Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need cheap vitamins and B12. Insurance not covering.....

I was sleeved 12/16 and just found out that my insurance does not cover ANY Vitamins or B12, even if deemed "medically necessary"! Does anybody else have this issue and how have you overcome it?

I am willing to pay for things to maintain my health, but obviously I don't want to fork over big bucks for maintenance meds that I need for the rest of my life!!

Advice please?

I will pass along my NUTs advise.

Go to your local pharmacy when they aren't busy with your list of Vitamins and ask your pharmacist to help you find the best/cheapest versions.

Also, stock up when they are on sale .

Vitamins and supplements are expensive, but for me it balances out since I am no longer paying half my check to the coca-cola company!

Broadly speaking, insurance doesn't cover drugs or supplements available without a prescription. A lot of deals can be found online. I use the Flintstones chewables vites and they're very reasonably priced. I found a sublingual B12 at CVS that does the trick, also reasonable. Since I'm preop, I'm taking Calcium from costco, I have to figure out what to do postop. I hate the taste and texture of the chews.

I spend less than $20 a month on Vitamins. It's worth it to protect my health.

Most stores that have brand name Vitamins run a BOGO sale once a month when you can stock up for basically half price. I take gummy vitamins and B12. The B12 is something like $10 and it lasts a month or longer. gummies are not much more expensive and also last awhile. You don't need to buy the specialty bariatric Vitamins. As an extra note, I didn't take any vitamins regularly for the first year of the sleeve and all of my blood test values were exactly where they should be without supplements. I generally forget to take the B12 until I feel like I'm tired more than i should be, then I take it for a few days and forget about it again. While yes, vitamins are important, their total cost is really very insignificant when you aren't blowing money on the bariatric version that is really no better than the standard kind you buy at CVS. I have heard that Gummy vitamins may not be absorbed as well, so research that for yourself. I take them because regular vitamins make me incredibly sick and I figure double the dose of a gummy Vitamin beats no vitamins at all.

Thank you everybody! I have no experience with Vitamins because I have never taken them in my life so even basic suggestions like gummies are very helpful!

Walgreens and CVS (plus other chains) run different weekly buy-one-get-one-free ads for their own brand or name brands.

I usually buy the store brands.

I get my supplements at Walgreens, watching for the Buy One - Get One sales. I get a generic Vitamin for Women over 50, because it has extra B Vitamins in it. The only other one I am buying right now is the sublingual B12, which tastes not so bad. I am two years out and my last bloodwork in December was outstanding.

Costco!

I personally cannot stand the gummies. I prefer a chewable and the sublingual B-12. I too have heard they are not as well absorbed.

I do splurge on Bariatric Vitamins. However, you don't need them. Many NUTS recommend 2 Flintstone chewables.< /p>

GNC has a sale for "members" each month. I think it is the first week of the month.

costco has a great price on most Vitamins. My guess is Sam's Club and BJs have ones that are priced around the same.

As others have said watch for BOGO sales at Walgreens, Rite-aid, CVS and stock up. Generic is fine. The form is up to you and what you will tolerate. (gummies, chewable, capsules).

I have a Centrum adult chewable multi that is around $10 at Walmart for 100 pills, my B12 (also from Walmart) was around $5 for 200 pills. I wasn't about to spend a ton of money on my Vitamins from bariatric websites, these work just fine for me!

there's always Dollar General or Family Dollar and even Wal Mart ...

Kroger always has BOGO on their brand and Nature Made ...

There are so many options ... and others are right ...

when you're not blowing your money on candy/soda/chips/ice cream/fast food anymore ... Vitamins are CHEAP!

Trader Joe's High Potency chewable Multi's are the cheapest chewable multi's I have found. They taste fine, are low calorie and low carb, and my labs have always been great. I also buy things like sublingual B12 there -- they have great prices.

I also buy from costco. I hate gummies. I get children's chewable Multivitamins, sublingual B12 (rapid dissolve), Iron pills, and Calcium chocolate chews there.

I also take Probiotics every day, and I get those from costco as well. My digestive system works better after my doctor had me start them a year or so ago (well before surgery).

I've had to take Vitamin D long before I was sleeved, and my insurance covers the prescription strength ones that I take once a week.