Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Sugar Levels - Diabetes Questions

So just got my surgery and I am about at week 3. My surgeon had me stop all medication after the surgery, including diabetic medication. The first two weeks my blood sugar was low, like mid 70 all the time. Suddenly I am noticing it rising again, Its like been mid 80s and today it was 103. I am thinking I need to take it again.

I am kind of bummed out, I was hoping I wouldn't need to take the darn pills anymore.. Looks like I'll need to crush it and choke it down :(

- LN

First off congrats!!! I also was diabetic presurgery and BAD I was on insullin and pills and my A1C was 13...I had to get it down to 8 to even have the surgery. A year later it is normal...for the first time in 20 years! My doctor told me no drugs unless it hits 150. Your body is just adjusting...103 is NORMAL! It will level out..just keep taking your sugars and keep a good log. When you see your NUT when you are ready to start eating food again, he can give you some good advice. Remember, this is just a TOOL. You still have to watch your diet. There is no cure for diabetes. This just kind of puts in remission. Good luck! Dont be discouraged!

First off congrats!!! I also was diabetic presurgery and BAD I was on insullin and pills and my A1C was 13...I had to get it down to 8 to even have the surgery. A year later it is normal...for the first time in 20 years! My doctor told me no drugs unless it hits 150. Your body is just adjusting...103 is NORMAL! It will level out..just keep taking your sugars and keep a good log. When you see your NUT when you are ready to start eating food again, he can give you some good advice. Remember, this is just a TOOL. You still have to watch your diet. There is no cure for diabetes. This just kind of puts in remission. Good luck! Dont be discouraged!

@@loriemoms Thanks for the encouraging words, Amazing how you've done!

I know 103 is norm, in fact my sugar levels on meds never went above 130. When I got the meds, my A1C was almost 9, but since I went on a diet and stopped stuffing down sugars (months before my surgery) it dropped down to 5.7.

Why I am concerned? Well, the rise in numbers and my legs are starting to swell up (again).

When is your next appointment? You may want to give your doctor a call or your encro..Are you able to do any walking to get circulation going?

@@loriemoms Thanks for the encouraging words, Amazing how you've done!

I know 103 is norm, in fact my sugar levels on meds never went above 130. When I got the meds, my A1C was almost 9, but since I went on a diet and stopped stuffing down sugars (months before my surgery) it dropped down to 5.7.

Why I am concerned? Well, the rise in numbers and my legs are starting to swell up (again).

My sugars were up from the surgery until about a week after surgery. The trauma to your body from the surgery causes it to rise. I would call the doc especially about the swelling,

Well the swelling was a common issue before I started the meds and after taking the meds it basically went away. My doctor had me have my legs checked, I don't have any blockages or anything, just poor circulation in them.

When the swelling went down, he told me that happens and a lot of doctors put people on a very low dose of Metformin to help with swelling in their legs.

Edit: sorry forgot to add, I can walk fine, I am back up to about 2 to 3 miles a day of walking with no issues.

Edited by Lord Nikon