat. I never feel hungry. I'm eating 3 times a day because I know I have to. Never get hungry. I've been wondering how long that lasts.

WOW...!! Hard to believe how things are going to change Feb 10th. Thanks so much for these conversations, the doctors don't tell you this stuff

my hunger came back at about five months out, which I guess is common. A lucky few never get it back *at all*. It's so much easier to stick to the program when you're never hungry!!

I had mine December 1, and I'm never hungry either. I force myself to eat.

My surgery was September 4, 2015 and I am never hungry. In the mornings sometimes I feel weak and I know that I need to have Breakfast. The rest of the day I eat because I have to and always check my tracker to make sure I have eaten enough for the day.

FYI: early on stomach grumbling is probably your stomach healing not hunger pains. When I now have a drink and my system is empty I can actually feel/hear the liquid moving through my tummy and intestines, NEAT!!

Just had surgery 4 days...help! Not hungry at all but the swelling/bloating and gas is painful...I figure there's no room for food because of all the gas which may be why I'm not hungry? I'm following all Protein and Fluid requirements and pureed foods, forcing myself to eat. No weight loss seen, actually gained due to the gas!!! How do you get rid of this swollen stomach from gas?

kcbrook13 - not sure if this is true, but I've heard that hunger goes away because your nerves were cut during surgery. When they grow back, it comes back.

you probably haven't lost weight yet because you were pumped full of fluids during surgery. It takes a few days to lose it, but it'll come off - and then some!

as for pains and gas - does your surgeon have you taking a PPI like omeprazole (Prilosec) or Nexium? A lot of patients take it for a few months after surgery.

@@kcbrook13

It gets better! just hold on....everyone said i wouldn't lose weight right away because of all the fluids they pump in you in the hospital, so don't expect it then you won't be disappointed. It takes a week to ten days and then you'll see results! Also, just keep doing exactly what they tell you to do as far as eating even if you don't feel hungry. I haven't felt hungry yet and i'm almost six weeks out. Lost 40 pounds as of this morning; woohooo!

Just be patient and endure those first few days...it gets better.

I'm in the same boat as I don't fee the typical "full stomach." This is normal and why it's important to stick to your portion sizes for the stage diet stage you are on. The hunger hormone ghrelin returns to normal regulation of hungar signals to the brain after a few months.

I feel hungry at night , I thought I wouldn't feel hunger , so it bugs me because I wanna eat! Drinking and eating fine, first post op next week so I'll see what they say! Surgery was 1/11/16

If you are eating right you should never be hungry. You should be eating just your measured portion then after waiting drinking Water till the next meal. If you drink Fluid between meals you will never feel hungry. Your stomach will always fill full and acid won't have time to build up.

With bypass the feeling of actual hunger does come back. They did cut the part of your stomach where the hunger hormones are but that will repair itself down the road.

For me, it came back right around the end of my 4th month. That is why it is important in the beginning to measure your food and have a schedule of what you are going to eat and when. In the beginning it is even difficult to tell if you are full.

Many people will begin to hiccup or will have a deep sigh. That is a warning that you need to stop now. For a bypass patient one more bite could send you to the commode to vomit. After the first time or two, you will figure out what full is supposed to feel like. You should never feel stuffed, that is not good to do to yourself and it is unnecessary.

This is all about learning how to eat again. Your hunger will likely come back but even then it is not that gnawing hunger you used to have and a tiny little portion will find you full again in just a few bites.

Remember skippin meals is not good for your metabolism. You need to eat 3 meals a day from the plan your surgeon gave you which should include a good high Protein well balanced nutritional plan. This is what will train your body and correct your metabolism.

For now, focus on 48 to 64 oz. of fluids (non caloric)

1 gram of Protein for every inch you are tall minimum

Vitamins per your surgeons plan

Then food also based on your surgeons plan

It will get easier every day, I promise!